autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car - Polish Before Coating w/ Cosmic V2?

Hello. In Feb. my wife and I picked up a new X5 from the factory in Spartanburg with its paint fresh as can be. While waiting for the weather to be nice enough to apply a coating I've washed it about 5 times. I'm leaning toward Polish Angel Cosmic V2. My question is is there any benefit for me to use the pre-treating polish (in this case Invisible Primer) that most coatings recommend? It seems that's meant for cars that have "been around" a bit longer and I've always been a believer in don't polish unless you absolutely have to; so I'm inclined to wash, clay, IPA wipe, and go right to the coating. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Mike Phillips

Re: New Car - Polish Before Coating w/ Cosmic V2?

My personal rule of thumb is I will not install any brand of coating without at a minimum doing at least one machine polishing step to remove EVERYTHING that could be on the paint plus simply to perfect the paint and guarantee best maximum performance out of the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

New Car - Absolutely needs to be polished. You'll see a noticeable difference if done right.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in agreement with Mike and TTQ. I also have applied Cosmic to a few vehicles and Invincible Primer is a very easy to use product and provides a great foundation for Cosmic.

Post Thanks / Like

And to ad is that the Invicible Primer is needed to be used before Cosmic v2 coating for being able to bond a hard as possible. The benefit is that the abrasives in Invicible Primer is awesome to work with. And is like a very high quality finishing polish. So if you are lucky Invicible Primer is the only polish that is needed. You can use Cosmic v2 coating on it's own but don't expect the longer longevity from it and the little that the hardness does. It's as much as 6-9 months of longer longevity when useing Invicible Primer. So Invicible Primer and Cosmic v2 coating is to be used as a combo and synergy. And even if the amount of product is little you use very little of product on the pad. Many also apply the first layer of Cosmic v2 coating with the polisher and a finishing/wax pad. And the second layer with the cosmic application pad by hand. For the looks it gives you it's top notch.