autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to build a detail kit, looking for recommendations

First this is merely for personal use, I am not a pro. Second I want the kit to be centered around easy to us and simple. As I posted on an earlier thread I have a new Tesla model 3 performance edition with the sport package. It is in metallic white and I live in the chicago north burbs. Winter was tough this year we had several below 25 degree days, lots of snow and even some rain. Illionis salts as well. So that the background now, I am look8ng to build a detail kit around the Tesla. My hope and plan is to have this car for a long while. I absolutely love it! With this kit here is what I believe I need, some stuff I have to start with some I have but might want to swap or replace out. Others I just need to add. So here is what I believe a detail kit should consist of:

2 buckets (have, Menards 5 gallons)
    2 bucket roller caddies (need)
    2 large drying towel (have one waffle weave xl)
    1 auto washing soap (have meguiars gold class)
    3 wash mitts (1 megs microfiber, one wool, one that is ####...might need to star over)
    foam applicators
    waxes...I don’t know where to begin. I have nxt 2.0, megs ultimate liquid wax, Collinite 845 (haven’t used yet), Wolfgang DGPS 3.0. I have used nxt 1.0 and liked it went on easy looked great but doesn’t last...luster was very good. Wolfgang just went on, looks great but no experience with durability, haven’t used collinite but here it is durable but lacks depth and gloss.
    1 cleaner wax? (Need one)
    microfiber buffing towels. I have tons from Costco...the Kirkland ones. They have a tag on them...damn it! And some sams clubs one but those are not as good as the Kirkland ones.
    Detailing creeper I had one and it was a Williams that broke...its junk (need one)

I’m sure there’s more for need wheel brush, applicator for tire shine, and whatever you guys think. My apologies for the long thread just want to cover everything to get a complete, easy yet simple kit. I do not want to get a buffer either. Easy is good.
    ----------------------
    2018 Jeep GC High Altitude
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Sport Package

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to build a detail kit, looking for recommendations

That’s a lot of mumble to read above and honestly I didn’t read it.

Perhaps try breaking it apart a bit then posting! You will get better replies.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Skip bucket roller caddie,

Try griots or speedmaster creeper. Large casters, rolls almost anywhere. If you buy either one get the but pad from griots.

Soaps: when done with gold class upgrade soaps. I like optimum for price, suds and ph neutral. Reset popular but expensive. If sticking with meguiars hyperwash seems to be their gem.

Waxes: don’t use em. Use sio2 based products.

I stopped with 2 bucket method and just use one bucket 8 mitts. Clean a section and then use new mitt.

Try rinseless washes if want to cut down on time and want to wash in garage in winter. Lots of popular ones out their Ech20, WG Uber, ONR, McKee’s n-914.

Microfiber: for me personally Griots PFM to dry, RC creature edgeless 420 for rinseless and waterless all around. RC Everest 800’s. Buttery soft for LSP removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The rag company creature edgeless towels are awesome, I have 30 of them

If you want a wax, I just used collinite 915 on my car, it looks great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You would benefit from a quick detailer or waterless wash. ECH2O would be a good choice for this. You can use them as both and it will give you some gloss. Some more wash mitts and a couple more drying towels would also help.

A popular choice these days is topping Collinite with Power Lock. Maybe look into that. You can also do better with your soap choice as someone else already mentioned. Just pick up some other items as you go along and try new things. You will have a garage full of items in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Drying towels---> look no further than Griots PFM.....pricey but worth it

Two buckets---> have also ditched the two bucket method....multiple mitts...dirty one does not go back on the vehicle

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soap ---> nothing wrong with Megs Gold Class for an over-the-counter product....economical, cleans well.

Wax ---> I think you'll like the WGDPS....on the sealant lines, consider McKees HiDef. If you're looking for a carnuba product...Jescar ColorLock

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to regret buying a PFM towel

I can’t tell you the last time I washed with only one mitt. Many all the way!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Waxes: don’t use em. Use sio2 based products.
    I actually am thoroughly disappointed in the performance of Reload enough that I threw away the bottle I had of it.

I’ve had better and more consistent durability out of D156 than I ever got out of Reload. Reload is essentially washed away after one rainstorm for me. It’s probably one of the most disappointing products I’ve purchased.

That’s not to say that I dislike all si02 based products. Meguiars HCW lasted easily a couple months of winter, and had fantastic self cleaning and beading for what it is. It was by no means degraded or dead when I reapplied either. I just happened to have access to a hose. I plan to experiment using it as my only form of protection when it’s warm enough to deal with a hose outside.

To dismiss non si02 products just seems hasty. Brilliant shine detailer isn’t si02 based, and it also consistently performed better than Reload, ime.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I actually am thoroughly disappointed in the performance of Reload enough that I threw away the bottle I had of it.

I’ve had better and more consistent durability out of D156 than I ever got out of Reload. Reload is essentially washed away after one rainstorm for me. It’s probably one of the most disappointing products I’ve purchased.

That’s not to say that I dislike all si02 based products. Meguiars HCW lasted easily a couple months of winter, and had fantastic self cleaning and beading for what it is. It was by no means degraded or dead when I reapplied either. I just happened to have access to a hose. I plan to experiment using it as my only form of protection when it’s warm enough to deal with a hose outside.

To dismiss non si02 products just seems hasty. Brilliant shine detailer isn’t si02 based, and it also consistently performed better than Reload, ime.

Yeah that’s probably the worst reviewed sio2 product out their. I’ve used hydrosilex, shinesupply clutch, kami overcoat, all have performed better for me, than any wax I’ve previously used. I. believe future of hobby detailing is coating lites, which I have gyeon cancoat, tacs system moonlight and dr Beasley’s plasma coat. All which I will play with this spring. Plan for personal car is cquk3 2 coats. Topped with cancoat. I’d don’t think theirs a wax out their that can hold a candle to cancoat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast