autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron/Fallout Removers?

Quote Originally Posted by Firedude386 View Post
    DO you need to use iron remover if you clay bar/mitt?
    Yes the claybar didnt not get everything out. I did claybar twice in a few spots. I have the orange specks everywhere!!! Some have came out but others are just badly in the paint.
    ----------------------
    2018 Jeep GC High Altitude
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Sport Package

Post Thanks / Like

So did the wife’s Jeep with megs all wheel cleaner and it worked well....however I used the whole 32oz bottle on that car! It was a mess! I hit a few spots 2x. It doesn’t smell bad. My process was clean the car first, the. Spray it on and wait 5 mins (before it dries). Then high pressured rinse it off. I believe this is a good way to do this. Let me way or something I am doing wrong.
    ----------------------
    2018 Jeep GC High Altitude
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Sport Package

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapboxpreacher View Post
    So did the wife’s Jeep with megs all wheel cleaner and it worked well....however I used the whole 32oz bottle on that car! It was a mess! I hit a few spots 2x. It doesn’t smell bad. My process was clean the car first, the. Spray it on and wait 5 mins (before it dries). Then high pressured rinse it off. I believe this is a good way to do this. Let me way or something I am doing wrong.
    Pretty much how it's done. If you have a lot of iron particals that is hard to be rinsed off. You can aggitate lightly with a mf towel or other wash media and get more effective removal. If I see it's very bad on the second application I useally do this. And it's easy to control to just spraying a little on a spot where you had bleeding effect on if it's still bleeds you have it on still. This is also where a dedicated iron remover is showing it's effective removal IME.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Firedude386 View Post

DO you need to use iron remover if you clay bar/mitt?

Good question. Here's the technical answer.

Claying also referred to as MECHANICL decontamination - mechanically abrades contaminants that are BONDED to the surface and will not simply wash or wipe off.

Iron removers are referred to as CHEMICAL decontamination - chemically dissolves both above surface and below surface contaminants so they will wash off.

Here's one of my personal favorite articles I've written over the years. I reference this in a lot of classes when we cover the topic of chemical decontamination.

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    The meguiars products gets good reviews, so does the McKee’s. I have Griots fallout and iron x. Going to compare soon when I polish. All are $79 on AG so if you wait for a sale would be 59$. I feel though as much as I’ve read on it being 25$ more a gallon it’s worth it. If your not a hobbiest then I get it that can be a lot of $25 dollar bills over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you had a chance to compare your Griots Garage Iron & Fallout Remover and CarPro Iron X?

Post Thanks / Like

What I have notice most iron removers are now iron remover/wheel cleaner with these products you can only use synthetic clay because a traditional clay bar get broken down and will be unusable.

One advantage of ironx it had had less effect on traditional clay bar and you didn’t have to switch to clay mitt. Clay bars tend to do a better job in my experience but that slight edge is made up by newer gen iron removers that are wheel cleaner they have a bigger punch and work great with clay mitt.

It is important to me that clay and iron remover is combined into 1 step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    What I have notice most iron removers are now iron remover/wheel cleaner with these products you can only use synthetic clay because a traditional clay bar get broken down and will be unusable.

One advantage of ironx it had had less effect on traditional clay bar and you didn’t have to switch to clay mitt. Clay bars tend to do a better job in my experience but that slight edge is made up by newer gen iron removers that are wheel cleaner they have a bigger punch and work great with clay mitt.

It is important to me that clay and iron remover is combined into 1 step.
    I just asked a relevant question here https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1651188
    Trying to clear up the confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post
    Have you had a chance to compare your Griots Garage Iron & Fallout Remover and CarPro Iron X?
    I did. Unfortunately I got no purpling from either which I guess is a good thing but kind of disappointing. The Griots is more gel like and cling to paint better which I would think would be better if you have lots of contaminates. Wheels no purple either but brakes bled well. If it’s true that griots has double the amount of active ingredient and clings better may work better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12