autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

9 month old corvette

Going to work on a NEW (9 months old) gray corvette next week. Was planning on using either BF One Step or HD Speed, topped with BF SiO2 or Opti-Seal. Am I on the right track, or missing the boat entirely? Suggestions welcome.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 9 month old corvette

Don’t know about those specific products but look it over carefully. I’ve found all the new ones I’ve done have sanding marks from the factory, and depending on the dealership it came from, the damage caused by an attempted repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_M View Post
    Going to work on a NEW (9 months old)
    gray corvette next week. Was planning
    on using either BF One Step or HD Speed,
    topped with BF SiO2 or Opti-Seal.

Am I on the right track, or missing the
    boat entirely? Suggestions welcome.
    IMO:
    Performing “Test Spot(s)”, with either one
    (or both) of the correction products you
    listed, will go a long way in determining if
    you’re on the right track, or not.

Afterwards:
    The BF SiO2 or Opti-Seal will be
    the icing on the cake.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Going to work on a NEW (9 months old) gray corvette next week. Was planning on using either BF One Step or HD Speed, topped with BF SiO2 or Opti-Seal. Am I on the right track, or missing the boat entirely? Suggestions welcome.

Phil

I think this is an awesome way to take care of any car.

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

I just did this Corvette with Pinnacle Jeweling Wax and people ket asking me,

What ceramic paint coating did you use?

Review: RUPES Mark III BigFoot 21 Polisher by Mike Phillips

And down the road if there were any marring, bird droppings, accidental swirls from washing or wiping I could quick and easy fix by just doing the same thing - using a one-step cleaner/wax.

With a coating it gets a lot more complicated and the average person cannot do it correctly.

Just about anyone with any orbital can use a product like Pinnacle Jeweling Wax, BF One Step or 3D Speed without any skill or talent and get this same result.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I think this is an awesome way to take care of any car.

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

I just did this Corvette with Pinnacle Jeweling Wax and people ket asking me,

What ceramic paint coating did you use?

Review: RUPES Mark III BigFoot 21 Polisher by Mike Phillips

And down the road if there were any marring, bird droppings, accidental swirls from washing or wiping I could quick and easy fix by just doing the same thing - using a one-step cleaner/wax.

With a coating it gets a lot more complicated and the average person cannot do it correctly.

Just about anyone with any orbital can use a product like Pinnacle Jeweling Wax, BF One Step or 3D Speed without any skill or talent and get this same result.

Exactly.

I am glad to hear this from you, Mike.

I hope all newbies will take this to heart. Coatings are great for those who are fans of them, but if you're just starting out with paint correction.... Check out this 'Vette.

My point is, all of the info here will naturally gravitate the new guys toward coatings as the newest/greatest thing (which they are to a point).

But, a good old sealant and/or wax can provide incredible results as well.

Just my opinion..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

Going to work on a NEW (9 months old) gray corvette next week. Was planning on using either BF One Step or HD Speed, topped with BF SiO2 or Opti-Seal.

Am I on the right track, or missing the boat entirely?

Suggestions welcome.

Phil

Hey Phil,

Have you made a decision on which way to go?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed.
    I took your advice and ordered the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax. Should arrive by Thurs.
    Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again

Mike Phillips

Yes indeed.

I took your advice and ordered the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax. Should arrive by Thurs.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again

Cool. I'm excited to hear back your results.

What type of polisher and pads do you have?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a PC 7424XP and planning on using LC CCS Green Pads

Sound ok. - Looked a car yesterday and could not see any defects - of course it needs a good wash.

I'm just a small guy that does vechicles in spare time - mostly neighborhood clients. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Mike Phillips

I have a PC 7424XP and planning on using LC CCS Green Pads

Sound ok. - Looked a car yesterday and could not see any defects - of course it needs a good wash.

I'm just a small guy that does vechicles in spare time - mostly neighborhood clients. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Thank you for the above info. I wanted to add some more info that I think would help you but didn't want to waste your time. I believe you will find the information in the below articles helpful or at least a resources if you should run into any problems.

How to correctly use an AIO or Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

The Definition of a Section Pass by Mike Phillips

Tons of info here and a great video that is clear and precise on how to use the Porter Cable.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

And last but not least

Lots of pads
    You also need lots of pads. Just like using a compound to correct a car's paint, when using a one-step cleaner/wax you need a lot of buffing pads. When using a product heavy or wet the pads are going to become wet or soggy fairly quickly. When a foam pads become wet it becomes USELESS. This means you're wasting time and in most cases destroying the pad as a wet pad hold in heat more than a dry pad. It will also take you longer to buff out a car because the pad is no longer doing correction work. And to top it off, your results won't look as good than had you switched to a clean dry pad often.

I recently used a jeweling wax, (like a cleaner/wax only finished out better and more consistently on a wide spectrum of paint types), and look how many pads I used to do the job a fast as humanly possible while working safely and maintaining pro results.

As you work around a car your pad gets soggy and wet from repeated applications of the products you're using. Wet pads don't work well. Cutting pads quit cutting. Polishing pads quit cleaning.

12. Likes custmsprty liked this post