autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: buying a new F350

I wouldn't be afraid of messing up the black truck, especially with a GG-6 and I would use an all in one because that's a ton of real estate. Buy lots of pads. My crew cab F-150 takes a minimum of 8. It's way easier and faster to do a panel, toss the pad in a bucket of cleaner, and start with a clean pad on the next panel than stopping to clean all the time.

I debated coating my truck, but for now I don't think it's the best option for me. I drive a lot of rural roads and get off road. I need a polish once a year to keep it looking good. 360 in the spring, and McKee's Hi Def in the fall has been my routine for a couple years now and leaves me satisfied.

As for what to buy? Here's what I have:

5 CCS orange pads
    5 CCS white pads
    2 CCS black pads
    6 thinpro orange pads
    6 thinpro white pads

I started with the CCS pads, they worked ok. After more research here I discovered that the thinpros would be better for my PC. They are. I like them a lot more but will still use the CCS pads if I'm using a polish or compound. As for my experience level: I've 3 stepped 2 twice, 2 stepped once, and used AIO (McKees 360 and HD Speed) 4 times. Nowhere near the pros here. With your polisher, you could spend a few hundred bucks here, do some research and read Mike's book and get great results if you take your time and put in the prep needed (DO NOT skip taping off ford trim, you will be cleaning it for months to get it black again!) you will have great results.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post

I am purchasing a new F350 here in about a month or so. I want to know what i need to do to the paint since it will be brand new.

I got a local quote of 2000$ to correct paint and apply ceramic coating. Are either of these things I can do myself?
    To me that sounds about right, that's a huge truck.

Thing is, it shouldn't need any correction work, or at least it shouldn't need COMPOUNDING. It could require machine polishing and I wouldn't coat it myself withouth doing the below,

1. Wash
    2. Chemical decontaminate - using an iron or fallout remover
    3. Mechanical decontaminate - detailing clay or a clay mitt or towel
    4. Final rinse and dry
    5. Tape-off and cover up any plastic trim
    6. Machine polish
    7. Chemically strip
    8. Apply coating
    9. Dress tires
    10. Clean outside glass

The above is a minimum exterior coating detail. Interior would be a separate job and separate price.

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post

I have buffed a few things im not profficient at it but i dont mind learning new things. I have a griots DA buffer, what all would i need to buy? Please go easy on me i am a rookie, but we all started somewhere.

Thanks,
    John

John you could easily do it yourself. Besides the Griot's polisher you'll need,

Foam polishing pads
    Fine cut or medium cut polish
    Some type of panel wipe
    Brand name, reputable ceramic coating

My take on this topic is to keep it simple and go into knowing that once a year you're going to repeat the process to pro-actively MAINTAIN the exterior of the truck to new-car status. I'm NOT a believe in long term coatings because it creates a false reality that you can do,

One and done

And life and the world just doesn't work out like that.

My favorite coating is also the easiest to use and leaves the paint feeling slippery. it's the Pinnacle Black Label Piant Coating and also the Surface Coating. I apply the paint coating as a base coating and then use the Surface coating after a thorough wash.

Here's the link to an article I wrote that has a TON of info on a single page. I don't think you can find another single webpage on the Internet with this much info about the entire process in one place.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

If you have more questions, post them and I'll see if I can add more....

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black 2019 F350 6.7 CCLB. I drove it from the dealer straight to a shop to have tint applied, 2-step correction, and ceramic. I also had them remove the FX4 decals. I am SO glad I had this professionally done. The paint was really jacked up (by AG standards) and though I am usually DIY I wanted it to be 100% perfect beneath the ceramic coating.

On a vehicle this large, I think ceramic is the best idea regardless your wash routine. It's too much acreage IMHO to work with unprotected paint. My wife has a recent Ford SUV of the same color and when the sealant and wax wears off it is a PAIN to wash. Once the weather clears up I'm going to have hers corrected and ceramic coated too.

My routine varies, but in these winter months (I live at the end of a dirt road) I wash it with strip wash and follow up with Bead Maker as a drying agent. That's pretty much it for the paint! I love the routine of applying sealant and wax but it is nearly impossible to physically reach parts of this truck anyway. Taping off chrome and molding takes a really long time.

The Super Duties are susceptible to water spots on the hood. There are too many valleys for water to collect and where beads remain stagnant. As you know, ceramic makes this problem slightly worse so I have to be super diligent in my routine to mitigate that.

Enjoy the truck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    To me that sounds about right, that's a huge truck.

Thing is, it shouldn't need any correction work, or at least it shouldn't need COMPOUNDING. It could require machine polishing and I wouldn't coat it myself withouth doing the below,

1. Wash
    2. Chemical decontaminate - using an iron or fallout remover
    3. Mechanical decontaminate - detailing clay or a clay mitt or towel
    4. Final rinse and dry
    5. Tape-off and cover up any plastic trim
    6. Machine polish
    7. Chemically strip
    8. Apply coating
    9. Dress tires
    10. Clean outside glass

The above is a minimum exterior coating detail. Interior would be a separate job and separate price.

John you could easily do it yourself. Besides the Griot's polisher you'll need,

Foam polishing pads
    Fine cut or medium cut polish
    Some type of panel wipe
    Brand name, reputable ceramic coating

My take on this topic is to keep it simple and go into knowing that once a year you're going to repeat the process to pro-actively MAINTAIN the exterior of the truck to new-car status. I'm NOT a believe in long term coatings because it creates a false reality that you can do,

One and done

And life and the world just doesn't work out like that.

My favorite coating is also the easiest to use and leaves the paint feeling slippery. it's the Pinnacle Black Label Piant Coating and also the Surface Coating. I apply the paint coating as a base coating and then use the Surface coating after a thorough wash.

Here's the link to an article I wrote that has a TON of info on a single page. I don't think you can find another single webpage on the Internet with this much info about the entire process in one place.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

If you have more questions, post them and I'll see if I can add more....

so if I’m reading this right you’re saying don’t ceramic coat if ? This is my first new vehicle ever, I just wanna make sure I take good care of it the best way possible. I’m really thinking my dodge that I’m getting ready to sell might be a good test vehicle to learn on. I am reading your link I’ll be picking up the stuff needed. I appreciate everyone’s help and patience with a beginner!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I literally bought a new dark F150 this past weekend, and struggling with the coat vs. no coat myself. I like to do my own work, and have the tools to do it all. You would be surprised how well a yearly correction with HD Speed and a sealant every so often looks. I frankly would suggest trying it yourself with an all in one product and see how it goes. You can always pay to get it done and ceramic coated later.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

since im selling the truck I decided to run to my local supply store pick up some materials and give it a go...

a friend told me he didn't even realize the truck was black metallic

buying a new F350-image1-jpgbuying a new F350-image4-jpgbuying a new F350-image3-jpgbuying a new F350-image2-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12