autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie - Advice needed

I joined the forum and purchased a new car today and would like to keep it clean and shiny. I have
    always used Meguiar products for interior detail and Mother’s Spray Wax for quick
    exterior detail. Honestly, I’ve taken my cars to automated drive thru car washes mainly. I’d like
    to get into washing and detailing my new car from the start. I would appreciate any
    recommendations for products for my car. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie - Advice needed

Welcome to AGO!

First, and most importantly..... NEVER go the auto "swirl-o-matic" car wash.

Secondly, you will get a TON of opinions about products, processes, etc.

What are you looking to do exactly?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.
    My car has Teflex treatment from the dealer.
    Not worried about that or expecting it to be great.

I’m looking for a good wash product, paint protector, detail product in between washes, wheel and tire cleaner/shiner and leather protector for interior as well as a matte finish retailer (no gloss). Glass cleaner would be great too.

Advice on cleaning supplies is appreciated also (polish pads, towels, etc). Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Again, you will get a ton of opinions.

My opinion is to do a lot of reading here on AGO, and on the AG store.

Me? I would look into Griot's. I have, and use a ton of their products, and they are all top notch. McKee's is another line that is outstanding.

Start with those. IMO.

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can’t go wrong with anything from Meguiars or Mothers. They are products that work exactly as advertised and produce excellent results. The Ultimate line is really good.
    So...what kind of car did you get?
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AudiFlyGuy View Post

I’m looking for a good wash product, paint protector, detail product in between washes, wheel and tire cleaner/shiner and leather protector for interior as well as a matte finish retailer (no gloss). Glass cleaner would be great too.

Advice on cleaning supplies is appreciated also (polish pads, towels, etc). Thanks!
    My rough list

Optimum Car wash and CarpRO Reset for shampoo.
    Optimum ONR for rinseless
    Sonax Polymer Netsheild,Collinite845, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint sealant, Optimum Gloss Coat(13CC left than no more) and CarPro CQuartzUK for paint protection.

Meguiars D143, Zep505 and soon 303 tire and rubber for wheels and tire. Still working off Turtle Wax Black Endure shine for tire coating.
    Optimum Protectant Plus for interior everything(leather and vinyl). It has a low sheen, if any
    Stoners invisible glass for glass.

Meguiars all purpose cleaner D101 and Blackfire APC.

The RagCo towels mainly with some Autogeek Cobra purple and yellows.
    And my all time favorite is the Costco Kirland yellows. What a deal,36,16x16 for $16. I beat the snot out of these, mop up the garage floor when too dirty and toss em.

Like Paul said read and re-read.
    You tube videos generally suck as do Amazon reviews.
    Ask questions to save money and cut to the chase.

All the members reviews are invaluable.
    Mike Phillips is a given for the "word"

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    You tube videos generally suck as do Amazon reviews.
    Ask questions to save money and cut to the chase.

All the members reviews are invaluable.
    Mike Phillips is a given for the "word"
    This, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Tip : The biggest enemy of detailing is swirl marks. Avoiding them requires extra attention and additional details when washing.

The two-bucket method would be a good place to start (2x 5 gallon pails, each with a grit guard at the bottom). One is used to rinse your wash mitt (rub it against the grit guard to release dirt). The dirt should fall at the bottom of the rinse bucket and most of it should stay the bottom because of grit guard. From there, ring most of water out and bring your mitt into the wash bucket in order to get some suds.

Wash from top to bottom, rinsing your mitt through the 2 buckets every few panels (depending on how dirty car is). Thorougly wash your mitts after each wash (I do a full load of microfiber stuff in the washing machine after every wash).

Wash the vehicle in straight lines (no circular motions). Straight lines micro-scratches are hard to see as the scratch only catches light from specific angles - circular swirls can be spotted from every angle.

Do not skimp on auto shampoo.

Dry with a clean microfiber drying towel. Try to blot instead of dragging the towels across the paint with pressure. The Rag Company for microfibers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
    Tip : The biggest enemy of detailing is swirl marks. Avoiding them requires extra attention and additional details when washing.

The two-bucket method would be a good place to start (2x 5 gallon pails, each with a grit guard at the bottom). One is used to rinse your wash mitt (rub it against the grit guard to release dirt). The dirt should fall at the bottom of the rinse bucket and most of it should stay the bottom because of grit guard. From there, ring most of water out and bring your mitt into the wash bucket in order to get some suds.

Wash from top to bottom, rinsing your mitt through the 2 buckets every few panels (depending on how dirty car is). Thorougly wash your mitts after each wash (I do a full load of microfiber stuff in the washing machine after every wash).

Wash the vehicle in straight lines (no circular motions). Straight lines micro-scratches are hard to see as the scratch only catches light from specific angles - circular swirls can be spotted from every angle.

Do not skimp on auto shampoo.

Dry with a clean microfiber drying towel. Try to blot instead of dragging the towels across the paint with pressure. The Rag Company for microfibers!
    While I agree on swirls being the enemy, I much prefer the "One bucket, many mitts/towels" method.

No dirty mitt/towel ever goes back into the wash medium.

As far as drying, Nothing........And I mean NOTHING beats the Griot's PFM towels. Just glide it over a wet surface to be amazed. I was, and continue to be.......

12. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie - Advice needed

Many mitts is the way to go. I’m a foam gun/many mitt guy and I’ve enjoyed being marring free for years.
    Those PFM towels are indeed the ultimate!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast