autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Semi Permanent Tire Coating Face Off

Finally got some time today to apply 2 fairly new products to my beater work car to get some real world testing.
    I drive this car to and from work every day. The tires are about a year old and have only ever been dressed with PERL at 1:1.
    I scrubbed the tires with McKee’s tire and rubber rejuvenator until I got white suds. This took 3 rounds of scrubbing with a tuff shine tire brush.
    I then dried with my Metro Sidekick and let them air dry for an hour or so.
    I used an Adam’s VRT foam block which I cut in half because I feel they are easier to manage this way. The OPT product was applied to both front tires while the Adams was applied to both rears.
    Onto some pictures.

OPT immediately after 1st coat

Adams immediately after 1st coat

OPT 10 mins after 1st coat

Adams 10 mins after 1st coat

OPT 30 mins after 2nd coat

Adams 30 mins after 2nd coat

Full disclosure, the 2nd coat pics are from the passenger side do to a rain shower that came through and streaked the LF tire, which was cleaned up a while later. The Adams had no streaking from the rain.
    My thoughts are that the OPT will last longer because my gloves and applicator started to become tacky and stiff after 20 minutes or so.
    Also the OPT is much darker in appearance while Adams has more of a natural look. I’ll try to post updates every week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Strong66, Diner, 392hemi, Eldorado2k, bofh and 1 others thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, 392hemi, cullen2505, SWETM, Paul A. and 1 others liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Semi Permanent Tire Coating Face Off

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post

I then dried with my Metro Sidekick and let them air dry for an hour or so.

Cool test. I like tire coatings. Just applied 6 layers of Tuf Shine to some brand new BF Goodrich All Terrains last Saturday. Will try to share some pictures sometime.

Question, because you have a Metro-Vac Sidekick did you blow dry and blow out the tire coatings while they were wet?

I start with the nozzle at the outer edge of the rim and then blow outward. This not only dries the coating fast so you can apply multiple coats while sitting on your butt in front of the same tire, (before moving around to the other tires), and it also does a great job of blowing the coating in and around all the lettering and other design features on the sidewall.

4. Thanks mdbenge thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, fly07sti, Aaryn NZ, SWETM, Paul A. and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not hit the tires with the Sidekick while the coating was applied. I wanted to see how they leveled out as today was my first go round with the OPT product. I do use that trick when I apply the McKee’s tire coating and another brand of tire coating and it works very well.
    Also, never did see any pics of your Lexus after you applied PNS to them. I’m really curious as to how they held up.

6. Thanks tosh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to your real world results on a DD. I believe your initial impressions will be correct. I really like Adams products for their ease of use and aesthetics but as a whole the durability of the entire product line sucks.

8. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done. Curious to see how they hold up especially on a DD.

10. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post

Also, never did see any pics of your Lexus after you applied PNS to them. I’m really curious as to how they held up.
    I JUST finished washing the Lexus. It's been 3 months easy since the last wash job. She was dirty.

From what I can see - PNS is not a good choice for a tire dressing.

I wish it were, I like it on everything else.

12. Thanks Maxreed241, fly07sti, 392hemi, Diner, Paul A. thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, SWETM, mdbenge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the Optimum has that "blue/purple" color in that first coat, reminds me of TW Endura but without the black dye to go along with it, also Black Pearl but you certainly know that that already (thanks for that sample again!) I believe whatever makes that "blue/purple" color is the active ingredient that makes it last, wonder what that is. The finish has more pop too compared to the Adam's as well, but some people like the more natural look. That said, when I tried the Adam's Tire Armor it didn't last but that was on my old Abarth and its winter tires, they would absorb tire products like no ones business, except Griot's Garage Black Shine tire gel and both of the Gyeon tire products, that's it.

I expect Optimum to win this one, I had high hopes for Adam's Tire Armor but I guess we'll see in this test. IIRC in their own video they (Adam's) say 2 weeks of protection, atleast their honest, LOL!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

14. Likes fly07sti, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Cool test. I like tire coatings. Just applied 6 layers of Tuf Shine to some brand new BF Goodrich All Terrains last Saturday. Will try to share some pictures sometime.

Question, because you have a Metro-Vac Sidekick did you blow dry and blow out the tire coatings while they were wet?

I start with the nozzle at the outer edge of the rim and then blow outward. This not only dries the coating fast so you can apply multiple coats while sitting on your butt in front of the same tire, (before moving around to the other tires), and it also does a great job of blowing the coating in and around all the lettering and other design features on the sidewall.

Out of curiosity, why 6 layers? Isn't that excessive??? Two layers I could see, but no more than that. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the test! Its been a while since I saw that generation Sentra, especially in such amazing condition! Owned a 200SX SE-R for a short period.

Excited to see how these do as I'm looking for a long lasting tire coating.

17. Thanks fly07sti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Thank you for the test! Its been a while since I saw that generation Sentra, especially in such amazing condition! Owned a 200SX SE-R for a short period.

Excited to see how these do as I'm looking for a long lasting tire coating.
    Ha Ha. It is a clean little car. It’s a 93 with 120k and runs like a top.

19. Likes Coatingsarecrack, Diner liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast