autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I messed up BIG TIME! Damage control

Hi All,

I got a 911 993 and as you might know they have these stoneguards (Sticker) on the rear fenders which get brittle after a while...

- I removed the old brittle stoneguard stickers, which was a huge pain to do... however after many many hours they were finally off and all glue residue was removed!
    - I ordered new ones, made from 3M tape and installed them around last August... however it seems I messed up the installation a bit... had some blisters, and some not so nice spots...
    - I ordered another pair and thought “hey, I will try again as I kinda know now what I’m doing”

So here we go:
    in order to install the new guards I started to remove the ones from the first fender this afternoon... I used my heat gun and pulled in a steep angle... few minutes later, the sticker was gone and just some residue left!

i started using WD40 to get rid of the residue when I realized that most of what looked like residue, was actually damaged clear coat!!!!

you can see on the pictures the “lines” this is clear coat damage!
    i love my car, I’m super careful and can’t believe this happened!

Now I’m panicking and see these options which all suck!
    1) respray needed of probably entire fender area? Paint was original, so this would ruin the authenticity of the car a bit...
    2) is it possible to fill / spray in just some clear, on the area where the sticker was?
    3) simply use a black fender guard sticker and hide the damage
    4) polish hard... but don’t think this will help...

by the way: besides the clear coat damage, I still have most of the residue on! This glue is crazy! It simply doesn’t wanna come off!
    Even worse: the guard on the other side is of course still on, and need to remove it as well... after this experience I’m panicking!

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just place the new sticker over that “damage”? It’s eventually going to go over 100% of the area anyways right? The other option involves a complete do over including a re spray. I’m not saying it’s the perfect solution, only you know if that’s a viable option based on what it looks like irl but if it was me I’d consider just covering it up with the new sticker.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I messed up BIG TIME! Damage control

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Why not just place the new sticker over that “damage”? It’s eventually going to go over 100% of the area anyways right? The other option involves a complete do over including a re spray. I’m not saying it’s the perfect solution, only you know if that’s a viable option based on what it looks like irl but if it was me I’d consider just covering it up with the new sticker.
    Wet sanding?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

So you're sure the paint is damaged? And that's not just residue? Do you think you overheated things and that's why this happened? I find it a little odd that the clear pulled off in that pattern, rather than a more complete or a more random way.

Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't look like clear damage to me. Use something that will cut the adhesive for sure, like 3M Adhesive remover or gas. WD-40 isn't sticker remover. Worst case scenario, wet sand, compound and polish. I don't think that's a repaint.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not damaged get yourself some citrol

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Goo gone and let it dwell for 15 minutes (not in sunlight). Then using a plastic razor start working it.

Do not wet sand or do anything beyond your capabilities. I would never advise especially on Porsche. Most Porsche’s are unpredictable and have soft paint.. lastly, paint is thin.

Odds are it’s residue and the wd40 has made it worse looking than it really is. Tarminator will do the same thing. I saw Tarmimator cause adhesive to start bubbling.. I thought for sure the paint was gone. After 15 minute dwell time of goo-be-gone and some plastic razor, it turned out just fine.

Goo gone Dwell time is your friend, it will not hurt your paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Farmallluvr, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So you're sure the paint is damaged? And that's not just residue? Do you think you overheated things and that's why this happened? I find it a little odd that the clear pulled off in that pattern, rather than a more complete or a more random way.
    Mr Astronomy is on the money.

The pattern is the giveaway. Try pro strength goof off, best residue remover I’ve used. Just go easy on the paint and wash thoroughly with soapy water after to help neutralise the surface.

Of course, try in a small area first and gently work to determine results. You’ll see pretty quickly if the clear is damaged, your fingernail will find the ridges.

10. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

ok, you guys give me some hope, but based on how it looked and felt (with fingernails going over it), I could have SWORN last night there is clear coat damage... also even with quite hard rubbing and scratching with fingernail there was no change to the pattern...

I am at work all day today and ordered some residue removers (I am based in Germany, so most mentioned products dont exist with the same name, but there are plenty which I already ordered).

I will "attack" the area tomorrow once the products arrive and send prayers tonight to the car gods that the paint is fine and I'm just overreacting...

Post Thanks / Like

You have gas in Germany right? It won't hurt your paint either, otherwise they would let you pump it into your car and have it drip down the side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast