autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Can you elaborate as to what it is and why? Do you think too much product is being applied hereOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It is a little gravity fed air powered spray gun. Think HF has them for a few bucks.

Y I think it’s better???? 1) even coverage 2) it’s fast 3) when applying with a MF applicator, I find it dries rather quickly. There are times I feel it dries too quickly and it’s almost has a contact cement feel where it’s pulling itself off of the tire. Of course working a tiny area is key to prevent this but then go back to the spray gun bring fast.
    Jim

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally bit the bullet and have Optimum TPC coming later this week.

Based on Klasse's (aka Klasse The Influencer ) previous experience, I understand the preparation is the key to a successful application. Presently I have Continental DWS06's sealed with Blackfire Tire and Trim Sealant, I do like the like BF Tire and Sealant for all of my trim as it brings out the "blackness" of the trim as well as the tires but I'm looking for more shine aka the wet look for the tires. I did apply a couple of coats to the tires a few weeks ago to get that wet look, it kept the wet look for about 3-5 days. I also applied it to my wife's X3 lower trim, and it looks amazing!

Several questions:
    1. What is a good tire cleaner that I should be using for preparation?
    2. Since the tires "look" clean currently with the BF sealant on them, how will I know if I've taken off the sealant?
    3. Cure time, according to the weather reports for this weekend, it's supposed to rain this weekend. Should I hold off until the forecast is clear for a couple of days?
    4. How much time in between coats should I wait before applying a second coat and is it necessary to go to a third coat?
    5. Maintenance, what is a recommended product to keep the tires clean and keeping the integrity of the coating?
    6. Wheels, I've used Sonax Wheel Cleaner and Meguiar's Ultimate Wheel Cleaner in the past, with two bottles of Sonax coming later this week. Will the Sonax affect the coating?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but these are the first to come to mind!

Thank you for your all of your input!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

I like Super Clean aerosol for a good cleaning and its available OTC which is why I'm posting it but Optimum Power Clean straight out of the bottle would work too but make sure the tire is DRY, whether it's time or with a Master Blaster. Apply a good, even coat and wait about 15 minutes and you can then apply a 2nd coat. It's going to have this bluish/purple tint when applying, don't worry it goes awayOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Maintenance is just carwash soap but you can use your tire cleaner and some scrubbing if need be, it doesn't come off. Any more specific questions ask awayOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Well I finally bit the bullet and have Optimum TPC coming later this week.

Based on Klasse's (aka Klasse The Influencer ) previous experience, I understand the preparation is the key to a successful application. Presently I have Continental DWS06's sealed with Blackfire Tire and Trim Sealant, I do like the like BF Tire and Sealant for all of my trim as it brings out the "blackness" of the trim as well as the tires but I'm looking for more shine aka the wet look for the tires. I did apply a couple of coats to the tires a few weeks ago to get that wet look, it kept the wet look for about 3-5 days. I also applied it to my wife's X3 lower trim, and it looks amazing!

Several questions:
    1. What is a good tire cleaner that I should be using for preparation?
    2. Since the tires "look" clean currently with the BF sealant on them, how will I know if I've taken off the sealant?
    3. Cure time, according to the weather reports for this weekend, it's supposed to rain this weekend. Should I hold off until the forecast is clear for a couple of days?
    4. How much time in between coats should I wait before applying a second coat and is it necessary to go to a third coat?
    5. Maintenance, what is a recommended product to keep the tires clean and keeping the integrity of the coating?
    6. Wheels, I've used Sonax Wheel Cleaner and Meguiar's Ultimate Wheel Cleaner in the past, with two bottles of Sonax coming later this week. Will the Sonax affect the coating?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but these are the first to come to mind!

Thank you for your all of your input!

Jay

6. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TNcoupe now has his tires coated. Did 3 rounds of cleanings, 1 with mineral spirits, 2 using Alien Kleen in the towel and 3 spraying Alien Kleen on the tire and wiping. This pulled a TON off and onto my line green mf towel. I did 2x's w/10 minutes inbetween. The thing is though, these tires will be on for a maximum of 2 weeks as he's got new tires/wheels going on it, stay "tuned".

Post Thanks / Like

After four rounds of deep cleaning with Optimum Power Clean and a couple with GG Tire Cleaner yesterday, the first coat is on the tires!

So far so good, but I do reserve the right to be “mistaken”!! The first coat has been on for about 30 minutes and I’m about to apply the 2nd coat.

Application around the lettering is a little tedious but otherwise pretty easy so far.

I’m must say the Power Clean is absolutely incredible, it immediately started pulling the dirt and sealant off the tire (BF Tire and Trim Sealant)!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

9. Likes Klasse Act, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Alien Kleen aka Optimum Power Clean is the one product I've always had in my collection and haven't really ventured away from, well, I do use Power Clean but its OTC and inexpensive AND works great as well. I only cut it 1:1 whereas Alien Kleen @ 3:1 and works awesomelyOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered OPT tire coating yesterday.
    I almost bought some Power Clean yesterday but changed my mind.
    Then again I had Tuff shine tire cleaner in the cart for a minute to.

I also bought a drill brush set to use in my Makita impact for cleaning.

I figure I will go through what I have and see how it goes for cleaning. I will probably do a Prep-All final wipe since I don't have any mineral spirits handy.
    Hell even brake cleaner on a rag would work.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a little browning in the recessed Continental name on the tire and possibly some cracking on the same tire. The cracking looks like it's on the tire where the it was sitting on the wood block. The car sat on the wood blocks the entire time of application. I let it set for about an hour and ten minutes before driving. Other tires look good.

Do I try to strip or clean the area where it's browning?

Thank you
    Jay

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Strip and redo that tireOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast