autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

buying a new F350

I am purchasing a new F350 here in about a month or so. I want to know what i need to do to the paint since it will be brand new. I got a local quote of 2000$ to correct paint and apply ceramic coating. Are either of these things I can do myself? I have buffed a few things im not profficient at it but i dont mind learning new things. I have a griots DA buffer, what all would i need to buy? Please go easy on me i am a rookie, but we all started somewhere.

Thanks,
    John

2. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: buying a new F350

The best thing you can do your self is decon and remove as many swirls as possible . If he’s s reputable paint correctionist he will inspect your paint and if you did a good job he should only
    Charge you for 1-2 polishing stages + ceramic coating . Keep in mind this process will take you a long time st least 6-12 hours in my opinion. This is most likely why the price is so high due to size of vehicle. If he’s reputable talk to his other clients and see their experience. I’m sure they will assure you whether or not to use him. If he is I would recommend letting him do it and learning tips and tricks from him while he performs it and attempt your next vehicle your self

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes minerigger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    The best thing you can do your self is decon and remove as many swirls as possible . If he’s s reputable paint correctionist he will inspect your paint and if you did a good job he should only
    Charge you for 1-2 polishing stages + ceramic coating . Keep in mind this process will take you a long time st least 6-12 hours in my opinion. This is most likely why the price is so high due to size of vehicle. If he’s reputable talk to his other clients and see their experience. I’m sure they will assure you whether or not to use him. If he is I would recommend letting him do it and learning tips and tricks from him while he performs it and attempt your next vehicle your self

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

definitely a reputable guy, im not doing his work or saying his too expensive. I am a DIY guy so if its something I can do myself I will(I rebuild my own transmissions etc). How much correction does brand new vehicles usually need?

Post Thanks / Like

What is going to be your washing regimen or maintenance after you polish and coat it ?

If you are going to use a car wash I probably wouldn’t coat it. If you are going to gently wash it yourself weekly a coating might work out ok

Just depends what the paint looks like to YOU. It’s a big truck probably going to be used for towing and working. Nothing wrong with trying to keep it nice but some people’s ideas here are show car finish all the time and it’s not always practical due to life

Could just hit it initially with like Blackfire one step then a sealant or wax every few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggest taking one or 2 of The Autogeek classes from Mike P if you have not done so already. You will then be set to take care of that F350.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    I suggest taking one or 2 of The Autogeek classes from Mike P if you have not done so already. You will then be set to take care of that F350.

I agree! Put the 2000 dollars into yourself then someone else. Yes you will need to buy tools but if you are interested in doing your own detailing I suggest taking the class. If you don't care to then have a shop do the work.

But also mentioned, how you are going to wash the truck tells the whole story. If your dedicated to hand wash your truck then ceramic coating is ok. If going to any car wash then your wasting your money. A tunnel wash will just scratch the paint to death. Touchless car wash uses high PH level soaps to dissolve dirt. At same time they eat at waxes and coatings.

Andre

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorGT View Post
    I agree! Put the 2000 dollars into yourself then someone else. Yes you will need to buy tools but if you are interested in doing your own detailing I suggest taking the class. If you don't care to then have a shop do the work.

But also mentioned, how you are going to wash the truck tells the whole story. If your dedicated to hand wash your truck then ceramic coating is ok. If going to any car wash then your wasting your money. A tunnel wash will just scratch the paint to death. Touchless car wash uses high PH level soaps to dissolve dirt. At same time they eat at waxes and coatings.

Andre

I don’t use the car wash ever!! All my vehicles are are hand washed. The only thing I ever use the car wash for is the pressure washer if I have crap stuck down in the bottom of the doors/rockers. The truck will be a daily driver, I am interested in ceramic coating because of cleaning ease. My truck that I’m getting ready to sell could be a good practice vehicle but black scares me to practice on lol. Are the classes online? Where do I find information on the classes? I also have a truck that was fully painted that I’d be interested in wetsanding/Buffing and ceramic coating also the quote I got for that was 3500$ it’s a standard cab short bed truck now that price was a little hard to swallow especially after just paying to paint it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post
    I am purchasing a new F350 here in about a month or so. I want to know what i need to do to the paint since it will be brand new. I got a local quote of 2000$ to correct paint and apply ceramic coating. Are either of these things I can do myself? I have buffed a few things im not profficient at it but i dont mind learning new things. I have a griots DA buffer, what all would i need to buy? Please go easy on me i am a rookie, but we all started somewhere.

Thanks,
    John
    Congrats on your new truck. Couldn't you buy a bigger truck? LOL.
    What color? I'm hoping a light color that you can tackle. If it's black, leave it to a professional.

12. Likes bofh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Congrats on your new truck. Couldn't you buy a bigger truck? LOL.
    What color? I'm hoping a light color that you can tackle. If it's black, leave it to a professional.
    Nah the 350 is large enough lol I’m going with Ingot silver metallic crew cab short bed. My current mega cab is like driving a school bus!! I’ll keep buying big trucks, I’ve been rear ended 3 time in my current truck, it’s cost me one trailer hitch and 2 bumpers, all 3 of the cars that hit me we’re totalled

Post Thanks / Like

Watch some videos on polishing here on AG and also on YouTube. It looks like simple enough process although their are thing you will have to learn (arm pressure/speed). If using a D A will be hard to mess up. If new shouldn’t need much correction and hopefully just a polish. Don’t let the dealer prep it for you! I agree I went to get a quote (much smaller vehichle) and decided to invest in tools and products. I definetly will take mikes road course if he comes back to the northwest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast