autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking DIY making your own products

Hello fellow detailers

has anyone tried making there own degreaser using alkaline salts like in Australia there is a product called tricleanium has anytried mixing that product with hot water to dissolve the salts and try it as a degreaser ?

Also as a fabric cleaner and a multi purpose cleaner has anyone tried using dish soap and laundry powder in hot water and heavily diluted in hot water to dissolve the granular stuff in the powder? For Americans I think it’s called tide

if I was to try this I would use an old 20lt drum put 10 litres of boiling water in to the drum with a tap attached then add a hose and fuel filter (cheap 4$ paper one ) to catch the granules and so it don’t clog your triggers up

Any ways cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY making your own products

Not to kill your hopes and dreams but It comes down the trusting the chemists that make the products of the company you believe in

These are full time chemical companies making specific products that should be safe used as directed for what they are intended for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes Bshann21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DIY making your own products

Sure your ideas will work but perhaps only for certain cleaning applications and due to the lack of particular surfactants and high alkalinity, may cause significant damage to materials/substrates.

A good place to start is the Tricleanium MSDS mate: http://www.tricleanium.com.au/docs/tricleanium_msds.pdf

Note that trisodium phosphate has a pH of 12 making it highly alkaline. Watch out when using it on fabrics as it can cause yellowing which needs to be neutralised if you plan on ridding it.

Post Thanks / Like

Using tiny amount Woollite laundry detergent and water was popular interior cleaner about 10 years ago.

6. Likes Bshann21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bshann21 View Post
    has anyone tried making there own
    degreaser using alkaline salts

like in Australia there is a product called tricleanium
    has any tried mixing that product with hot water to
    dissolve the salts and try it as a degreaser ?

Also
    as a fabric cleaner and a multi purpose cleaner
    has anyone tried using dish soap and laundry
    powder in hot water and heavily diluted in hot
    water to dissolve the granular stuff in the powder?
    IMO:
    If a person has the wherewithal to “desolve
    the salt”, as it were, from Tricleanium...
    then they would surely already know if
    trisodium phosphate (TSP)-based products
    have “degreasing”-ability, or not.

Note:
    I only use dish soap; and granular (or liquid)
    laundry detergent for their intended purposes.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Sure your ideas will work but perhaps only for certain cleaning applications and due to the lack of particular surfactants and high alkalinity, may cause significant damage to materials/substrates.

A good place to start is the Tricleanium MSDS mate: http://www.tricleanium.com.au/docs/tricleanium_msds.pdf

Note that trisodium phosphate has a pH of 12 making it highly alkaline. Watch out when using it on fabrics as it can cause yellowing which needs to be neutralised if you plan on ridding it.

It has alkaline salts in it

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't that be easy to do by using pool ph strips I've found that all purpose cleaners would be a ph of 7.5 to 8.5 to give it some extra oomph in cleaning i have also herd of people using "tide" diluted as there all purpose interior and fabric cleaner

with the engine degreaser the ph would be higher and if I ever made a degreaser I would add soap to it so the degreaser would stick to the engine longer for dwelling time instead of most sprays you spray it on a engine or tyre and it runs straight off
    Trying to think of ways to spend less and make business more profitable

Feel free to share you dollar saving ideas

That's just my thoughts

Cheers everyone

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

if you mix chemicals your not guaranteed that it won't have any adverse effects sooner or later unless you know exactly what you are doing. if you aren't a chemist or have any knowledge in that regard, i would leave it up to the experts (or consult one) who knows for sure. obviously, some do it and don't have any problems but you can't blame anyone if there is...

11. Likes Bshann21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bshann21 View Post
    Wouldn't that be easy to do by using pool ph strips I've found that all purpose cleaners would be a ph of 7.5 to 8.5 to give it some extra oomph in cleaning i have also herd of people using "tide" diluted as there all purpose interior and fabric cleaner

with the engine degreaser the ph would be higher and if I ever made a degreaser I would add soap to it so the degreaser would stick to the engine longer for dwelling time instead of most sprays you spray it on a engine or tyre and it runs straight off
    Trying to think of ways to spend less and make business more profitable

Feel free to share you dollar saving ideas

That's just my thoughts

Cheers everyone

Sure you can but you’re missing the point. pH isn’t an indication of cleaning power, it’s the surfactants that make the product do what it does in the right way. It is the “technology” behind the cleaning power.

Many good companies make APC, some are alright and others are amazing. Fundamentally they are the same, the difference is their combination and quality of surfactants to deal with specific or a range of substrates.

There are also different types of acids and alkali to add more complexity to the equation.

13. Thanks Bshann21 thanked for this post
    Likes Bshann21 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure you can but you’re missing the point. pH isn’t an indication of cleaning power, it’s the surfactants that make the product do what it does in the right way. It is the “technology” behind the cleaning power.

Many good companies make APC, some are alright and others are amazing. Fundamentally they are the same, the difference is their combination and quality of surfactants to deal with specific or a range of substrates.

There are also different types of acids and alkali to add more complexity to the equation.
    Thanks mate I understand what your meaning

Cheers for the reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast