autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Deep talk about wheel cleaners - alkaline, acid, pH levels

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    That applies to brand new we wheels... Maybe. But in real life there are scratches and/or curb rash which means bare aluminum. Even on brand new wheels there is bare aluminum somewhere. I've seen bubbling around valve stems on cars where owners regularly used agressive products on wheels.

IMO wheel cleaners are one time use on neglected wheels. They are not for regular use to save you from bending over and using some elbow grease.
    The kind of bubbling you’re talking about isn’t caused by aggressive wheel cleaners, it’s caused by long term neglect aka baked on brake dust which can eat through the finish similar to how bird crap can eat through your clear coat if left to bake for long enough.

...But if and when there’s any damage to the wheels finish, it isn’t caused by the wheel cleaner, not even Wheel Brightener @4:1 will do any harm and the following pics of my own wheels can prove it.

Here’s the chrome wheels on my Cadillac several months ago, when I 1st bought it. The whole car was severely neglected for what must’ve been years. Just look at that baked on brake dust. Keep in mind these chrome wheels are 17yrs. old.

Odds are there’s bound to be some pitting or bubbling 1 way or another right?

If there’s no pitting or bubbling from the years of that baked on brake dust, then the Wheel Brightener is about to cause it because if it’s not caused by the brake dust it’s about to be caused by the wheel cleaner right? After all, it’s Acid! Oh no my wheels!Deep talk about wheel cleaners - alkaline, acid, pH levels

...Actually, no. Of course the wheel cleaner didn’t cause any damage. It actually restored them to like new. Yes, even though it’s “acid” based.

I use Wheel Brightener once per week to clean my wheels. And if it wasn’t Wheel Brightener it was it’s OTC equivalent Megs Hot Wheels Chrome Wheel Cleaner or Eagle 1 Chrome & Wire Cleaner for the past 20+yrs. on all of my Cadillacs on a weekly basis because they’ve all had chrome wheels and the acid based wheel cleaner Never caused any damage.

This is my weekly routine.
    WB for wheels
    Megs D114 for the tires
    Megs APC for the wheel wells

Clean.

And as far as road rash & scratches that may be on wheels exposing the so called delicate ‘bare aluminum’...

Nothing happens.

I’ve cleaned countless customers wheels with so called aggressive wheel cleaners and have never had a single issue and a whole lot of those wheels have road rash on them and if they don’t they’ll have it soon because normL people eventually scratch their wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deep talk about wheel cleaners - alkaline, acid, pH levels

How else do you explain that white worming affect? It always seems to start where the wheel has been chipped from road rash or from the impact socket at the wheel lug holes. It always looks like a strong cleaner has worked its way underneath the clear and or powder coat.

3. Likes yakky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    How else do you explain that white worming affect? It always seems to start where the wheel has been chipped from road rash or from the impact socket at the wheel lug holes. It always looks like a strong cleaner has worked its way underneath the clear and or powder coat.
    I’ve never heard of that term. These wheels had lots of the clearcoat peeling off of them + road rash. Is the worming effect that you’re referring to seen here?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not see any of your photos in either post unfortunately

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about. It stems from exposed aluminum either at the backside where it sits on the hub or around chips/rashes as you mentioned.

I suspect it's from corrosion of the aluminum spreading and lifting the clearcoat. I'm sure aggressive cleaners and road containments (e.g. sodium chloride for snow/ice) contributes to it. Though as one of my concerns from my original post, I do wonder if certain pH level of wheel cleaners will accelerate that corrosion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about. It stems from exposed aluminum either at the backside where it sits on the hub or around chips/rashes as you mentioned.

I suspect it's from corrosion of the aluminum spreading and lifting the clearcoat. I'm sure aggressive cleaners and road containments (e.g. sodium chloride for snow/ice) contributes to it. Though as one of my concerns from my original post, I do wonder if certain pH level of wheel cleaners will accelerate that corrosion.
    Coming from a small understanding of aviation grade aluminum, that same effect happens to all aluminum over time, you just have the luxury I suppose of seeing it develop compared to on my plane where it can be hidden under the paint. A chemical too acidic or too basic will cause damage.

Mind you, different aluminum alloys have different tolerance levels of what they can take to some degree. Here's a guide from an FAA circular. I selected this portion dealing with the chemical effects of corrosion but if you Google FAA Advisory Circular 43-4B, that is the latest guidance for aluminum corrosion and control and can shed some light on what causes corrosion in aluminum and why some wheels will be more or less resistant than others.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

8. Likes BillE, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons View Post

Well stated...I TOTALLY agree.

It seems that it only takes one tiny 'thin spot' is to get things started. At least that's been my experience.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

10. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’ve never heard of that term. These wheels had lots of the clearcoat peeling off of them + road rash. Is the worming effect that you’re referring to seen here?

Don't you live is southern California? Aside from UV, it's the most friendly environment for cars.

The chemistry is there. Reactive aluminum plus strong acids/bases. I just can't see how you think it doesn't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    Don't you live is southern California? Aside from UV, it's the most friendly environment for cars.

The chemistry is there. Reactive aluminum plus strong acids/bases. I just can't see how you think it doesn't happen.
    Eldorado is a pretty respected guy and he's give me some solid advice here (thanks make keep it up!) But like that advisory circular states (please take a look if you want to nerd out and get a deeper understanding) different alloys of aluminum react to different PH levels and, I forgot to mention, different types of acids. Also it depends on if there's a coating or not, anodization, alan clad, etc. It's way more than I can understand but when I go to the base in two weeks, maybe I can swing by the airframe shop and talk to a few of the metal heads about this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

13. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t even think wheel bright is that strong in 4:1. It’s cleans my silver oem wheels pretty well but not my black oem or aftermarket that well unless you like to agitate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast