autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Heading over to the warehouse tomorrow. Need suggestion for one-step to pickup

Hey guys,

I'm going to head to the autogeek warehouse tomorrow to pick up a couple things. While I'm there, I want to also pick up a one step polish. I want something that'll do general polishing without any protectants because I will be following it with a ceramic coating.

I have McGee's 37 360 wax, but that is a AIO and leaves a wax on. I need something that won't leave anything behind...

I also have the jeweling wax (which is too fine and also leaves protectant), fast polish (could be used as the one step I guess), and the correcting compound which is too much as one step lol.

I'll be using my Flex 3401 with Lake Country Force Orange Cutting pads (6.5)

This will be for a BMW X5, Chevy Malibu and a Corvette (so you know the hardness of clear)

Leave some suggestions for me, so I can grab it tomorrow!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11B250 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm going to head to the autogeek warehouse tomorrow to pick up a couple things. While I'm there, I want to also pick up a one step polish. I want something that'll do general polishing without any protectants because I will be following it with a ceramic coating.

I have McGee's 37 360 wax, but that is a AIO and leaves a wax on. I need something that won't leave anything behind...

I also have the jeweling wax (which is too fine and also leaves protectant), fast polish (could be used as the one step I guess), and the correcting compound which is too much as one step lol.

I'll be using my Flex 3401 with Lake Country Force Orange Cutting pads (6.5)

Leave some suggestions for me, so I can grab it tomorrow!
    I hear Griots fast correcting cream has a long working time and leaves nothing behind.. Correcting cream is good also. Just depends how aggressive you want to be. Just use a paint prep behind it just incase there has any residue of oils, which is always good practice.
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heading over to the warehouse tomorrow. Need suggestion for one-step to pickup

Quote Originally Posted by SCABHUNTER View Post
    I hear Griots fast correcting cream has a long working time and leaves nothing behind.. Correcting cream is good also. Just depends how aggressive you want to be. Just use a paint prep behind it just incase there has any residue of oils, which is always good practice.
    Good luck.
    yeah, I figured I wipe the car down with 70-30 alcohol when I'm done before putting on coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11B250 View Post
    yeah, I figured I wipe the car down with 70-30 alcohol when I'm done before putting on coating.
    IMO..I would use a paint prep from the coating company so you won’t have a traffic jam and have spots that will bleed through. After all that time and effort you don’t want any draw backs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heading over to the warehouse tomorrow. Need suggestion for one-step to pickup

Quote Originally Posted by SCABHUNTER View Post
    IMO..I would use a paint prep from the coating company so you won’t have a traffic jam and have spots that will bleed through. After all that time and effort you don’t want any draw backs.
    Their website says -

An Isopropyl Alcohol based solution to remove any existing residues or surface contaminants left behind during the polishing process. This product is to be used before applying a coating.

Special lubricated formula infused with 30% IPA concentration

It's tough to pay 12 dollars for that. lol

Post Thanks / Like

My go to products for “1 steps” are Hyper Polish, Sonax 4-6 and Essence.

7. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    That’s fine.. the important thing here is to find the polish you have experience in, know it, breathe it & live it.
    I used Meguiars 205 on a 1991 Toyota Camery the other day. I wasn’t looking for perfection. I just wanted to improve the paint and remove the oxidation, some random scratches & swirls.. Was there scratches & swirls still there?..”Yes”. I think it’s more important that the clear coat stayed intact and not blow through it. Even if it has no UVA, UVB protection. It’s still protecting the paint. I followed up with a paint solvent. I then rinsed off the minor dust that was left behind with fresh water & dried the car with a clean plush MF towel.. I then let it stand for a 10 minutes & let the sun do the rest, then sprayed a heavy coat of bead maker... the next morning it didn’t look as shiny as I expected. I then cleaned it again, this time with ONR and used more bead maker; using it as a drying aid & “BAMMmm”. The car looks like a brand new used shiny car.. now it has more UV protection than it already had.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    When you one step with essence, what pads you use? Would any that I have would you recommend? Griots boss yellow pads LC CCS orange and green. B&S MF finishing pads.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well by definition a "1-step" leaves something behind besides polishing. Otherwise it's just a regular polish

Post Thanks / Like

I see you mentioned that you have the correcting compound. Is it the McKeees 37 compound? It used to be called Fast Compound but has been relabeled as FC-717 Swirl Remover, basically the same cut and finish just has a different scent. If you do indeed have the McKee's 37 compound, then that should be able to finish down to your liking. If that is not the compound you are referring to, my recommendation would be either 3D One or the Griot's Fast Correcting Cream/Correcting Cream as mentioned above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast