autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint thickness gauges $10-$15

These gauges are on eBay for $10-$15 can someone that knows enough about them comment am I wasting $10 see below I never used one. The accuracy of .03mm is comparable to a ceramic coating right? Or am I way off and the accuracy would be an issue if purchased
    • Measuring Range: 0~1.80mm / 0~0.71mil
    • Accuracy: (+/-)0.03mm
    • Resolution: 0.01mm/1mm
    • Min. Dia. of Substrate: 50mm
    • Min. Thickness of Substrate: 0.5mm
    • Power Supply: 2 * 1.5V AAA Batteries (NOT Included)
    • Operating Temperature: 0-40°C
    • Operating Humidity: 10-95% RH
    • Size: 62 * 31 * 105mm
    • Color: Orange

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint thickness gauges $10-$15

I'll defer to those with more expert experience but something about $10-$15 for a PTG would scare me.

3. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    These gauges are on eBay for $10-$15
    can someone that knows enough about
    them comment am I wasting $10

The accuracy of .03mm...

Or am I way off and the accuracy
    would be an issue if purchased
    • Measuring Range: 0~1.80mm / 0~0.71mil
    IMO:
    When buffing/correcting automotive paint...
    having a PTG, that can accurately measure
    in both mil and micron increments, is a must.

From here, it doesn’t appear the $10-15 one(s)
    you listed have that capability; accuracy could
    suffer...so could the paint. {Of course there are
    conversion tables that can be sourced, in the
    heat-of-the-moment...}

But, hey: what’s a measly $10-15 amongst friends?!?!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

5. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At that price it's very likelly a magnet based gauge. You put it on the paint and pull. Depending how thick the paint is the gauge will reveal more or less of the stick. It's a good way to check if there was any body work done on the car and to have a general idea of paint thickness. For paint correction or sanding, I would not trust it to be precise enough.

7. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be neat to see how it works compared to a high quality on.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint thickness gauges $10-$15

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    At that price it's very likelly a magnet based gauge. You put it on the paint and pull. Depending how thick the paint is the gauge will reveal more or less of the stick. I would not trust it to be precise enough.
    That’s not how this one works. You’re referring to those pen shaped paint gauges that reveal more or less of the stick and on some of them the stick is color coded to make them easier to read.

I have this paint depth gauge. I think it’s adequate for the most part but I dunno if I’d... Well actually maybe I shouldn’t say anything negative about it just yet, because it does seem to work. Check it out.

It comes with a metal plate and several films that are used to calibrate it. Once it’s calibrated it’s able to measure each film and does it repeatedly spot on without fail.

IME once it’s calibrated it stays calibrated meaning you don’t have to do it everytime you use it. It stays accurate.

Now lets go measure my paint.

On my 02’ Cadillac DTS, which prior to me owning it had seen quite a bit of neglect throughout the years I get a reading of 0.16mm [what is this? Microns?] on the trunklid.

I can’t even get a reading on the roof...

Keep in mind that the roof was by far the most neglected part on the car, remember how it looked completely prepped for compound/polish. Beyond neglect, this paint was straight up abused.

This is how it looks today. I didn’t need anything to tell me this paint here is super thin and delicate, I knew it all along, that’s why I didn’t attempt to go any harder than it would allow me to and I’m fine with where it’s at because any more would’ve lead to failure.

Onto the hood... It gives me a reading of
    .27 mm

Now check out the hood on the 2014 Kia Sorento, which I’ve made it my goal to put off machine polishing until it shows visual signs of needing to be polished.. I get a reading of .70mm

Now lets switch it to mils.

Cadillac trunk: It goes from nothing to 6 mils on certain areas of the trunklid, but for the most part I get nothing.

Cadillac hood: 11 mils

Kia hood: 27 mils

Is it perfectly accurate? I dunno, but it definitely shows a difference.

10. Likes Bruno Soares, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

27 mils? Is that even possible? That is 648 microns. I have never seen paint that thick. Unless of course the panel was repaired and you have bondo there, then it would make sense.

Getting no reading at all is strange. Usually when that happens is because the panel is non-metalic. Like if you have a fiberglass or carbon-fiber there, but on a roof that is very unlikelly. The other thing might be that there is so much bondo there that the gauge can't get a reading at all... has the roof been repaired? And can you get any reading anywhere else on the roof?

Strange that the gauge is showing mm as a mesurement, mils and microns are usually the units used. I don't like Mils because I think it's not precise enough, but I guess any mesurement can do, you just have to get used to it. If the gauge is precise then it doesn't really matter.

12. Likes JKDesign, conman1395 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    27 mils? Is that even possible? That is 648 microns. I have never seen paint that thick. Unless of course the panel was repaired and you have bondo there, then it would make sense.

Getting no reading at all is strange. Usually when that happens is because the panel is non-metalic. Like if you have a fiberglass or carbon-fiber there, but on a roof that is very unlikelly. The other thing might be that there is so much bondo there that the gauge can't get a reading at all... has the roof been repaired? And can you get any reading anywhere else on the roof?

Strange that the gauge is showing mm as a mesurement, mils and microns are usually the units used. I don't like Mils because I think it's not precise enough, but I guess any mesurement can do, you just have to get used to it. If the gauge is precise then it doesn't really matter.
    I know that’s pretty crazy huh? I don’t really know what to make of it but at least it’s consistent with its readings. Lol.

Even stranger is that it won’t give me any reading at all on my brothers brand new Ford truck no matter where I test it. That’s the only vehicle it draws a complete blank on.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a big problem with the industry and hundreds-of-dollars for a thickness gauge..... it's a huge ripoff to the lamen. Was there a time when tape measures were hundred of dollars? It's simply stupid and its times like this where I say I am glad other companies are commoditizing stuff like this. Genericizing some products makes perfect sense for the consumer.

15. Thanks AaronE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That’s not how this one works. You’re referring to those pen shaped paint gauges that reveal more or less of the stick and on some of them the stick is color coded to make them easier to read.

I have this paint depth gauge. I think it’s adequate for the most part but I dunno if I’d... Well actually maybe I shouldn’t say anything negative about it just yet, because it does seem to work. Check it out.

It comes with a metal plate and several films that are used to calibrate it. Once it’s calibrated it’s able to measure each film and does it repeatedly spot on without fail.

IME once it’s calibrated it stays calibrated meaning you don’t have to do it everytime you use it. It stays accurate.

Now lets go measure my paint.

On my 02’ Cadillac DTS, which prior to me owning it had seen quite a bit of neglect throughout the years I get a reading of 0.16mm [what is this? Microns?] on the trunklid.

I can’t even get a reading on the roof...

Keep in mind that the roof was by far the most neglected part on the car, remember how it looked completely prepped for compound/polish. Beyond neglect, this paint was straight up abused.

This is how it looks today. I didn’t need anything to tell me this paint here is super thin and delicate, I knew it all along, that’s why I didn’t attempt to go any harder than it would allow me to and I’m fine with where it’s at because any more would’ve lead to failure.

Onto the hood... It gives me a reading of
    .27 mm

Now check out the hood on the 2014 Kia Sorento, which I’ve made it my goal to put off machine polishing until it shows visual signs of needing to be polished.. I get a reading of .70mm

Now lets switch it to mils.

Cadillac trunk: It goes from nothing to 6 mils on certain areas of the trunklid, but for the most part I get nothing.

Cadillac hood: 11 mils

Kia hood: 27 mils

Is it perfectly accurate? I dunno, but it definitely shows a difference.
    Too funny that is the exact one I order yellow and everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast