autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remove/strip Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax

I’m brand new to the forums and to detailing aka “the never ending black hole of cleaning/decontamination/coatings/wax/etc options!”

I recently (3 weeks ago) bought a Black Pearl ‘15 Acura TLX. Apparently the dealer applied HCW just before I bought it and did a crappy job and didn’t bother to properly clean the paint since most of the panels feel very rough and there are small swirl marks that I’d like to get rid of.

My “plan” is to wash the car, strip the wax and HCW, clay the car with the recently purchased Blackfire Mitt (first time user), rewash, wax, and top it off with PS Beadmaker.

After searching through the forum and others forums, I cannot find anything discussing how to remove the HCW. I haven’t tried anything yet so not to waste my time or damage the paint. Does anyone have any ideas or am I blowing this out of proportion ?

I do not own a DA...yet and I don’t think I’m at that level. I’ve only hand waxed my previous cars with decent success since they were white cars but I’m finding out black cars are presenting a lot of new challenges!!

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove/strip Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax

I watched a video where someone used a store bought iron decontaminater and it greatly affected it. Then used optimum opc and it was pretty much done. So I think any stout apc will take it off. Maybe try dawn and apc wash solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing is your best bet, but if that’s purposely not in your routine, there are wax strippers that may work in 3-week old HCW such as Poorboys Wax Stripper Spray. Strong degreasers should do it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for he input, I was also planning on using iron-x as well. If I can polish by hand then I’m very open to that, just a little intimidated by the DA at this point but I can see it in my future!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Thank you for he input, I was also planning on using iron-x as well. If I can polish by hand then I’m very open to that, just a little intimidated by the DA at this point but I can see it in my future!

Get a da. You can’t mess up on the paint

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second the opinions above that an iron decon and clay following your Dawn dish detergent will leave you squeaky clean. I don't think HCW is a major factor to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a DA. Trust me, I was like you very intimidated but I just decided to take the plunge and purchased one earlier this year and I am so happy I did. It made detailing the exterior of my vehicles so much easier. All I did was watch some of the How To videos on here and on YouTube.

Trust me when I say that I have no background on car detailing. The last time I actually polished and waxed a car by hand was in the early to mid 2000s.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, y’all are great!! What color foam pad is good for beginners? Paint is in good shape, just some swirls at this point...oh and it’s a black car!

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on paint hardness, orange or white (if going Lake Country)... a light cutting and a polishing pad (get 6 each though) will bring you to the promised land as a beginner. If your paint is really hard we can discuss yellows or microfiber, but probably not necessary for starting.

Make and model car?

Post Thanks / Like

Man, y’all are great!! What color foam pad is good for beginners? Paint is in good shape, just some swirls at this point...oh and it’s a black car!

saw a post by mike Phillips recently where he said pads don’t matter much. It’s the compound you use that does. Why not get a griot 6” with a 5” backing plate and some Meguiar’s polishing pads and finishing pads. Almost impossible to mess it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast