autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating, are they worth it.

I have never tried a ceramic coating. I am seeing more and more posts about them and more and more options. Do they really work? Are the better on some colors than others? Which brand/product have you been the most pleased with. We have several vehicles that sit out 24/7. They are washed weekly and detailed regularly. I am wondering if the ceramic coating will enhance the finish and extend the “detailing” results. And I hate swirl marks and micro-scratches. I have a black 911 that sits in the garage most of the time, it seems to end up with micro-scratches just from exposure to air!

Please give me me your thoughts. I am thinking about taking the plunge.

Thanks. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating, are they worth it.

There is a lot of advantages and dis advantages. I jumped to Cquartz Uk 3.0 and Polish Angel Viking coat. I like coatings as I don’t have much time for all the time washes since family is more important. Coatings do require decontamination washes etc every few months. There is a tonne to read and everyone is subject to what is best. I’d pick one and try out. Buy it when Autogeek has a sale and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

While quartz/glass/ceramic coatings are all in the same general category with respect to LSP’s, there are subtle differences in them and you may as well go with one that is strong in your primary areas of concern.

And FWIW, claims of hardness, scratch resistance and such are, IMO, way over-marketed with coatings. While they may provide some minor resistance to light marring, it's a harsh world out there and many things (jewelry banging paint around door handles, boxes hitting trunk areas while loading, leaning on hood of vehicle with grimy sweatshirts, etc) *will* leave a mark. Problem with coatings is the only way to remedy those marks/marring is to re-polish (removing coating) and re-coating that area, generally an entire panel as many coatings don't lend themselves well to spot fixes. If you're horribly OCD-ish about having a totally defect free car for 2 years, a coating may not be the best way to go...

Longevity is likewise impossible to truly predict due to variations in climate, vehicle usage and maintenance habits. Claims listed on packages/advertisements are generally somewhat, uh...optimistic. Not always, but usually...

So, no real clearcut answer, weigh the options, proceed accordingly. If'n ya wanna give the 'coating lifestyle' a try, perhaps Gyeon CanCoat a good first step:

Gyeon CanCoat:
    YouTube

FWIW, our coated cars get a good decon wash each Spring but aside from that, maintenance is a breeze.

4. Likes The Guz, Rmd, VitreousHumor, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had GTechniq EXO 3 on DD for 6 months with 1x per month wash, outside all winter. Still holding up.
    It really shines is cleanup of bird bombs, The easiest cleanup!
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

No actual experience with these coatings but for what I’ve seen and read they are for people that take consistent care and maintenance of their cars’ exteriors. They will offer increased protection and “self cleaning” but you do have to clean it regularly and refresh it with compatible toppings. And they are prone to water spots so those have to be addressed quickly. It is kind of an oxymoron that coating will protect the paint from damage but the coating needs regular care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post

I am thinking about taking the plunge.

Thanks. Phil
    What’s the old saying you won’t know until you try. I say give it a go at least on one car and see if a coating is for you.

As mentioned, CanCoat is a good starting point. It will do well for you in California.

I’ve been testing out coatings here in So Cal for the past few years and so far Cquartz UK 3.0 has performed the best. Cquartz TiO2 is holding it’s own and it right on the heels of CQUK 3.0. CanCoat was a pleasant surprise exceeding all expectations for a lite version of a coating.

I would not recommend Gyeon Syncro or Optimum Gloss Coat based on my experience with them.

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so much of personal preference with coatings. As it is with when compare a wax with another wax or sealant vs another sealant. Some like the most bang for the buck and some can go with a quite expensive show car wax. The sealants is useally if you prefer a long lasting one or one that is a little cheaper. There are not much difference when maintaining a wax or sealant but there some products that you stay away from with these also. With coatings you would want to maintain it with a way that not give you a less performance on them. But it's not a must as if you take out the scratch claims you would still have a solid protection against bird droppings and acid rains and other protection parts. And here it is where it excells.

The problems that often comes up is prone to water spots. I think it's only if you live in an environment that you can get hard water spots often. Otherwise if takeing care of the paint as you do now without water spots and that is possible to remove if getting and. You will be fine with a coating too. As for the need of decon the coating is also environment based. See it like when you clean the paint thoroughly when re-applying your LSP of choice now. But without the need to be re-applying the coating.

As for the topping part of the coating. It's also about the environment and personal preference. Most coatings you don't need to be topping it. But as with all LSPs it degrade over time. And if you want extend the longevity of the coating or the properties it has a topper is a choice to do. Then some like to use a topper to change the looks and also just likes to put something extra on the paint. The topper coatings is to excell some properties that your choice of coating can have as a weakness. By adding gloss or water behavior and self cleaning ability from them.

As for is it worth it money wise. That's also about what you have for personal preference. It's not the cheapest when compared to sealants that have most bang for the buck. So it's most about getting the coating that gives you the most bang for the buck vs another coating. And you have also the time you cut down on after application of it. You would be adding up the wax or sealant against the coatings longevity to see the results. Coatings is very easy to wash and dry and the decons don't take that much of time as it's chemical decons. It can be an investments to get a car soap that is for the coatings and decon products and prep products and maintance products when you start with maintance of it. These are often very concentrated and reach you longer. Then it's also with what coating you go with and why. Are you going for the best looking for you or just the most bang for the buck or the longest longevity.

It's certainly something I missed to this. But if you like the glass covered looks or the other looks you can get from some. I say go for it and test one well knowned coating out. Make up the plan for maintance products and what to get down the road. Is it something in the environment you live in you will have to consider if a coating is standing up to it or you would be maintain it more with getting a product that does it. The maintance is almost the same but with different products often that you already have.

Post Thanks / Like

I think coatings have their place, like a wax and a sealant. Having tried all types of protection; I went back to a sealant topped with a wax or just a stand alone wax. Right now, the wax I am using is Polish Angel Centurion and their Black Wulfenite Spray wax. In fact, of all the experiments with all types of protections, this seems the best for me. The reason why is because my ride is a garage queen and I love taking care of my ride.

IMO a coating would be best if your ride is constantly out in the elements and not a garage queen.

Any product such as a coating, sealant or wax is better than no protection. When I detail friends cars I usually see how they take care of their ride and how they treat their ride. Most of the time, they will get a consumer grade coating.

All in all, it's up to you what you think is best! Mine was a good qulity wax and a good quality spray wax as a maintenance! Tell us what you have decide and IMO you can't go wrong with any of these types.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Fully agree with Budgetplan and Kamakz1961, and other posters. There is no right or wrong. All options have pros and cons. I have had great results with can coat. About 6 mos ago I coated my car with CQ UK 3.0, and it’s excellent. The primary reason I went with coating was protection. It won’t protect from marring or swirls, but protection from the elements. As you know, in SoCal (actually LoCal in your case ��) we don’t have snow, salt, (or even rain usually) but cars that sit outside are in the sun day after day, and I do think the coating offers some protection from that. Depending on how close you are to the water in La Jolla you also can have salt air and ocean fog to deal with and that is pretty brutal over time.

PS, I used to live in PB, but haven’t been back for a long time. Is Lahina’s still there? Pitchers at sunset watching the sun sink over the water was an awesome tradition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    No actual experience with these coatings but for what I’ve seen and read they are for people that take consistent care and maintenance of their cars’ exteriors. They will offer increased protection and “self cleaning” but you do have to clean it regularly and refresh it with compatible toppings. And they are prone to water spots so those have to be addressed quickly. It is kind of an oxymoron that coating will protect the paint from damage but the coating needs regular care.
    Quite the contrary in my experience. While my personal cars are coated and receive somewhat OCD-ish care, most of the coatings I have tried have been on fleet vehicles that *may* get a soap/rinse tunnel wash once or twice a year and 50-50 if they'll see a bucket wash in a given year.

Find a quality product/coating that excels in self-cleaning characteristics and they look freshly washed from 3ft away with nice gloss...all with no attention. Got one running since March 2017, 1 bucket wash, 2 or 3 touchless tunnel washes since then, probably 50k miles and still shines like a new penny after a hard rain.

Neat stuff for lazy folks like me who still enjoy some shiny paint.

13. Thanks BadgerRivFan thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM, Desertnate liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast