autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Wash Mitt for Soft Finish?

Ive heard several recommended and I have tried a few. So far I notice my Megs Micro has been very gentle and cleans better. It is not a deep pile wormy chenille mitt but it seems to do good. I have the Gold Plush and I am not impressed at all and recommended by an AG person. Dont think they clean as well and not sure if they left swirls or not. Wool...have one but havent used it on the new ride. I am a 2 bucketer with grit guards. Process is simple but could be flaws...let me know if it is. I high pressure first to knock off the loose crap then foam cannon and two bucket with soap in one and rinse water in the other. I grab a mitt out of the wash, clean a section drop it in the rinse and agitate while rotating the second mitt and repeat. Pretty fast and the mitts seems clean as they get pulled out of raise and back in to get soap. Soap might help if I had something that lift the dirt off. Im using megs wash and wax carnuba as well as gold class. Shampoo is a grey area for me. All my other mitts worked on my domestics vehicle for they had harder surfaces but the Tesla...yeah its a nightmare...breath on it and it swirls. So what is the softest mitt on surfaces? Or the best process for soft surfaces. More over best combo of mitt and shampoo to lift off or release the garbage from the surface? And then there is the towel to dry? I have the Griots PFM which I like I have a guzzler as well and like it too! I had an absorber which on other vehicle worked well but I am worried it can scratch and remove wax...who knows? The absorber has gotten nowhere near the tesla!! Either way gotta find out the combo so I can get best results. The finish still needs help. I have done some stuff but if I am screwing up on the wash side I am not helping my situation going forward. Gotta start with the mitt first!
    ----------------------
    2018 Jeep GC High Altitude
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Sport Package

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Wash Mitt for Soft Finish?

I don't know if it's the softest mitt possible, but I currently have The Rag Company's Cyclone wash mitt. According to The Rag Company, it is supposed to work well on soft paint surfaces, and I have a Honda and it's worked well for me so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I think that wool wash mitt would be the most gentle one and gets least of the chance to wash marring. Carpro Merino Wool wash mitt is a great option. It's a little different to an useally mf wash media as you to maintain the wool mitt more. After the wash is done you can use the soap bucket to clean the wool mitt in and the hose to rinse it thoroughly with. Wring out the water and hang it to air dry. Know it is when it gets strange LOL. But get a good comb to comb it when it's dried. Otherwise you can get the wool to be tangled.

Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt

It's not the best cleaning ability from a wool mitt but on a well maintained vehical they work very well on. My suggestion would be to do a prewash foam before the the first cleaning with the PW. I say cleaning with the PW as many just use it as a hose. Use the benefit from the PW to clean with the water pressure from the nozzle tip. Hit it like you would wash a vehical with a wash mitt. Getting a good prewash foam and not an ordinary car soap will aid in the cleaning ability IMO and IME too. This is a debate where you will have 2 sides of if it's doing anything or not. I know what the testing has done for me on a winter dirty car. The rinse bucket is very clean after a wash for me and that's to me is important to reduce the chance to wash marring and scratches from washing. I apply the prewash foam from the foamcannon and let it dwell. When I start to clean with the water pressure from the PW. I start from the bottom and work my way up and around the car. It's easier to see where you have cleaned this way. But also it's easier for the rinse water to run off a clean surface as it's not attach it self as easy.

I'm a big fan of Carpro Reset car soap and at 1:500 you get it not so extremly expensive as it can seem. I also use other car soaps for switching it up a little. But use the car soap at the recommended dilution as if too strong dilution as the glugg glugg measure often gives. Can be working backwards as it's harsher on your LSP and can get more trouble to rinse it off clean. Take a look at the thread that's going on with the favorite car soaps as most is very good. Get a little bottle at first and if you like it a lot get a gallon sized if wanted. But buying a bigger bottle and then being unsatisfied is no fun at all for me. If useing the 2bm wash I would get an extra mitt for the lower third or quarter panels and dedicate it for that. And on this you work your way from top to bottom and also rinse that way. But do the wheels and wheel wells first before the touching wash and use wash media and wash solution only for that as a 3bm.

And don't forget the drying part which is where technique and the products you use can be where you get the most swirls from. I think that a Master Blaster the biggest one to dry the car with would be the most gentle option you have. PFM drying towels to use the drag once and it's dry is awesome. For padding drying technique I like a very plush and absorbant mf drying towels. And since you have a very scratch sensitive paint a drying aid is an option to use. I don't like to use a drying that leaves a stout protection behind. Why is that it has messed with the drying towels ability to effective soak up water in the longrun. And if useing useing a drying aid I would look at a waterless wash or rinseless wash concentrate that leaves nothing behind or just don't mess with the drying towels and the LSP. It's a benefit to use a drying aid if you have problems with hard water and water spots. As these is effective to desolve these. For the refreshing of the LSP I useally do this after drying and with high quality mf towels.

This is just how I see on these things. But read through all tips and opinions from everyone and evaluate what you think would work for you. And when possible try out something that you may see as little strange and see how it works for you and your situation. I do test out different methods and also goes back to those that have been working before.

It's a pain with keeping a swirl free finish for a long time on most vehicals. And to have a scratch sensitive paint is a need to be doing it a little more extreme. But there are a lots of awesome products and methods that can help you out. Just evaluate and test your way through what works the best for you.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I like the AG micro fiber chenille mitts (wormy MF). I skip the two bucket as I feel when agitating in clean bucket you swish around debris floats to the top.

I use one wash bucket with 8-9 wash mitts. Once I use It doesn’t touch car again. Wash top down. No roof (convertible). One for hood, one for front, one for trunk, one for back, one for top half left side, one bottom, one top half right one bottom. Spend more for wash media but I feel less chance of marring. Machine wash after.

Use a high lubricity soap (I use OCW, Reset). If you wanna next level lube it spray with some waterless before putting mitt to paint. I also rotate sections on mitt that touches car each pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The two bucket method itself is flawed. Eventually the dirt from the rinse bucket makes its way back into the wash bucket after dunking your mitt so many times, and the dirt is reintroduced back onto the paint which leads to marring. It is best to use multiple wash mitts or microfiber towels from a single bucket, as mentioned above.

Mike Phillips demonstrated this method recently using microfiber towels in this article: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1626598

When drying, I find it best to get whatever I can with air (an electric leaf blower works well), then pat dry the remaining water with a high quality drying towel like the Griot's PFM you have.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use plush microfiber towels fold them and use one side per panel like rinseless wash..dirty towel never goes back into my soap bucket. requires only once bucket and i do foam the car before doing the contact wash so more soap on the car...no scratch and marring on honda paint..dry with pfm towel..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used sheepskin for twenty years. I don’t mind the maintenance.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.