autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

I just got new wheels/tires and plan on using this coating. In the videos from Apex detailing and Pan the organizer (featuring Yvan Lacroix) they both applied in sections and worked it in right away and mentioned if there is a blue/purple tint than there is too much product. I noticed in some of the pictures here some of you have an entirely blue tire? Yvan Lacroix also mentioned he recommends only 1 coat even though 2 is possible. I read a few of you did 2-3+? I‘m wondering if that’s the reasoning behind the browning. My current dressing is CP PERL but this stuff is pretty cheap so I’m tempted at the thought of a longer lasting dressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rand0m View Post
    I just got new wheels/tires and plan on using this coating. In the videos from Apex detailing and Pan the organizer (featuring Yvan Lacroix) they both applied in sections and worked it in right away and mentioned if there is a blue/purple tint than there is too much product. I noticed in some of the pictures here some of you have an entirely blue tire? Yvan Lacroix also mentioned he recommends only 1 coat even though 2 is possible. I read a few of you did 2-3+? I‘m wondering if that’s the reasoning behind the browning. My current dressing is CP PERL but this stuff is pretty cheap so I’m tempted at the thought of a longer lasting dressing.
    Imo yes over application will cause the browning also the prep work has to be followed to the t. The first time I used it I just kept putting on coats because it looked splotchy to me...and it turned to sh*t. Also it's not that easy to remove. Less is more with otc

Sent from my SM-A205U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I applied this over the weekend and it went pretty poorly. I used a circular microfiber application pad and the coating dried extremely streaky and uneven. The tires, a new set of Vredestein Quatrac Pros, were thoroughly cleaned with a few applications of Power Clean and dried with heated filtered air. It almost felt like the coating dried instantly on the tires even though it was only about 60-65 degrees out. I'm also wondering if I didn't apply enough product to the applicator and had to keep adding more to it for each quarter I applied it to.

At this point the tires look so bad I'm going to have to remove the coating and either try again or go back to my usual CG VRT (or make the switch to Carpro Pearl or Gyeon Tire). I do have Gyeon Tar on hand and more Power Clean to try and get the coating off. Are those two chemicals, a good tire brush, and thorough scrubbing going to be enough to get it off? If do reapply the coating is there a type of applicator or sponge that would work better?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that protective coating from the factory is still on there and/or needs to out gas, I mean they are brand newOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

It's possible but I've had the tires for over a month and who knows how long they were at Tire Rack before being shipped to me. I'm not seeing any browning so it's likely something I did wrong when applying to coating to the tires. Be it a poor quality microfiber applicator and having the same application issue Rrthomas78 had. Seeing that the coverage wasn't ideal, going back over it again, and it turning into a uneven streaky mess.

Once I get the coating off I may try repplying to one tire and see how that goes. Maybe try a better quality microfiber square applicator or a grooved foam style such as the Speed Master Tire Dressing Applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Optimum Tire Protection on a new set of tires, and it was terrible, had to painfully remove it. Same tires, 2,000 miles later, it worked great. I clean them until pure white foam shows on the tire. Like 5 or 6 rounds of cleaning with Power Clean and a power scrub brush. I've also used Tuf Shine, which required even more cleaning in my experience, and that product works great too.

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with Optimum's customer service over the phone and they confirmed my suspicions. My tires were too new and my application was poor. A few of them have also started browning since I applied the coating. I've ordered some Optimum T.A.R. and it should be here by the end of next week. Getting the coating off will likely be a real pain but lesson learned. I'm not sure I'll give it a try again in a few months though.

Post Thanks / Like

Use mineral spirits on the tires tooOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728