autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Upselling ceramic coatings

With the upcoming summer season, I have some clients that like their vehicles detailed. Usually just interior detail with a wash, clay, and wax on the exterior.

I would like to try to upsell these clients ceramic coatings so it would be much easier to maintain these vehicles in the future. I'm mainly looking at applying CQUK 3.0.

How would I go about doing that? Tell them the features of coatings? How long they last?

Basically, I would like to know how to upsell the ceramic coatings by telling them the benefits of ceramic coatings.

Also, if anyone has a good maintenance plan for coatings could you share it please? That way I could suggest future maintenance to them as well.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Re: Upselling ceramic coatings

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post

With the upcoming summer season, I have some clients that like their vehicles detailed. Usually just interior detail with a wash, clay, and wax on the exterior.

I would like to try to upsell these clients ceramic coatings so it would be much easier to maintain these vehicles in the future. I'm mainly looking at applying CQUK 3.0.

How would I go about doing that? Tell them the features of coatings? How long they last?

Basically, I would like to know how to upsell the ceramic coatings by telling them the benefits of ceramic coatings.

I think and actually believe that upselling would be based upon two things,

1: How do they wash tier car?

2: Matching your services to them and their car.

If they run their car through any type of car wash that is NOT a touchless the results you create will not last, so find out how they wash their car.

Also, if anyone has a good maintenance plan for coatings could you share it please? That way I could suggest future maintenance to them as well.

I just wrote these two methods to maintain coated cars....

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

How to maintain a Coated Garage Queen by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

How much more do they have to add for the ceramic coating? I think I only have one service which uses wax and I'm planning to remove it. I priced them closely so it won't be a hard decision for them to go coating. Then again I'm not charging thousands yet.

I also tell them that wax just won't last and I don't want to sell a service that would potentially waste their money. If they don't want to do a ceramic coating, an alternative I share to them is a wash and wax but using hydro blue and bf sio2 combo so they still get the benefit of a "ceramic" sealant.

Good luck!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You have to find out what their goals with the vehicle in terms of appearance are. Ask opened ended questions. They are coming to you for a reason that may just be to fix something at that particular moment and then next week they are back to monthly tunnel washes but I'm sure some are using it as a starting point for day-forward improvements. All really depends on what they are looking to do.

I do 98% coatings vs sealants. I upgrade nearly all of my basic wash/wax customers to CanCoat for an additional $50. It's not only a money maker but a time saver for me and they benefit from a full 6-9 months+ of a great coating.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Thanks HardLineDetail thanked for this post
    Likes Jon TDS, Maxreed241, HardLineDetail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    How much more do they have to add for the ceramic coating? I think I only have one service which uses wax and I'm planning to remove it. I priced them closely so it won't be a hard decision for them to go coating. Then again I'm not charging thousands yet.

I also tell them that wax just won't last and I don't want to sell a service that would potentially waste their money. If they don't want to do a ceramic coating, an alternative I share to them is a wash and wax but using hydro blue and bf sio2 combo so they still get the benefit of a "ceramic" sealant.

Good luck!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    I have packages that include compounding and polishing. The only thing I would have to add to those packages would be a prep wipe and of course, the coating.

It's good to have many options. I may need to come up with another option if they choose not to go with a full coating.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    You have to find out what their goals with the vehicle in terms of appearance are. Ask opened ended questions. They are coming to you for a reason that may just be to fix something at that particular moment and then next week they are back to monthly tunnel washes but I'm sure some are using it as a starting point for day-forward improvements. All really depends on what they are looking to do.

I do 98% coatings vs sealants. I upgrade nearly all of my basic wash/wax customers to CanCoat for an additional $50. It's not only a money maker but a time saver for me and they benefit from a full 6-9 months+ of a great coating.
    I will keep that in mind. If doing a basic wash/wax, what's your procedure to apply cancoat? Do you just slap it on? Or do you polish then apply?

Also, about how many uses can you get out of one can of cancoat?

Post Thanks / Like

I will keep that in mind. If doing a basic wash/wax, what's your procedure to apply cancoat? Do you just slap it on? Or do you polish then apply?

Also, about how many uses can you get out of one can of cancoat?

I don't offer just wash/wax. All of my packages involve a polisher. I always polish before applying coatings or sealants. CanCoat will give me 5-7 vehicles per can depending on size. The entry is a Basic Clean & Protect and is as follows:

Basic Clean & Protect
    The Basic Clean and Protect Detail adds shine and seasonal protection using an industry leading hybrid sealant known for its durability and cleaning capability. This detail option is perfect for removing oxidation wax build-up and scuffs from heavily weather-worn finishes. It is not a paint correction package, but the super-micro abrasive technology polishing agents will smooth out fine blemishes and brighten the paint’s color to enhance the gloss of the final sealant.

Recommended for: This service is recommended between full correction services to maintain a layer of protection on your vehicle. It is also a terrific option for the value-conscious that want their daily drivers cleaned up, lightly polished and fully protected against the elements. It’s also a great used-car prep for those looking to put their vehicles up for sale. Makes for a great spring cleanup package too!

What’s Included: It all begins with a cleaning of the exterior including both a chemical & physical decontamination of all surfaces for a clean, smooth surface free from all surface contaminants including ferrous materials, tree sap & tar that may be embedded into the clear coat & wheels.

Next all surfaces, including glass, are sealed with their respective industry leading hybrid synthetic sealants** applied by machine and buffed clean with soft premium microfiber. This delivers the durability power of synthetic sealants and the depth and glow of a natural wax providing seasonal-long protection and a mild corrective action lessening the visibility of swirls and scratches. Lastly tires and trim are dressed and protected.

** An upgrade from the standard Hybrid Synthetic Sealant included here to Gyeon's CanCoat SiO2 Coating is a tremendous value for what it offers in terms of Gloss, & the Hydrophobic and Self-Cleaning Properties it exhibits on your vehicles finish. McKee’s 37 Glass Coating is also available as an option. See my options section for details.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Thanks Maxreed241, HardLineDetail thanked for this post
    Likes Maxreed241, HardLineDetail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I don't offer just wash/wax. All of my packages involve a polisher. I always polish before applying coatings or sealants. CanCoat will give me 5-7 vehicles per can depending on size. The entry is a Basic Clean & Protect and is as follows:

Basic Clean & Protect
    The Basic Clean and Protect Detail adds shine and seasonal protection using an industry leading hybrid sealant known for its durability and cleaning capability. This detail option is perfect for removing oxidation wax build-up and scuffs from heavily weather-worn finishes. It is not a paint correction package, but the super-micro abrasive technology polishing agents will smooth out fine blemishes and brighten the paint’s color to enhance the gloss of the final sealant.

Recommended for: This service is recommended between full correction services to maintain a layer of protection on your vehicle. It is also a terrific option for the value-conscious that want their daily drivers cleaned up, lightly polished and fully protected against the elements. It’s also a great used-car prep for those looking to put their vehicles up for sale. Makes for a great spring cleanup package too!

What’s Included: It all begins with a cleaning of the exterior including both a chemical & physical decontamination of all surfaces for a clean, smooth surface free from all surface contaminants including ferrous materials, tree sap & tar that may be embedded into the clear coat & wheels.

Next all surfaces, including glass, are sealed with their respective industry leading hybrid synthetic sealants** applied by machine and buffed clean with soft premium microfiber. This delivers the durability power of synthetic sealants and the depth and glow of a natural wax providing seasonal-long protection and a mild corrective action lessening the visibility of swirls and scratches. Lastly tires and trim are dressed and protected.

** An upgrade from the standard Hybrid Synthetic Sealant included here to Gyeon's CanCoat SiO2 Coating is a tremendous value for what it offers in terms of Gloss, & the Hydrophobic and Self-Cleaning Properties it exhibits on your vehicles finish. McKee’s 37 Glass Coating is also available as an option. See my options section for details.
    Thanks for all that info! It helps me out so much!

11. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post