autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Waxing and Polishing Towels?

There are so many towels out there it makes my head spin!! 70/30, 80/20, GSM, edgeless, etc! I have Kirklands which are 80/20 around 300+ GSM. The have a 100% poly border. I also have some SamesClub MF towel which are the same. Both are super cheap. When GSM get high towels are too plush and back for removing wax/buffing and so on. That I get...so why would someone want to spend double or even quadruple for name brand towels that offer no true improvement?
    ----------------------
    2018 Jeep GC High Altitude
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Sport Package

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxing and Polishing Towels?

the kirkland/costco are good for interior, door jambs, engine. wheels, and other areas where you may not want to use your nicer/better microfiber towels (some still use them on paint). since they are sold in bulk and are inexpensive, you can toss them once they start to get real nasty/dingy and not feel guilty. you can buy a dozen of the gold plush jr's which you can use for the more scratch sensitive (paint) areas and anything between 350-400ish gsm (thicker pile towels tend to are more prone to linting and drag/mop) would be a good all around towel (it has two sides/piles). i use to buy so many different microfiber towels over the years and it was just a waste of money (sometimes you'll have to find out for yourself). to each his or her own...

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 12 Pack

3. Likes DETAILROOKIE, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gold Plush towels are one of my favorites too. I get them from Amazon and get a discount for subscription ordering. You have to watch out though Amazon will increase the price and not inform you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some of the expensive, exotic, fluffy towels, but I prefer the standard, garden variety weave/gsm - but from a quality source. Meguiar's Supreme Shine comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I find best bang for my buck is Rag company creature edgeless. 420 gsm 70/30 blend and dual sided. It is truly an amazing towel. I pay aroun 24$ for 10. I’ve tried ALOT of expensive and cheap towels but feel best quality per dollar. Does everything. Rinseless, LSP removal, QD, even drying if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Sports Fan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Gold Plush Jr's as well. Use them on my seemingly sensitive black paint on my XC90.

Post Thanks / Like

For Paste Wax/Sealant removal, I like Griot's PFM DUAL WEAVE WAX REMOVAL TOWEL. This MF towel cut through wax residue like a hot knife through butter. Downside is that its only 2 sides of use per towel.

For Spray and Wipe kind of application, I like Griot's PFM DETAILING TOWELS. 1120 GSM is probably overkill but I like it. Size at t 16" x 9", they don't crumple as easy as the 16" x 16" but you get only 4 sides of use when fold

When car is pretty prestine already but you just wanted to do a spray and touch-up detail, I use any no name brand 16" x 16" MF towels with around 400 GSM. And I try to avoid the double sided type so you can fold and use 8 sides of same nap length.

HTH.

10. Likes Sports Fan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it would be the edgeless 365 for polishes and the edgeless 300 for waxes, sealants and coatings.

Wasn’t a fan of the creature.

12. Likes Sports Fan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll let you in on a secret (well... not really a secret). I'm going to follow the rules AS THEY'RE OUTLINED since I used to get in trouble for this crap. I will not tell you where I buy them since we can't link to other sites, but it's all over this website if you look around.

On to the secret (sort of): None of these detailing sites or companies make their own towels. They're literally rebranding them. Funny thing is, you can buy from the companies that do wholesale business with them. Then you'll start to notice these detailing companies don't even bother to use their own pictures, they pull them right off the manufacturer's site. Then you'll start getting the same towels for $1.95. Just search the internet and maybe you'll find them. I always encourage people to support AutoGeek because I love the site and I buy from them regularly. But, understandably we sometimes find products for less prices and choose to shop there. Keep in mind that AG matches prices! Anyway, I'm just trying to be helpful.

Also, not all towels are the same. Not all Polyester/Polyamide ratios of the same number are the same quality. Those costco towels are awesome at first but harden and break down pretty quickly. The towels I get last me YEARS. Costco is good for paints (not your Tesla's) that are less sensitive, but only for probably 15 or so washes - if that.

Admins, please don't punish me.....

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah there’s some GUYS who sell a towel very similar to the gold plush juniors for a lot less. Theirs are 70/30 china made, 380gsm. 16x16 gold MF with a black silk edge. Get 16 for about 18 dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast