autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro Essence xtreme Gloss

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Im not trying to start any arguments just giving my opinion to someone who is going through the same things I just went through trying to find what works and what doesn't. The detailing process is long enough without doing unnecessary steps.

I hate that we often need to state this . . . . Unfortunately the world has made us like this because people often (more often than not) see a differing opinion as a act of war . . .

Luckily here on AGO it’s flipped around & most of the time opinions are respected & everyone can have there say.

I agree with what you’re saying totally, good solid advice indeed. I have to say yeah, you’re right - I haven’t done that comparison of ‘Wax/Essence’ but agree, wax would certainly add gloss. In my scenario I am using Essence as a primer before a Ceramic Coating installation.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Do you use the non abrasive stuff? I could get behind that.
    Essence +??? I love Essence +. I often use it as an AIO as well as it’s intended purpose for use with already coated vehicles. Super nice to work with & a little goes a very long way.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

2. Likes The Guz, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The CarPro catalog gives Essence a cut of 2 compared to Reflect which is a 3, Fixer at 6 (which is probably where correcting cream is at in terms of cut) and Clear Cut at a 10. The scale is 1-10. I could see why it did not do much if the areas had somewhat deeper defects.

I personally am not a fan of using Essence with a microfiber cutting pad as it just works better as a final finishing step prior to a coating.
    I think a rating of 2 is being optimistic. After using BOSS CC on BOSS orange to knock down the black piano trim, I tried the Essence on both the BOSS orange and yellow pads to remove the haze and did nothing at all. Either I got a bad bottle as suggested or it has closer to 0 or 1 in the cut area.

4. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    I think a rating of 2 is being optimistic. After using BOSS CC on BOSS orange to knock down the black piano trim, I tried the Essence on both the BOSS orange and yellow pads to remove the haze and did nothing at all. Either I got a bad bottle as suggested or it has closer to 0 or 1 in the cut area.
    Does not seem right. I have had no issues with Essence finishing out after compounding on black paint. Like Aaryn states it finishes out nicely with nice gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Does not seem right. I have had no issues with Essence finishing out after compounding on black paint. Like Aaryn states it finishes out nicely with nice gloss.
    Now that I think about it I think the bottle of Essence was expired by a few months, but not sure if that would matter or not.

Only thing I can think of is it left behind the exact same haze and didn't remove it. Keep in mind this isn't black paint, it's the piano black trim on the pillars that are crazy soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I think about it I think the bottle of Essence was expired by a few months, but not sure if that would matter or not.

Only thing I can think of is it left behind the exact same haze and didn't remove it. Keep in mind this isn't black paint, it's the piano black trim on the pillars that are crazy soft.
    I get that since that trim is soft. I have done the same to the pillars on my daily driver and Essence finished out fine. My 2002 Camaro SS has the black sail panel and also the black piano type pieces and Essence and Shine Supply Slick Back finish out the best on them. My uncles 2002 Crovette respray is super soft and Essence is one of the polishes that finishes out on it with no issue. At the time I used it, the bottle had not yet hit the expiration date. It has by now.

On harder paints Essence does not do that well in terms of cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it was Essence. I tried it on both the orange and yellow BOSS pads, absolutely no correction at all. I ended up using BOSS correcting cream on orange then finishing cream on yellow and then coated.
    Doh. That isn’t the normal performance I’d expect from Essence. I’m not familiar with Boss pads at all so I can’t offer anything there but I only use Essence with CarPro Gloss Pads & very rarely if ever am disappointed.

I personally am not a fan of using Essence with a microfiber cutting pad as it just works better as a final finishing step prior to a coating.
    Yup! I’m with you on this one Guz. I’m not a fan of microfibre pads much at all in any scenario but that’s just me. In terms of attempting to get any real ‘bite’ from Essence I know microfibre aids in that but I would rather use something like 3D ONE, Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, Megs 205 etc via a foam polishing pad.

Essence on CarPro Gloss Pads for the final step before coating - pure gold.

I wouldn’t imagine the bottle being expired by that long would make that much of a difference but I’m not an expert in that regard. I think CarPro’s rating of 2 is a pretty fair assessment. I dunno why it didn’t give you the results you were after on the black trim . . . unusual for sure. Don’t give up on Essence though, the rewards are there.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

9. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used this for the first time a week ago. I was pretty impressed although it was on a new car with almost zero marks. I told the dealer to not even remove the shipping plastic. Used essence with gloss pads and then moved onto UK3.0 followed by Reload. I forgot I actually had a bottle of essence so I ordered one. Hardly even put a dent in the first one. I found that after your passes are ending, treat the last pass like a wax job with a DA. Really puts that last bang on the shine.

11. Likes Aaryn NZ, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Adams correcting polish before essence, then cquk3. Should I panel wipe (eraser) after Adams before essence?

I’ve read you don’t need to after essence when applying cquk3, has anyone done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Using Adams correcting polish before essence, then cquk3. Should I panel wipe (eraser) after Adams before essence?

I’ve read you don’t need to after essence when applying cquk3, has anyone done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t ‘panel wipe’ in between Adams & Essence, & I know it’s known that you don’t have to after Essence prior to coating but I always panel wipe before any coating installation. For the little time it takes to have that extra ‘insurance’ so to speak, I feel it’s a worthy step to take.

Aaryn NZ.

15. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    With what pad and Essence did you use? And what worked on the black piano pillar trim?

And remember when preping for a coating it's Essence you use. Essence Plus is like an AIO on coatings when they have degraded some. If you use Essence Plus and then going to be applying a coating you get problems. As it would have problems to bond evenly. Essence goes under a coating and Essence Plus goes over a coating.
    Really? I thought they were the same thing except 1 has abrasives the other does not?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast