autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

What's going on with my paint?

Finally have some decent weather and want to get my new truck's paint protected. I washed with 2 bucket method, used a second mitt for the rockers and fender wells because they were muddy/dirty from gravel roads and snow. After washing I used Iron-x, and did a good rinse in preparation for clay. While claying, I discovered this spot on my driver door. Best way to describe it: The dull spot feels rough to the touch. I clayed it to see if maybe it was something from the road, and noticed no change. I wiped the truck down with Eraser just to see if that did anything and with the intention of applying sealant, but nothing changed. So I stopped.

Where do I go from here? The truck was purchased in January. It had some body work done on the rear quarter panel, and passenger door where a couple scratches and paint imperfections were removed by the dealer. Nothing near this spot so I don't think it's overspray, but what route should I go? Contact the dealer? Try compound? Looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's going on with my paint?

In my opinion you could try compound it out.
    If it dont come out i think its some kind of paint defect.
    maybe they tried to blend in the paint and just not a good job.
    Just my opinion, little hard to tell from pics

Post Thanks / Like

Very hard to tell from a picture but the area where the spot is often have abrasions from dust, dirt and rocks thrown by the tires. Your tire seems to have a very agressive thread and are probably gonna throw a lot of debris along the bodyline. Do you go off-road at all with the vehicle?

Also, is the spot directly under the mirror? If so, it might be something that dripped from the mirror. Do you use any type of solvent based dressing on it maybe? If so, try to use a degreaser on the spot and see it it removes it. You will have to re-apply a sealant or wax afterwards cause the degreaser will either degrade or remove what ever protective product you have on now.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been on some gravel roads, but this isn't consistent with that. The passenger side has had much more abuse because of a couple ruts and it's clean. It's a large area that has the same texture and finish. The largest spot is below the mirror but there are a couple other spots on the door. The tires haven't had anything put on them since I bought the truck (they were just replaced prior to buying this truck and I wanted to keep them, so I did).

Right now, there is nothing on the paint. I think I'm going to keep it that way until I take it down to the dealer because after taking another look, and looking the truck over really well I found a couple other small spots in different locations that look and feel similar. I'm leaning towards paint defects. If that's in fact the case, the dealer can take care of it under warranty. I paid too much for it to not be right.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like clear coat failed. As mentioned above, perhaps an overshoot to blend.

If it’s fairly new, take it back to the dealership..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So I have a nice cloudless day, and the sun is high. Before I called the dealer I decided to take a closer look. I ran my fingers over it, and it felt raised a bit from the rest of the door panel. Ok. Then I looked closer, and could see rotary swirls. I took a dab of compound on an orange ccs sponge, and wiped a small spot by hand, then cleaned off the residue. Stuff gone. Paint underneath looks as good as the rest. It's polish or something from a little body work that was done when I purchased. Their "detailer" did a crappy job cleaning up his work. The winter weather has been horrible and this is the first time I've really been able to do a complete wash and go over the entire truck since I bought it. Crisis averted.

It came out quite well with a little compound on applicator. There were spots all over the truck that needed it. I got 90% of it and that will have to do. I finally managed to get a quick coat of McKees HiDef on it so at least the paint is protected with something until I have the time to give it a good polish with the PC. I'd imagine what little is left will come off quite easily with polish and the machine action.

8. Likes bryanviper, SWETM, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it taken care of!! Good work!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    It came out quite well with a little compound on applicator.
    When you say compound, are you using a polishing compound or a rubbing compound? The reason I ask is that I have some relatively deep scratches in my wife's paint and I was planning on hand polishing them with Turtle Wax T-415 Premium Grade Rubbing Compound. I'm wondering if this is too abrasive?

Please let me know if you used a polishing or rubbing compound, and, if you think the rubbing compound mentioned above is too abrasive to use directly on paint (clear coat).

Thank you in advance,
    F

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome to hear, PP. I was hoping it was something that could be removed with relative ease. I am surprised claying didn't put at least a dent in it.

Now you have that new truck sorted out shine wise. Now...go drivin'!