autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wait, WHAT? What do you NOT like about your polisher??

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    I did a lot of research. Having owned a PC7424 for well over a decade.

I purchased a 3inch backing plate and pads for the PC and pur based from Autogeek the Griots Boss 21 package with 5 inch and 6.5 inch backing plates and pads.

I chose the Griots for the lifetime warranty vs the Rupes. Both are good systems. I was surprised how much faster and quicker a long throw did work, vs my old porter cable.

I'm not a pro and don't detail for money. Just an enthusiast, do my own and family cars. You cant go wrong with any system.

Did you ever consider Flex? I'll be upgrading this year and trying to weigh the options. Thanks for the thread prostar!

2. Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait, WHAT? What do you NOT like about your polisher??

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Everyone seems to go through the progression of Harbor frieght to GG6.
    The only 8mm polisher that I honestly consider to be clearly better than my HF DA is the Meguiars MT 300. Barring any power cord hiccups [I’m pretty sure they’ve sorted that out] that’s the only 8mm polisher worth any hype. It really is a cut above in every area from ergonomics to power when it comes to the 8mm class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The only 8mm polisher that I honestly consider to be clearly better than my HF DA is the Meguiars MT 300. Barring any power cord hiccups [I’m pretty sure they’ve sorted that out] that’s the only 8mm polisher worth any hype. It really is a cut above in every area from ergonomics to power when it comes to the 8mm class.
    Mine did this weird thing where it wouldn’t turn on when I pulled the trigger, but after a stern talking to and a good solid slap, it hasn’t done it since.

Only did it a few times, but was super annoying every time. Other than that I have no complaints about the polisher, other than I wish I had just gotten a 15 or 21 right out of the gate.

The mt300 feels fine, but I think with all the options today it’s kind of antiquated going with one over a 15 or 21 for your first polisher. I wish I had gone that route. Everyone will eventually want more, imo. I went against my better judgement and didn’t buy something I could “grow in to” like I do with most things in life.

No real complaints though. It’s a nice tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Mine did this weird thing where it wouldn’t turn on when I pulled the trigger, but after a stern talking to and a good solid slap, it hasn’t done it since.

Only did it a few times, but was super annoying every time. Other than that I have no complaints about the polisher, other than I wish I had just gotten a 15 or 21 right out of the gate.

The mt300 feels fine, but I think with all the options today it’s kind of antiquated going with one over a 15 or 21 for your first polisher. I wish I had gone that route. Everyone will eventually want more, imo. I went against my better judgement and didn’t buy something I could “grow in to” like I do with most things in life.

No real complaints though. It’s a nice tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea but the 1 thing it and the other 8mm polishers can do that shouldn’t be overlooked is hook up to a 3” backing plate. 15mm long throws are cool, but they can’t turn into 3” polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

My only criticism of my Flex 3401 is the limit on using smaller pads. I would love to be able to switch out to a smaller backing plate and use 2" pads. I LOVE the driven action of that machine and would like to get into nooks and crannies with it.

Having said that, i get around that by outfitting my Porter Cable 7336 (yes, a 20 yr old machine) with 3 inchers and my rotary with 1" and 2" pads. Of those 2 smaller options I prefer my rotary...the PC has too much pad "shadow" when working in smaller areas. My rotary, sometimes with spindle extensions, fits into tight places perfectly. When I hit the PowerBall I'm gonna get a Nano!

Now, there is also the argument of saving time by simply having a second machine plugged in and on my cart for a quick grab rather than swapping out the gear plate and smaller BP but, like I said above, I love the action of my Beast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Did you ever consider Flex? I'll be upgrading this year and trying to weigh the options. Thanks for the thread prostar!
    I did, I don't detail professionally so only needed (yes right needed) one machine.

I had a "reputable body guy" do a crap job on my car. The PC was taking forever and wearing me out. I was worried about the stalling, but I never had the G21 stall. The PC would stall when pushed hard on vertical panels.

After much reading on the forums and video watching, one complaint some had about 3401 was that it seemed to tire or fatigue the user out along with not finishing as well as the Boss. Now I'm sure that may also come down to user style (holding too tight/too loose, pressure, age, pads).

My G21 is smooth. Very smooth. It wears me down way less than my PC and literally takes me half the time when I do a car due to the throw.

To most the Rupes and Boss were smoother and less taxing. So I was torn between Rupes and Boss. I've always had good luck with Griots and wanted the warranty. So my choice was easy.

And someone just posted this

Too busy not to use just the Flex3401

9. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prostar View Post
    I'm sure we are not too far off from automated polishing...Skynet....

Jimbo with his sunglasses as...Arnold.Wait, WHAT? What do you NOT like about your polisher??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Polishing nano bots. Place them in the sun to charge, put them on your prepped paint and return to car after 4 hours.

11. Likes prostar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gsmarquis View Post
    Polishing nano bots. Place them in the sun to charge, put them on your prepped paint and return to car after 4 hours.
    In 20yrs. they’ll either be drones polishing or they’ll have something similar to those Roomba vacuums to polish cars. Lol

13. Likes spazzz, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the PE-8 with 1,2,3 accessories as an alternative to that one crazy priced small long reach right angle polisher.

There has to be a small corded long reach right angle polisher out there without all the extras(fancy case,polish,pads)

I am still happy about buying my Flex3401. I consider it money well spent for a hobby.

It gets a wee bit warm. I don't use it non stop because of the set down, wipe polish, clean pad, move stuff around routine.

15. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah, the dang heat of the 3401. forgot about that...thanks spazzz.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast