autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats your favorite swirl remover?

Swirls suck! Go thru one ""soft cloth" care wash and your car is a mess! I have soft finish so mine is really bad and anything out of my control leave my finish in havoc! I have some WG Swirl remover 3.0 but havent used it yet. I am hoping it is easy by hand for a swirl remover because I love their WG Deep Gloss stuff because not only is it easy to work with but leave the vehicle better then I found it! In the past I have used the megs cleaner wax which wasnt too bad...but really I dont have a favorite! For me a DA isnt an option so I need to find a great swirl remover that wouldnt hammer the clear coat. I feel that some of these can cut pretty hard especially with a DA.
    ----------------------
    2018 Jeep GC High Altitude
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Sport Package

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats your favorite swirl remover?

I tend to start with Menzerna PF2500 as my universal starting point, and adjust the pad for the pad for paint hardness

Within the Rupes system, Quarz Gloss Medium Compound, and either the green or yellow pad. Quarz with the yellow pad can be a really nice "one step".

But to dobthis by hand I'd opt for a cleaner wax type product. The Meguiar's 3 in 1 wax, or D166 would probably get you where you need to be.

I like to start with Duragloss 501, which has some pretty potent cleaners, and very durable synthetic polymer protection. It's been a while since I used it by hand, but by machine I get some nice, light swirl removal.

Post Thanks / Like

On a ultra soft clearcoat you can get problems with a swirl remover if I'm correct is a medium cut polish. Even by hand it can haze some. And the newer polish often has a decent cut from them and you use a finishing pad up to a medium cut foam pad and get a great finish. So even by hand do a test spot with the least aggressive combo and work your way up.

When polishing by hand I can see a benefit with useing a non-diminishing abrasive polish like most Meguiars polishes is. As you don't need to be breaking them down as with a diminishing polish. Maybe Meguiars Polish and Compound could be a versitale hand polishing combo. I like Sonax EX 04-06 and Perfect Finish as polish and Sonax Cut & Finish as medium cut polish and Sonax Cutmax as compound. Don't know if they are user friendly as a hand polishing though. But on a DA polisher they are great and work great on soft finicky paints to hard paints. They are diminishing abrasives in them so need to be working them good. The benefit with most diminishing abrasives now days is they work quite fast. So they could work good with hand polishing too.

Is it a budget thing or are you afraid of useing a polisher or something else?

There is coming great options on cordless polishers now. Flex is leading in this category so far I think with free spinning DA polisher and soon the vrg3401 aka the CBeast is coming too.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I think you are in the suburbs. Find a good touchless wash with no brushes or clothes. And buy a rinseless/waterless wash kit and do that.

I had a brand new white car and owned it for 4 years. Always hand washed by me. The day I went to trade it in because my new car had arrived, I decided to run it through a soft cloth automatic wash because it was dirty. I inspected the paint and that one wash had horribly swirled and marred the swirl free finish I maintained meticulously for 4 years. Case in point, that 5 min wash destroyed the paint to my eyes. To the dealership, they didnt even notice as the car was perfect inside and out.

I live in an apartment and do rinseless/waterless washes. I'll use 20 to 25 microfiber cloths to wash my car. I'd rather wash microfiber than polish paint lol.

There was just a post about polishes for Tesla since it appears to be soft. A polisher will save you ALOT of time. Having polished by hand before, I would never again. Machine all the way!

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the PBMG swirl removers. I also like Mckees. I haven’t had a reason to switch as I have plenty of these, but whenever that time comes I would probably switch back to HD/3D.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than Megs 3 and 1 are there any other removers that can be done by hand without hating yourself in the morning?
    ----------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapboxpreacher View Post
    Other than Megs 3 and 1 are there any other removers that can be done by hand without hating yourself in the morning?
    I truly don't think there's a single swirl remover that can be used by hand without hating yourself within 2 hours. The work I can do in two hours by hand is about most of a hood (and I'm not doing it well at that pace either). I could honestly nearly polish a whole car if I had my DA. I've definitely done swirl removal with an AIO with in 2.5 hours. Also the whole idea that a DA will cut more than by hand is actually incorrect. When I have super deep scratches, I usually tackle them with a small cutting pad, an aggressive compound (105 usually for hand-work) and use the force of my hand. It's hard to apply even pressure, even through five fingers. If you're talking about your white Tesla, then yeah that paint will be a pain because that stuff is very, very, very hard to finish out. You actually won't come close to the "gentleness" of a jeweling polish and a DA using your hand. I honestly don't know how long it'd take me to do a whole car by hand, but I'd guess probably 100 hours or so. So no, you'll hate yourself for multiple mornings.

Your easiest solution if you're hesitant to use a DA is find an easy glaze to use by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapboxpreacher View Post
    Buy a polisher and thank us later. Basic swirls will be tackled effectively with just about any decent polish. What are your plans for the final protection product, wax, sealant, coating? I do coatings so CarPro Essence and Cquartz are solid go-to products. Meg's Ultimate polish is a great OTC product to knock out swirls too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others who say in order to really remove the swirls and get a good, even result you'll need a DA. It will also dramatically reduce the lenght of time to do the work.

The type of product for me all depends on the vehicle's paint. On my Japanese cars, a finishing polish on a medium cut polishing pad works great for removing swirls. On hard German paint I again go with a medium polishing pad, but will step down to a compound, though I have used the WG Swirl Remover with success as well. It just took a bit more work.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Buy a polisher and thank us later. Basic swirls will be tackled effectively with just about any decent polish. What are your plans for the final protection product, wax, sealant, coating? I do coatings so CarPro Essence and Cquartz are solid go-to products. Meg's Ultimate polish is a great OTC product to knock out swirls too.
    Was afraid of that. I do worry on using one that is my issue.
    ----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast