autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealer washes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer washes

If that water looks clean to you there's something wrong with your eyes or your monitor.

Post Thanks / Like

Dealer washes

OMG.... and here I was thinking of picking up a new vehicle this weekend...

Makes me wish auto makers would just do away with the dealership model. Tesla is the only “buy direct” car company.

Thanks for ruining my weekend Pauly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

that's why i use one of these and also mention to the service adviser on not washing the car. i also will walk around and look at the garage/car wash bay to make sure as well. luckily, they haven't washed it yet. if they do at some point, i'm gonna print a 9X11 sign and get it laminated and put it under the front windshield wipers too. hopefully, i won't have to...

5. Likes dlc95, Jon TDS, Trip, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    that's why i use one of these and also mention to the service adviser on not washing the car. i also will walk around and look at the garage/car wash bay to make sure as well. luckily, they haven't washed it yet. if they do at some point, i'm gonna print a 9X11 sign and get it laminated and put it under the front windshield wipers too. hopefully, i won't have to...
    I can't believe how incredibly difficult it is to prevent these guys from washing a vehicle.

I have to wash before service to prevent them from washing.

7. Likes minerigger liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Sad to say this is the norm. I have pictures like this too...

There's an old saying, goes like this,

Each one teach one

Each time I detail someone's car, (and of course I teach this in all my classes), I explain to them that they CANNOT let the dealership wash their car when they take it in for service. I also explain the problem with any type of car wash other than,

Touchless wash
    Owner wash
    Professional Detailer Wash

And after doing my best to educate them I give them one of these....

If they listen and act upon what I tell them they're good to go.

If it goes in one ear and out the other - hey... I tried. Either they don't "really" care or they do and they forgot what I told them and the first time someone screws up their paint via washing they will remember our conversation.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All 3 of the dealerships ,for the cars listed below, know it’s a NO No to wash my car even if it’s a hand wash. No way
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    That brush on paint is going to give me nightmares!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I can't even watch them, Bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’d start to feel nauseous!
    My cars only go back to the dealer for a recall. The last time, I told them not to wash it, but I was so nervous about it, I pretty much paced in front of the door to the wash bay to make sure I didn't see them bringing it in there. Fortunately they were good about it and didn't try. The did put the brushes back in the bucket, not on the floor...but the dry towels they were using went on top of the shop vac exhaust to dry while they were vacuuming the interiors...

Post Thanks / Like

I have to show this to my friend, he is picking up a new 2019 Corvette next weekend, he ordered it 8 weeks ago. I told him I will wash and wax it for you, do not let the dealership touch the car! Let it come home dirty!

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My SIL quit having her vehicle serviced at our dealership because we don't give washes to service vehicles unless we do a motor swap or some other large repair and get it dirty,,we also only do our own details for the lot and no customers,,thank goodness because I'm not geared for production work.
    The dealer she brings it to now washes it with every oil change and it totally looks like hell but hey,,she gets that free wash with every oil change so who cares right.

Not all dealers are created equal when it comes to car care for sure and we aren't perfect either but keep in mind that sometimes dealers get the cars fresh of the carrier messed up.
    One Particular incident comes to mind was about 2007 or 2008 when we got a new Vette off the carrier that rode front top and hit every low hanging tree branch on the way,,luckily I saved it but it took a lot of work
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

My cars only go back to the dealer for a recall.

The last time, I told them not to wash it, but I was so nervous about it,

I pretty much paced in front of the door to the wash bay to make sure I didn't see them bringing it in there.

That would be me. Trust but verify.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post

Not all dealers are created equal when it comes to car care for sure and we aren't perfect either but keep in mind that sometimes dealers get the cars fresh of the carrier messed up.
    I for one can appreciate your comment. I also appreciate your dedication to the craft and your participation on this forum. I try to not paint with a broad stroke when I talk about the work done at dealerships as I know not each and every dealership offers horrible washing and detailing.

I also know the IDA is trying hard to make in-roads into the dealership industry and bring this industry up to speed with education not only about the washing and detailing side but also the customer satisfaction aspect of their business. I'd say this is a tough nut to crack but it will come with time and education of the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post

One Particular incident comes to mind was about 2007 or 2008 when we got a new Vette off the carrier that rode front top and hit every low hanging tree branch on the way,,luckily I saved it but it took a lot of work

And that's the results from having a pro on staff.

17. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12