autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin AutoScrub vs Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

I am planning to use synthetic clay bar for the first time.

I was wondering whether there is a significant difference between Nanoskin and Mothers in terms of how well it picks up contaminants. I can just buy Speed Clay at local store while I have to order Nanoskin...

Furthermore, are there things I should be aware of as a first-time synthetic clay bar user? (Scratches, etc?). Are there any disadvantages compared to actual clay? I've heard of people complain about synthetic clay's reluctance to conform to car's curves and contours. What are some tips for using synthetic clays?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin AutoScrub vs Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    I am planning to use synthetic clay bar for the first time.

I was wondering whether there is a significant difference between Nanoskin and Mothers in terms of how well it picks up contaminants. I can just buy Speed Clay at local store while I have to order Nanoskin...

Furthermore, are there things I should be aware of as a first-time synthetic clay bar user? (Scratches, etc?). Are there any disadvantages compared to actual clay? I've heard of people complain about synthetic clay's reluctance to conform to car's curves and contours. What are some tips for using synthetic clays?

Thank you
    The Nanoskin I use is a Mitt. Faster and larger than mothers. Material is perhaps better... but similar I feel. Drol and rinse and go. Mitt will conform. I think the Mitt may remove a little more / better than the mothers. We have both and clay. Mitt is just quicker.

Figure polishing at least either way... helps anyway with marring that can happen with either medium.

Good luck

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

3. Likes mrq0604 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    The Nanoskin I use is a Mitt. Faster and larger than mothers. Material is perhaps better... but similar I feel. Drol and rinse and go. Mitt will conform. I think the Mitt may remove a little more / better than the mothers. We have both and clay. Mitt is just quicker.

Figure polishing at least either way... helps anyway with marring that can happen with either medium.

Good luck

Ryan

Thanks for your input!

I've heard that clay is better... Is this true? Should I use both clay and synthetic clay?

Post Thanks / Like

Clay is more thorough IMO. Both work well. If in no hurry use clay. We typically make a fresh bucket of suds and use nano skin mitt

6. Likes mrq0604 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just from my point of view:
    - if this is your first time using a synthetic clay products, why not stick with the basics from the local auto parts store first and see how you like it...you can always branch out later...
    * i've used the mothers 2.0 several several times, as well as the G.'s Garage Brand, And I personally like the mothers much better. Much harder Solid material, fits nicely in hand etc, it's so easy man, You really can't screw this up unless your an absolute first time car washer period, or maybe if you're missing one arm and one leg also.

1 quick "pointer": When using detail spray, or other lubricator, I myself think Griots garage waterless car wash (green) is the #1 best and most importantly "highest lubricity" product on the market for this purpose. I mean this stuff is awesome, I personally have it beating out everyone's waterless car wash, and also just about every quick detailer or even spray wax I've ever tried except for a few....

** just be sure to wipe down that synthetic bar afternoon, don't drag dirt/sand around, I like to thoroughly wash & dry the vehicle, along with the entire parking area around and under the vehicle as well before beginning, just in case clay 2.0 falls on the ground so you don't pick up any / as much sand.

Have fun !

8. Likes mrq0604 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more1397 View Post
    Just from my point of view:
    - if this is your first time using a synthetic clay products, why not stick with the basics from the local auto parts store first and see how you like it...you can always branch out later...
    * i've used the mothers 2.0 several several times, as well as the G.'s Garage Brand, And I personally like the mothers much better. Much harder Solid material, fits nicely in hand etc, it's so easy man, You really can't screw this up unless your an absolute first time car washer period, or maybe if you're missing one arm and one leg also.

1 quick "pointer": When using detail spray, or other lubricator, I myself think Griots garage waterless car wash (green) is the #1 best and most importantly "highest lubricity" product on the market for this purpose. I mean this stuff is awesome, I personally have it beating out everyone's waterless car wash, and also just about every quick detailer or even spray wax I've ever tried except for a few....

** just be sure to wipe down that synthetic bar afternoon, don't drag dirt/sand around, I like to thoroughly wash & dry the vehicle, along with the entire parking area around and under the vehicle as well before beginning, just in case clay 2.0 falls on the ground so you don't pick up any / as much sand.

Have fun !
    Wow. Thanks for detailed response. I really appreciate it

I have one bar of clay laying around, so I'll use combination of both

Post Thanks / Like

With synthetic clay always beginning with all of the glass first time you use it. It has a protected first layer that needs to be abraded off. And doing the glass first is enough for the synthetic clay to be ready for the paint. Many don't do this and get it to break in on the paint and you will be seeing some marring. With a good lubrication you can do good. But polishing is recommended afterwards if you have a lot of contaminants that needs to be clayed off. If you have a lot of contaminants it can be a better choice with the clay bar in effectiveness. Also what many do is to use the clay alternatives too long before cleaning it. It's trickier to see what you pick up with the clay alternatives vs clay bars. But it should pick up the same amount of contaminants. So do as you useally do with clay bars when it time to fold it you rinse the clay alternatives instead. Otherwise it's pretty much as claying with a clay bar.

If you want to see how effective your clay alternative is. Do a little test spot with the clay bar you have on a spot you have a feel of been clayed enough with the clay alternative.

And as with clay bars the clay alternatives has also different quality between brands. So go with one that you have heard great things about. Have not used the options you chose between but Nanoskin is a high quality from what I have seen people mentioned. Mothers one I have not heard anything about. If you are not going to be polishing afterwards I highly recommend to have some kind of inspection light and check a spot before and after and see how you are doing. Different paints is more scratch sensitive than others and it's not so fun to see that you have a lot of clay marring when you are done with it.

11. Likes mrq0604 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just used Griots synthetic (1st synthetic clay). I chose this over the mothers as I found overall better reviews on it than the mothers. I felt it but better even surface pressure than trying to hold towel or mitt by hand.

I have a 16 mustang and she’s curvy. The Griots SC had no problem conforming to the car. I don’t believe it added marring but car was swirled pretty good to start. I’d give it 5 stars. You definetly could “hear” contaminants being removed. Griots recommended their speed shine as a clay lube so went with that. It’s actually an awesome QD also.

Which ever you try make sure to break in the synthetic. Theirs a coating on their that needs to be worn off for synthetic to work the best and may also marr the paint. To break in just clay all glass on car and that should do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes mrq0604, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Griot's Synthetic Clay is great with the Speed Shine.

This is my favorite combo that I have tried.

I used to dread using a clay bar. Too tedious and took forever. I can use the Griot's SC, and go over my entire truck in less than an hour.

Just to note: Having the Nano-skin sponges on hand for tight areas is a must also. IMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Yeah, the Griot's Synthetic Clay is great with the Speed Shine.

This is my favorite combo that I have tried.

I used to dread using a clay bar. Too tedious and took forever. I can use the Griot's SC, and go over my entire truck in less than an hour.

Just to note: Having the Nano-skin sponges on hand for tight areas is a must also. IMO
    Same combo. 2 little nano’s one medium, one fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast