autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

In dire need of help: Cannot remove holograms after polishing. Recommend me new polishes

So all in all Im not doing anything different than Ive done in past years. With that being said: why am I getting holograms and what looks to be marring/swirling? This is what Im wondering

1. could my LC flat pads be bad, they've been used a lot.
    2. could they have dirt embedded in them? I clean them well after use
    3. Could my polish be old/issue with it?
    4. Ive tried to go slower, faster, more pressure, less pressure etc, and nothing.

I think Im going to buy new pads, and polish. I use SSR1 and SSR2 for years without issues, but starting to think there is an issue somewhere. Im using a PC DA and I also have SONAX EX 04-06

Suggestions on how to fix this truck/remove those holograms and marring/swirls?

Can you guys recommend an EASY to use polish that breaks down fast/I dont have to work forever. Is there something I can use/work in the sun so I can check for marring/holograms without moving the truck each to to inspect.

Also should I go with LC flat pads again too?

Mike Phillips

Re: In dire need of help: Cannot remove holograms after polishing. Recommend me new polishes

Just to chime in....

Not so much for you but for everyone that will read this thread into the future.....

The word HOLOGRAM is specific to the scratch pattern inflicted into car paint (or other surfaces), via a rotary buffer.

Orbital polishers to not put holograms into car paint. Orbital polishers can leave micro-marring which will show up in a pattern that mimics the direction you moved the polisher over the paint but these trails or patterns and this type of scratch patter is not holograms.

Here's my article on this topic,

The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer

Here's want holograms look like

Mike Phillips

Re: In dire need of help: Cannot remove holograms after polishing. Recommend me new polishes

More...

Here's want extreme micro-marring looks like (from bad abrasive technology)

Micro-Marring - Tick-Marks - DA-Haze

These three terms are pretty much the accepted terms for a scratch pattern left in some paints from the oscillating and rotating action from a compound or polish and a buffing pad when applied using a DA Polisher.

Unlike Cobweb swirls or Rotary Buffer Swirls, the scratch pattern instilled by a dual action polisher is made up of millions of tiny scratches, some are curved or circular but some are straight, like a small tick mark you would make with a pencil if you were keeping track of a count of some type.

Tick Marks are a sign that either the paint is on the soft side, so easily scratched or the pad and compound or polish you're using are too aggressive to finish out without leaving a mark.

In most cases Tick Marks can be removed by re-polishing with a different pad and product combination.

More on this in my article here,

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls, Micro-Marring, DA Haze & Tick Marks

Mike Phillips

If you're using any brand of orbital polisher then what you are seeing is micro-marring.

If its the pads, and the paint is soft and assuming you're using quality compounds, polishes and/or AIOs, then it could be

Pad Haze

Pad haze is like micro-marring only caused by the pad. The appearance will be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If you're using any brand of orbital polisher then what you are seeing is micro-marring.

If its the pads, and the paint is soft and assuming you're using quality compounds, polishes and/or AIOs, then it could be

Pad Haze

Pad haze is like micro-marring only caused by the pad. The appearance will be the same.

Thanks! Im using a PC 7424XP with LC flat pads. Im using Poorboys SSR1 and Sonax Perfect Finish ( I think ) I know its sonax though.... Ive tried both. it definitely looks like holograms. Maybe its just the DA micro-marring as you're saying... It has to be since thats what Im using, a DA...

Im wondering if my polisher is bad/broken? Not oscillating right?

What

Post Thanks / Like

What color LC pads are you using to finish out? And then specifically what polish?

Post Thanks / Like

I used white LC flat 5.5" pads and used SSR1 from Poorboys. Ive used this combos for many times and never had an issue.... Maybe I should go back, slow down and use the SONAX EX 04-06 ? On a white or black/blue flat 5.5"? Or would the white be needed to get the marring out..

ALSO what should I use to clean the panel for inspection? I noticed that Im getting some smearing/ghosting from the polish. which makes me think that Im using too much polish maybe or not working it long enough to use it up/burn it out....

Post Thanks / Like

You’ve worked on this same paint before with no issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

What are you working on?

Maybe it has soft paint?

Yo are in the Test Spot phase correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Lol confusion here. I've worked on this paint before, it's my personal vehicle. I'm not sure what changed. I'm thinking maybe there is an issue with the polisher. What, I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's not oscillating correctly possibly.

I bought a GG6 today, and I'll see how that works. I'm going to use LC flat white pads and the sonax 04-06.

I think maybe I'm also using too much product

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast