autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did I NOT apply this coating correctly? Images inside..

McKee's is the easiest coating to apply on the market. I do half a panel at a time and it works perfectly. Very forgiving on wiping time too. So I doubt that the issue came from the installation step. Unless you wiped with so much pressure that you removed it completelly, if that is even possible. Not sure how McKee's coating binds to the paint but for other coatings it starts to cure on contact, so it only takes a few seconds to create the bond. The SiO2 layer is supposed to be about 1 to 2 microns thick... that is increadibly thin.... 100th the thickness of the actual paint... so I really doubt you can wipe it all off without using solvents. I might be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'm thinking I mixed up the n914 in correctly....

Actually I think it's correct. I was thinking I used too much. But when mixing a whole gallon of paint prep, I used almost the whole bottle.

Nevermind lol. Im not sure what's going on. Maybe I was using too much polish, and the film left on the paint was too much and I'm not actually removing all of the polish film/residue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    So as you guys know I applied a coating last weekend, and today was the first day of rain. I had some holograms so I polished them out on the passenger door, I didnt apply any coating to that door yet. Fast forward today, I went to check the water behavor on the other panels and it looks like the coating is failing/contaminated on the hood and the drivers side door (has the coating on it, untouched) and the door thats been polished off look the same... Any idea on WHATS going on?

This weekend Im going to do the whole truck again but unsure if I should apply the coating again.

My process was to wash, clay and polish. I did NOT chemical decon as I thought I was out of IronX but I just found a bottle today. After polishing I used eraser twice and n-914 once around the vehicle. The panels HAD to be clean...

Maybe I did use enough product? Maybe I wiped it too hard? Maybe I didnt spread it long enough? Do I need to wait longer before removing it?

Any suggestions on this next go around? I have Prep-sol by Dupont butI try to stay with the manufacture's recommendations when using a coating...

Thanks.

Edited: IM going to use a One-step polish... Should I continue to use the LC Flat white pads? I know that pad doesnt have much bite at all, but I think IF I go up to a orange, I'll get some pad induced marring... no?
    Didn't see picture but are you using contaimenated (with polish or wax) towels on the wipe down? Just washing the towels is not enough u need dedicated towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm not the case... I dont know whats going on. Im just going to redo it with BOSS correcting cream I guess wipe again with eraser a few times and then N914 and then coat it again... Maybe go heavier on the coating?
    Stick with one product on wipedown (eraser). I know how it is with a new car but no need to reinvent the wheel here.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you apply the coating on the passenger door and then removed it with polish on a polisher?

Wipe of the passenger door and inspect in a lighting that you see the holograms you removed. Why I ask is cause a newly applyied coating that has cured is not an easy to remove. Just so the polish have not masked the holograms or you have not checked if they are still there.

On what car did you apply the coating on and how much coating in the bottle did you use?
    So others can chaim in on how much of McKees coating they use on a car.

Another thing is also even if you can get it wet after 24h. You would not be touching it in any way for at least a weak so you are safe. The coating cure during a longer time than 24h and the top layer is sensitive during this time as it cures to get even more hydrophobic surface. If you start to touch the paint with products you could make the hydrophobic caractics less than you would have gotten if letting it be. It's just a heads up not that I accuse you for have done it. And also a new paint and polished paint can also be beading and sheeting more than an older paint and also different paints is also a factor in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have towels that I use for wax removal that I also use for polish removal. Looks like I'll be dedicating some new MFs to polish only...

I did not get the coating wet for over a week. Nick says you only need 24 hrs and you'll be good...

The polish can't be that hard to come off. I would assume a 6 or 8 passes on a DA using something like Sonax 04-06 or the like should remove the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have towels that I use for wax removal that I also use for polish removal. Looks like I'll be dedicating some new MFs to polish only...

I did not get the coating wet for over a week. Nick says you only need 24 hrs and you'll be good...

The polish can't be that hard to come off. I would assume a 6 or 8 passes on a DA using something like Sonax 04-06 or the like should remove the coating.
    You will have to try. If it did not bind correctly, it should be easier to remove.

I have had to remove a coating on customer's car once, (McKee's) and I had to wetsand it off. Everyone here says a polish is enough... so you will have to try and see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    You will have to try. If it did not bind correctly, it should be easier to remove.

I have had to remove a coating on customer's car once, (McKee's) and I had to wetsand it off. Everyone here says a polish is enough... so you will have to try and see.
    That seems extreme lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Water behavior depends on the type of coating. Some sheet water super fast, others bead like crazy. Regardless, you should see a big difference between the coated and uncoated panel. You should also see a difference in the color of the paint, coatings make the paint a little darker and shinier.
    What coating sheets water super fast. Tried many coating and haven't found one that doesn't bead but sheets only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    What coating sheets water super fast. Tried many coating and haven't found one that doesn't bead and but sheets only.
    You can see it mostly on vertical panels. When you spray put a jet on water on a coated door or fender, often it seems like there is a forcefield pushing the water away. On horizontal surfaces, you get more beading simply because the shape and angle of the panel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast