autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Effective Home brew prep wipe Mckees n-914 & 99%

This has worked really well half ounce Mckee's N-914 and 16oz Distilled water and 16oz 99% iso alcohol. It is slicker that just a 50/50 mix. The addition of Mckees also provides some slickness so its not as grabby as high % alcohol prep. I saw that Mckee's can be used itself as prep as 1:8 but I like the alcohol. Its also cheap so I spray a lot on and let it sit for a minute. I saw the forensic detail channel video of his home brew with 99% and SLSM. I think they both are good I already had n914

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Effective Home brew prep wipe Mckees n-914 & 99%

I started doing this in late 2017. IPA, distilled water and a bit of N-914 for a paint prep concoction. However, just to be safe I still use Gtechniq Panel Wipe as the final wipedown prior to coating.

The above mixture is very cost effective.

3. Thanks Mgavin1985 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gtechniq’s panel wipe is in a whole different league it is definitely not IPA based. I was always skeptical about straight alcohol and water having the ability to clean the panels properly. That’s what lead to addition of Mckee trying to get closer to Gtechniq strength in cleaning. When ever I do a prep wipe I soak the car down. Before this David from pearl nano discussed using dawn as a wash after polishing to get squeaky clean but that was to much work washing drying and blowing.

5. Likes osiapstndp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    Gtechniq’s panel wipe is in a whole different league it is definitely not IPA based. I was always skeptical about straight alcohol and water having the ability to clean the panels properly. That’s what lead to addition of Mckee trying to get closer to Gtechniq strength in cleaning. When ever I do a prep wipe I soak the car down. Before this David from pearl nano discussed using dawn as a wash after polishing to get squeaky clean but that was to much work washing drying and blowing.
    That would be very counter-intuitive considering how poorly Dawn actually rinses from the paint and isn't actually strong enough to remove any of the protection that you would want a deep cleaner for. If you're aiming to just remove what is left on the paint after polishing, then IPA is an incredible solvent for oils. If you think about what you're doing before you apply a coating (polishing) then really all you have to do is remove the oils. Now, IPA is fairly grabby though. It also is incredibly static-y which makes using the towels annoying. I always prefer something like Eraser because of how easy it is to use but I used to use D114 with IPA back when it was around. The IPA really did more to help the D114 solution dry more completely than it did to remove any oils. The D114 was already good at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn actually worked very well and rinsed easy enough it left the surface clean the problem was all of the excessive water hanging out panel seems if I had a metro air drier I would still use it. The way it was explained about Dewell time made sense. The dawn wash had a chance to sit on the surface and dissolve the polishing oils and cleanse the the paints pores that polishing clogged up by pushed oils into. it’s just a PIA to have to dry a large car. I am just Sharing the discussion points he came across as very knowledgeable person.