autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: OT: What paint colors are the easiest and hardest to maintain? What about look the best?

My previous car was a white gold Ford Escape. That color was so easy to maintain. I'm very picky about my cars and a dirty car drives me crazy. The white gold looked clean even when I knew it wasn't. Swirls aren't easily visible either. If you want a low maintenance color white gold is a good choice. White and silver are also good for low maintenance too.
    2019 Subaru Forester Limited
    2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited

2. Likes minerigger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: OT: What paint colors are the easiest and hardest to maintain? What about look the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    My Light Bronzemist Cadillac always looks good, even when it’s not perfectly clean. I haven’t gotten bored with its paint color yet. I kinda like it.

I try to stay on top of the wheels & tires. Good thing the tires are coated and the brakes don’t kick up much dust so maintenance as a whole is a piece of cake. The biggest chore is the windows.
    That looks really, really good...what LSP (wax/sealant/coating) do you have on it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

I vote silver metallic.

In order to see swirls in sunlight you need sunlight. Duh.

When the sun is shining on silver metallic paint the metallic flakes act like tiny mirrors and reflect the sunlight back at your eyes.

This causes pain to your eyes and you instinctively and via reflex - turn your head away to stop the light from beaming into your eyeballs.

Thus - you can't see swirls in silver metallic paint in bright sunlight because you can't look at silver metallic paint in bright sunlight as it hurts your eyes.

See how that works?

The metallic flake also creates an non-uniform appearance and thus camouflages dirt build-up. I think it's easier to see dirt build-up on white paint than it is on silver or beige colored paints.

Silver and beige in my opinion are also two of the most boring colors for any vehicle. I also notice experience detailers tend to own, white, silver or beige colored cars.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always recommend silver metallic or one of the metallic whites when a customers asks me that question.

Post Thanks / Like

My lighter gray metallic is pretty forgiving.
    And it’s not silver. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes Dan2675 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By far black is the worst, everything shows on black so you have to either not care or be a bit of a masochist to own a black car

Contrary to other's comments about white being easy to maintain, I will have to disagree. While it's far easier than black, dirt will show like a sore thumb on white paint. Also, rusting iron particles show really easilly on white.

Silver is by far the easiest. Dirt and dust don't show much on that color. You can have a moderatelly dirty car and from 20 feet away it will almost look clean. As Mike mentionned that color hides swirl marks very easilly too.

After that, most metalic and pearl paint will probably be able to hide defects a little bit, with light colors being able to hide some of the dust and dark colors being able to hide some of the dirt.

Solid very light and solid very dark colors being the hardest to maintain IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Fan View Post
    That looks really, really good...what LSP (wax/sealant/coating) do you have on it?

I polished my car with HD Speed 5 weeks ago, and since then all that’s been applied is Beadmaker, usually as a drying aid after waterless washing with WG Uber.

I did a quik waterless this morning and it’s still passing the baggie test. So far so good.

11. Likes Sports Fan, MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I polished my car with HD Speed 5 weeks ago, and since then all that’s been applied is Beadmaker, usually as a drying aid after waterless washing with WG Uber.

I did a quik waterless this morning and it’s still passing the baggie test. So far so good.
    That's good to hear....I have some Poxy that I'm thinking about trying here in the next few weeks and the look of your ride is making me a little anxious to give her a shot now.

Post Thanks / Like

Light metallics are the easiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12