autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

ONR in QD dilution hard to wipe

So my car has two coats of Collinite 915 on it. I washed it yesterday using Megs hyper wash and the 2 bucket method and then used the blaster to dry it off. I went around the whole car and wiped it with ONR at quick detailer dilution (8oz to a gallon) and it was incredibly hard to wipe off, it was like the microfiber wanted to stick to the car almost. I was using TRC creature edgeless 420 microfibers, the short and long nap sides did the same thing.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR in QD dilution hard to wipe

I’ve always found ONR to not leave the slickest feeling surface, whether it’s at the rinseless or QD dilution. I generally don’t find ONR to feel slick or slimy in general, which has always felt weird to me. It just feels like water, maybe slightly slicker.

I enjoy using ONR a lot more when I’m wiping it with a waffle weave towel. So that could be a potential solution, if you don’t mind having a handful of extra waffle weave towels to use when you’re going around your car with it.

Couple 16x24s should be able to knockout just about any size vehicle. Could probably get away with just one on a normal sized car. I’d recommend just planning to use two, as there’s nothing worse than getting 2/3 the way done and realizing you should’ve grabbed another towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

How old is the 915? I never had this problem with ONR.

Any particular reason you're using a QD on freshly washed paint? I use spray wax instead which provides significant lubrication. Even ONR+W would probably provide more lubrication.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using the QD because I am on well water (iron filtered and softened, then carbon filtered) but I still get a few water spots here and there. I use it to give the whole car a good wipe down after air drying to make sure I get it all off. The collinite is only a couple months old.

Post Thanks / Like

The car was waxed a while ago, and has been washed several times since then. The collinite is still beading very strong on the horizontal surfaces, doors not so much.

Also, I tried KAIO on the windshield per recommendations here, and I was not at all impressed. Is there a trick?

Post Thanks / Like

So I think the issue is the water spotting. Its all over the place, and I believe that's whats causing the microfiber cloth to drag.

What is the best way to wipe down after washing to remove all the spots? Windows, paint, trim, etc. Something that wont kill my LSP? Would vinegar be a good choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it's the humidity levels for me.

I did a wipe down / spray wax with ONR standard dilution in a trigger bottle, + Optimum Car Wax..

Both were incredibly difficult to wipe off. Sometimes the ONRwipes effortlessly.

It had rained earlier that day, and the truck was wet when she parked it in the garage.

I tried Opti-Seal, Megs Ultimate Quik Wax, and Rupes 808. They were all pretty fussy. I also noticed that my towels linted all over the panels too.

I'm beginning to hate towel lint more than compound dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milesvdustin View Post
    I am using the QD because I am on well water (iron filtered and softened, then carbon filtered) but I still get a few water spots here and there. I use it to give the whole car a good wipe down after air drying to make sure I get it all off. The collinite is only a couple months old.
    You are air drying the car ? Is that where the water spots are from. I’m imagining it is.

You gotta have true 0 TDS water to allow air drying IMO even then you have to make sure you got all existing water off with pure clean water.

Probably going to have to go at it with a water spot remover or maybe a hand polish like all in one wax of some sort to get water spots off. Depends how bad they are mike Phillips has an article about water spots you can search for and learn tons from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milesvdustin View Post
    So I think the issue is the water spotting. Its all over the place, and I believe that's whats causing the microfiber cloth to drag.

What is the best way to wipe down after washing to remove all the spots? Windows, paint, trim, etc. Something that wont kill my LSP? Would vinegar be a good choice?
    I have tested a lot with blowdry the car after a wash. IME if the LSP is not sheeting the water great or is on it's last legg. I do get water waterspots. My suggestion would be to skip the blowdrying for some washes and only towel dry. And also during and until you are able to dry it you keep it wet with misting with water from the hose or PW. Try to dry it as fast as you can but still safe. The horisontall panels often dries quicker than the vertical panels if you don't have a direct sunlight on the car. So I use the matador drying technique LOL hold the mf drying towel at the longsides corner and lay it out on the paint as long as you reach and draw it against you. If you have a double sided drying towel I alternate the side for every draw. The PFM style drying towels is awesome when you dry like this as it's soaks crazy fast and holds a lot of water.

If you want to test out a QD/spray wax that I think would be great to desolve the water spots you could get. Is Duragloss Aquawax or the Duragloss Rinseless Wash concentrate with the Aquawax in it 931. Most waterless wash or rinseless wash is slightly acidic. This is the nature of not being needed to rinse with the chemicals they use then. Duragloss Aquawax wax is down to the ph 4 level. The big benefit with an acidic based spray wax/QD is it's great to desolve the mineral deposits and lime scale you can get. At least when they are fresh. Maybe others can chaim in on how Aquawax or 931 is on desolve the water spots after a wash. What I could find about the ONR is it's between ph 4-7. The Duragloss 931 could be interesting to test out and it's very economical if it works. Otherwise I would test with a waterless wash or rinseless wash that leaves nothing behind like McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash and GG Brilliant Rinseless Wash.

Post Thanks / Like

By air dry I mean with the metro blaster air blower. I'll try a drying towel, need to order some

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast