autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Chocolate Milk from Perforated Leather Seats

So we just bought a 2018 Audi Q5 a few months ago, which came with perforated leather seats. My son, who enjoys chocolate milk apparently, managed to spill it on himself and naturally, the car seat.

Of course, my lovely wife, being my lovely wife, neglected to tell me about this and simply wiped it with a cloth to dry it. A few weeks later, I notice this lovely brown stain there. Googled it, and the suggestion was to use dish soap with warm water. Well, that did what I thought it would do, which is pretty much nothing.

Is there anything I can use that will get this horrible stain out of my wife's new Q5?

Thanks!Cleaning Chocolate Milk from Perforated Leather Seats-leatherstain-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Chocolate Milk from Perforated Leather Seats

Oh, btw, I live in Canada if that matters (some products are harder to find up here depending on what is recommended!).

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try a diluted APC, but first test in an inconspicuous spot to make sure it doesn't damage the leather or pull up the seat color. There are multiple leather cleaners available you could try but in the case of the perforated leather seats you may need to use a steam or hot water extractor to remove the stain and get the milk out of the seat cushion. Follow up with a good quality leather conditioner.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx.. Think I have a Bissell Steam cleaner vacuum in my shed.. Not sure if it still works. If it does, do I use it on the leather first with a solution of some sort?

Post Thanks / Like

I have tackled a job like this before. I would start with steam see if that does anything. For me I ended up with steam, a needle and cleaning out the holes. Warm it and break some up with steam and carefully clean out the hole with the needle. Be careful not to push too deep, don’t know what’s there in regards to heating elements or anything.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

I would try a solution of diluted APC in the steamer. Again, test the APC solution on an area of the leather that won't show. If it's too aggressive it may pull color out of the leather or remove the top protective layer and make it look dull. Guys have used an APC solution in an extractor to remove cigarette smoke stains from headliners with great success.

Post Thanks / Like

The dish soap and warm water is actually not a bad place to start. Leather is difficult to clean because the stain maybe gone but it still will look stained since it is damp.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to address the issue, which is that it's milk and it's in the cushion. You need to rehydrate the stain/spill with a combination of water and an enzyme based cleaner to eat the proteins that will eventually cause it to smell. Once you get the spill rehydrated, to removing as much as possible with a wet vac. Do this several times until it looks like it's pulling clean water. You can then address the staining if this hasn't done it. This is how I would do it. YMMV.

9. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes Bobh59, conman1395 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Susdsmobile. From my reading here, I had thought that something formulated to address that it’s a protein based stain would be needed, but I couldn’t remember what that would be. Would hate to just let the milk ferment and get funky. I was hoping someone would chime in with the right info.

That’s what I love about this place - there’s super knowledgeable advise on every topic. Cleaning interiors is it’s own art due to the different natures of different kinds of stains.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    You need to address the issue, which is that it's milk and it's in the cushion. You need to rehydrate the stain/spill with a combination of water and an enzyme based cleaner to eat the proteins that will eventually cause it to smell. Once you get the spill rehydrated, to removing as much as possible with a wet vac. Do this several times until it looks like it's pulling clean water. You can then address the staining if this hasn't done it. This is how I would do it. YMMV.
    What enzyme cleaner do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast