autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to get paint off of trim, bumpers and emblems?

I bought an 1964 Galaxie 500 XL. It's an original Black car and the po wanted the whole car blacked out. So he had someone spray everything matte black. Every piece of trim, the grill, the bumpers and all the emblems. It doesn't look like they sanded anything because some pieces I can scrape off with a fingernail. Some pieces seem like they are on there good and need some help.

What is suggested to get this cheesy paint off the chrome, aluminum and stainless?

Any suggestions for some of the emblems that originally had paint under them?

Also a few emblems I believe had a resin over them and don't want to break that down if possible. These old emblems are hard to find and pricey.

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get paint off of trim, bumpers and emblems?

No Love?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bad500 View Post
    No Love?
    It's because we are Mopar folks around here. Just kidding. Welcome to autogeek. I'm sure someone who is well versed in this will respond. Unfortunately not all of us have dealt with this type of issue.

There is a wealth of knowledge on the forums and members, I'm sure someone will guide you in the right direction.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    It's because we are Mopar folks around here. Just kidding. Welcome to autogeek. I'm sure someone who is well versed in this will respond. Unfortunately not all of us have dealt with this type of issue.

There is a wealth of knowledge on the forums and members, I'm sure someone will guide you in the right direction.
    HaHa! We are a Big Three Family. I'm building a 67 Nova drag car, this 64 Galaxie is going to be my daily driver (4speed w/Big Block) and we are looking for a 68/69 Road Runner project for my 14 year old son's first car.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thinkin' out loud...what I remember, back then all the emblems and what not were not taped down, They had little pins on the back side that just 'popped on' the body. If you are VERY careful ya might be able to remove 'em and de-paint.

Curious...what power plant is in that puppy?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

What is suggested to get this cheesy paint off the chrome, aluminum and stainless?

Any suggestions for some of the emblems that originally had paint under them?

Also a few emblems I believe had a resin over them and don't want to break that down if possible. These old emblems are hard to find and pricey.

Thanks!
    on the chrome, aluminum, and stainless, id suggest- with the parts off the car- paint stripper. aircraft paint remover has worked good for me. just dont use anything abrasive like steel wool to work the stripper around. non metal bristle brushes are ok. on parts that the paint if peeling, ya might want to take a pressure washer to them and get as much as possible off first.
    the emblems- i suggest first smackin the person that painted them, then im thinkin acetone- for the emblems, not the painter. soft brushes(tooth brushes) and patience.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Just thinkin' out loud...what I remember, back then all the emblems and what not were not taped down, They had little pins on the back side that just 'popped on' the body. If you are VERY careful ya might be able to remove 'em and de-paint.

Curious...what power plant is in that puppy?

Bill
    It’s a original black on black 390 FE Big Block with a Toploader 4-speed.

8. Thanks BillE thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    on the chrome, aluminum, and stainless, id suggest- with the parts off the car- paint stripper. aircraft paint remover has worked good for me. just dont use anything abrasive like steel wool to work the stripper around. non metal bristle brushes are ok. on parts that the paint if peeling, ya might want to take a pressure washer to them and get as much as possible off first.
    the emblems- i suggest first smackin the person that painted them, then im thinkin acetone- for the emblems, not the painter. soft brushes(tooth brushes) and patience.
    Ya I can’t believe someone would paint over all the trim. That’s what really makes these cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I can’t believe someone would paint over all the trim. That’s what really makes these cars.
    most definately.those galaxies wouldnt look the same without the chrome running front to back down the middle of both sides.