autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie ? - Polish on original single stage paint?

Some newbie questions!

1988 Chrysler Conquest (AKA Mitsubishi) the color is Rio Red.

It is the original single stage paint - no clear. The paint is still in very good condition, still plenty of gloss etc. (car was always garaged) - it does of course have some minor surface scratching here & there.

This is the first time I am going to try to use some polish on it and was wondering if there are any rules to single stage paint of this vintage (being original paint).

1. I have Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing Polish & Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant - Is it ok to use these two items together? Will the Wolfgang product be ok on a paint like this?

2. The other question I had was in regards to the wheels - they are polished aluminum (no clear) with a painted center spokes. I usually use a Meguiar's aluminum polish on it (the unpainted sections) and thats about it. Is there any good reason to use the sealant on them as well? I have a friend who always uses wax on his wheels but to me I would think after a few miles of heat it would just burn it off, plus he has clear coated wheels I have polished aluminum. I mean do bikers put wax over their polished aluminum?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie ? - Polish on original single stage paint?

The couple of single stage paints I was shown how to work on we just used the least aggressive polish that would do the job and a wax. Rule I was taught is you can not ceramic coat them because the paint prep will dull the paint.

On the wheels that have paint, using a wax or sealant is fine. The wheel doesn't get that hot. Wax helps protect the paint and I feel makes it easier next time to get brake dust off.

Andre

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie ? - Polish on original single stage paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Kepico View Post
    Some newbie questions!

1988 Chrysler Conquest (AKA Mitsubishi) the color is Rio Red.

It is the original single stage paint - no clear. The paint is still in very good condition, still plenty of gloss etc. (car was always garaged) - it does of course have some minor surface scratching here & there.

This is the first time I am going to try to use some polish on it and was wondering if there are any rules to single stage paint of this vintage (being original paint).

1. I have Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing Polish & Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant - Is it ok to use these two items together? Will the Wolfgang product be ok on a paint like this?

2. The other question I had was in regards to the wheels - they are polished aluminum (no clear) with a painted center spokes. I usually use a Meguiar's aluminum polish on it (the unpainted sections) and thats about it. Is there any good reason to use the sealant on them as well? I have a friend who always uses wax on his wheels but to me I would think after a few miles of heat it would just burn it off, plus he has clear coated wheels I have polished aluminum. I mean do bikers put wax over their polished aluminum?

Thanks!
    I recently worked on a single stage vintage 1995 guards red porsche 911. I did a 2 stage correction and ceramic coated the vehicle. If you are using a polisher, make sure you have plenty of pads. You would need to switch them out quite often due to the residue from the paint. The owner told me originally that the car was "in very good condition and it still has plenty of gloss ". in reality, the car was swirled from bumper to bumper. A finishing polish just wasn't enough to restore it. You might be in a similar situation.

Years ago, I would use a wheel wax for the wheel. I switched to sealants a few years back and now I just coat them. Its more work up front but the ease of future cleaning and the 12+ months of durability are points that are hard to argue against. A good compromise would be a product like carpro hydro2 or hydrofoam. Spray it on and blast them with water (hydro2) or wash and coat at the same time with Hydrofoam. I find the durability of these two products last about 2 - 3 months pending on environmental conditions.

Before

Newbie ? - Polish on original single stage paint?-attach0-2-jpg

After correction

Newbie ? - Polish on original single stage paint?-attach0-3-jpg

After coating

Newbie ? - Polish on original single stage paint?-attach0-18-jpg

Newbie ? - Polish on original single stage paint?-attach0-19-jpg

4. Likes fly07sti, Paul A., Goonie75 liked this post