autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro Essence xtreme Gloss

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Great question.

Yes & No.

A lot of the time . . . Actually, most of the time I think I have achieved the maximum amount of gloss, depth & clarity when undertaking the finishing polish stage of a ‘correction’ & although knowing in the back of your mind that Essence can further enhance the finish, still doubts are there.

What harm could a quick test spot do???

Then, there it is! What you ‘expected’. More gloss, a deeper depth to the finish & a clarity that at times almost alters the colour all together. Black seems ‘blacker’, reds appear more vibrant, it’s crazy stuff Essence. Kinda an Expect the unexpected scenario I guess.

Personally, I don’t use it nor like it as a finishing polish as such, & I really don’t think that was its intended purpose but as a ‘gloss enhancer/primer’ its Win Win Win in my book.

Aaryn NZ.
    Do you use the non abrasive stuff? I could get behind that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Essence is a true finishing polish. It will do correction even with a wax pad. It has the same abrasive as any given finishing polish more or less. If you use another finishing polish and then essence you will be doing the finishing polish step twice.

If you were going to do that and you didn't want to repeat the finishing polish step twice I recommend using the non abrasive essence so you don't have to worry about doing the extra work of fully breaking the abrasive down.
    Thanks for your thoughts, whether or not I would want to use a finishing polish (and the extra effort that entails) prior to using Essence Extreme w/ gloss pads is what I was wondering. I would plan on using a swirl remover at minimum, hopefully with an orange pad and finishing with little/no pressure as my first polishing step. This alone should probably get me a very nice finish in preparation for Essence Extreme (but as Aaron suggested, I can do a test spot first).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Great question.

Yes & No.

A lot of the time . . . Actually, most of the time I think I have achieved the maximum amount of gloss, depth & clarity when undertaking the finishing polish stage of a ‘correction’ & although knowing in the back of your mind that Essence can further enhance the finish, still doubts are there.

What harm could a quick test spot do???

Then, there it is! What you ‘expected’. More gloss, a deeper depth to the finish & a clarity that at times almost alters the colour all together. Black seems ‘blacker’, reds appear more vibrant, it’s crazy stuff Essence. Kinda an Expect the unexpected scenario I guess.

Personally, I don’t use it nor like it as a finishing polish as such, & I really don’t think that was its intended purpose but as a ‘gloss enhancer/primer’ its Win Win Win in my book.
    Thanks, Aaron. Appreciate the feedback.

4. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts, whether or not I would want to use a finishing polish (and the extra effort that entails) prior to using Essence Extreme w/ gloss pads is what I was wondering. I would plan on using a swirl remover at minimum, hopefully with an orange pad and finishing with little/no pressure as my first polishing step. This alone should probably get me a very nice finish in preparation for Essence Extreme (but as Aaron suggested, I can do a test spot first).
    Yeah that would be perfect to use the abrasive essence after the swirl remover/medium polish. That's the right way to do it. Did you have a medium polish/swirl remover in mind?

Don't forget to get some clean dedicated low nap towels for removing the essence and leveling the coating. You don't want to use the same towels you use on the swirl remover.

The carpro orange ones are what I use or the rag company edge-less pearl. Any rag company towel between 300 and 350 gsm is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Yeah that would be perfect to use the abrasive essence after the swirl remover/medium polish. That's the right way to do it. Did you have a medium polish/swirl remover in mind?

Don't forget to get some clean dedicated low nap towels for removing the essence and leveling the coating. You don't want to use the same towels you use on the swirl remover.

The carpro orange ones are what I use or the rag company edge-less pearl. Any rag company towel between 300 and 350 gsm is perfect.
    The swirl remover would be one of the PBMG offerings. I have lots of edgeleds polish removal 350-ish gsm towels I have accumulated from Autogeek, not sure what brand. I’ll definitely make sure to only use a certain color of these as dedicated Essence-removal towels.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it once on some black piano pillar trim and it did absolutely nothing correcting wise, so put it back on the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    I tried it once on some black piano pillar trim and it did absolutely nothing correcting wise, so put it back on the shelf.
    With what pad and Essence did you use? And what worked on the black piano pillar trim?

And remember when preping for a coating it's Essence you use. Essence Plus is like an AIO on coatings when they have degraded some. If you use Essence Plus and then going to be applying a coating you get problems. As it would have problems to bond evenly. Essence goes under a coating and Essence Plus goes over a coating.

9. Likes Aaryn NZ, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    With what pad and Essence did you use? And what worked on the black piano pillar trim?

And remember when preping for a coating it's Essence you use. Essence Plus is like an AIO on coatings when they have degraded some. If you use Essence Plus and then going to be applying a coating you get problems. As it would have problems to bond evenly. Essence goes under a coating and Essence Plus goes over a coating.
    Yep, it was Essence. I tried it on both the orange and yellow BOSS pads, absolutely no correction at all. I ended up using BOSS correcting cream on orange then finishing cream on yellow and then coated.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it was Essence. I tried it on both the orange and yellow BOSS pads, absolutely no correction at all. I ended up using BOSS correcting cream on orange then finishing cream on yellow and then coated.
    Strange as it's like the abrasives in Carpro Reflect but less amount of them. And in my experience Reflect on a coarse pad is like the cut from the Sonax EX04-06 or Sonax Perfect Finish on the same pads. So wondering if something has gone wrong with your bottle of Essence. If you used Essence Plus I would get it.

Have it seen any extreme temperatures and is the expirering date sticker still on the bottom of the bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

The CarPro catalog gives Essence a cut of 2 compared to Reflect which is a 3, Fixer at 6 (which is probably where correcting cream is at in terms of cut) and Clear Cut at a 10. The scale is 1-10. I could see why it did not do much if the areas had somewhat deeper defects.

I personally am not a fan of using Essence with a microfiber cutting pad as it just works better as a final finishing step prior to a coating.

14. Likes Rsurfer, Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast