autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Most durable ceramic coating?

What is the longest lasting/most durable DIY ceramic coating? My wife will likely be getting a new DD soon and I'd like to put a coating on that will last the longest (including through northeast winters) with the lowest maintenance. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
    "Our cars are meant to be driven, not polished." – Ferry Porsche

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most durable ceramic coating?

Longest lasting and lowest maintenance probably don't go together. No matter how good the coating is if you don't keep up with it, it will appear to have failed. Especially after a tough winter, things will start bonding to the coating and you won't see the usual beading. Frequent washing a a good decontamination once or twice a year will help you get the 2 year life most coatings promise.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I'll finally be getting mine coated in a couple weeks (McKee's 37 Paint Coating V2). I'm going to do the opposite and NOT do toppers throughout the year because I want to see how the coating will truly last. My plan of attack will be to coat it, then wash regularly using Meg's GC soap with the occasional touchless wash here and there. Then come Fall, do a light polish and recoat in preparation for winter. Basically, dedicate two days out of the year (Spring and Fall) to make sure a solid layer of coating is on it.

Edit: The last part of my post is what I'm referring for you OP. Most the consumer grade coatings say they last two years, but if I only get one and recoating twice a year is what it takes, then that's more than fine with me.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll never know for sure how durability will really turn out until you actually try it in your climate and your situation. Some things can be estimated by finding others experiences in similar conditions and usage but that's still just an educated guess.

We have 3 cars with considerably different usage patterns; all protected and maintained with same set of products/coatings:

1. Car 1 will likely get to 3 years (if not longer) before needing to be completely redone.
    2. Car 2 will likely never need to be redone.
    3. Car 3 will get to 2 years at the most before needing to be redone.

1. Car 1 is about 5500 miles a year, no freeway, sits outside from April thru November but only really driven daily November thru April, short trips, no freeway.
    2. Car 2 is daily driver in nice weather, April thru November, usually no-rain days only, always garaged, 5500 miles a year, rarely freeway.
    3. Car 3 is year round daily driver, generally always garaged, 25k miles a year, 95% freeway.

All are in NE Ohio.

Same protection, varying usage far different likely outcomes. Freeway use, especially during winter, is very, very hard on a vehicles finish.

Having seen a lot of faded cars last time I was in Arizona, I'm guessing they have a whole different kind of nightmare to deal with, entire different set of circumstances to cope with. Florida apparently has acid-filled Love Bugs that can etch paint if left for too long...another nightmare entirely.

Point being, no claims listed on a box can even begin to adequately predict longevity. It's the ultimate YMMV scenario.

I have got a pretty good idea of what works well in my environment, both on well maintained and not-so-well maintained fleet vehicles. I've got some fleet vehicles that are still doing well after application in 03/2017 and some that didn't make it thru 6 months of fleet use. There are things out there that will meet, and in some cases likely far exceed, your expectations...ya just gotta find what works best for you in your environment.

5. Thanks creaky, 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes Diner, The Guz, limited0602, 392hemi, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    You'll never know for sure how durability will really turn out until you actually try it in your climate and your situation. Some things can be estimated by finding others experiences in similar conditions and usage but that's still just an educated guess.

We have 3 cars with considerably different usage patterns; all protected and maintained with same set of products/coatings:

1. Car 1 will likely get to 3 years (if not longer) before needing to be completely redone.
    2. Car 2 will likely never need to be redone.
    3. Car 3 will get to 2 years at the most before needing to be redone.

1. Car 1 is about 5500 miles a year, no freeway, sits outside from April thru November but only really driven daily November thru April, short trips, no freeway.
    2. Car 2 is daily driver in nice weather, April thru November, usually no-rain days only, always garaged, 5500 miles a year, rarely freeway.
    3. Car 3 is year round daily driver, generally always garaged, 25k miles a year, 95% freeway.

All are in NE Ohio.

Same protection, varying usage far different likely outcomes. Freeway use, especially during winter, is very, very hard on a vehicles finish.

Having seen a lot of faded cars last time I was in Arizona, I'm guessing they have a whole different kind of nightmare to deal with, entire different set of circumstances to cope with. Florida apparently has acid-filled Love Bugs that can etch paint if left for too long...another nightmare entirely.

Point being, no claims listed on a box can even begin to adequately predict longevity. It's the ultimate YMMV scenario.

I have got a pretty good idea of what works well in my environment, both on well maintained and not-so-well maintained fleet vehicles. I've got some fleet vehicles that are still doing well after application in 03/2017 and some that didn't make it thru 6 months of fleet use. There are things out there that will meet, and in some cases likely far exceed, your expectations...ya just gotta find what works best for you in your environment.

100 percent. My car will never see APC, Ironx, BIC lighters and other chemicals on a daily basis. It will see grime, salt, rain, bugs, construction dirt.

7. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by limited0602 View Post
    I'll finally be getting mine coated in a couple weeks (McKee's 37 Paint Coating V2). I'm going to do the opposite and NOT do toppers throughout the year because I want to see how the coating will truly last. My plan of attack will be to coat it, then wash regularly using Meg's GC soap with the occasional touchless wash here and there. Then come Fall, do a light polish and recoat in preparation for winter. Basically, dedicate two days out of the year (Spring and Fall) to make sure a solid layer of coating is on it.

Edit: The last part of my post is what I'm referring for you OP. Most the consumer grade coatings say they last two years, but if I only get one and recoating twice a year is what it takes, then that's more than fine with me.
    If I may. Don’t use Gold Class to maintain the McKee’s coating. It won’t give you the “full effect/water show” that a soap without any gloss enhancers will. Maybe try Hyperwash, Reset or even McKee’s Si02 soap and keep it synergystic.

9. Thanks limited0602 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    If I may. Don’t use Gold Class to maintain the McKee’s coating. It won’t give you the “full effect/water show” that a soap without any gloss enhancers will. Maybe try Hyperwash, Reset or even McKee’s Si02 soap and keep it synergystic.
    Thank you for that! I do have a half bottle of McKee's Si02 soap left from the coating kit I bought last year (didn't have time to coat my car and the coating was bad when I finally had time) and the soap is honestly great stuff! My car did seem to have a touch more glow to it and you could wash it in direct sunlight without any real streaks.

I already purchased the Gold Class because I work at 3M and get a discount on several Meguiars products, but sadly Hyperwash isn't one of them. Between my car and my wife's, I'll get through the GC in a hurry and pick up the McKee's Si02 wash because Nick has been great to deal with. Again, thanks!

Edit: I did purchase McKee's Hydro Blue Si02 (using on wheels) and the Coating Prep Polish during the 25%/free shipping deal a few days ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Fly,

Can you elaborate on this point? Right now, I use Hyperwash, but use Aquawax as a drying aid. Are you saying I shouldn't, because it's not allowing the "full effect/water show"?

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree with this. I have seen Gold Class mask the hydrophobic properties of not just a coating but also a sealant due to the gloss enhancers. Hyperwash is a better buy. McKee's SiO2 is also nice and the thing about this one is it is sun friendly.

13. Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I have tried 2 or 3 different ceramic coatings all which never last through our winters due to all the junk they put on the roads. I have done, cquartz UK, cquartz UK 3.0, Geyon Pure.

This spring im going to try Gtechniq, 1 layer of Crystal Serum Light + 2x layers of EXOv4. They are calling for a few years of durability but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    What is the longest lasting/most durable DIY ceramic coating? My wife will likely be getting a new DD soon and I'd like to put a coating on that will last the longest (including through northeast winters) with the lowest maintenance. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

15. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast