autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Ok....I applied a 2nd coat and while I didn't notice the brown, dry look I did notice small "sections" of tan but I just applied over the top of it. All I know is this, I've never had an experience like THIS with any other product. Yes I never did a heavy duty cleaning prior to this but I also never did it with any other product either, so while the jury is currently out the tea leaves are out thereOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Ok....I applied a 2nd coat and while I didn't notice the brown, dry look I did notice small "sections" of tan but I just applied over the top of it. All I know is this, I've never had an experience like THIS with any other product. Yes I never did a heavy duty cleaning prior to this but I also never did it with any other product either, so while the jury is currently out the tea leaves are out thereOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Did this happen to be on the front tires?

There are small sections of discolouration on the inner radius of the tire wall on the fronts in the last set of pictures you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this thread is one of the many reasons I have no interest in tire coatings. I've only ever used the Tuff Shine costing. Like most I didn't have the tires clean enough with the first application and it looked like hell.

Fixed that mistake when applying it the 2nd time and still just wasn't impressed. Didn't love the look. For me PERL is the best looking tire dressing out and there isn't any of the finicky issues you get with TS and some other dressings. Takes me maybe 5 minutes to reapply after each wash and I RARELY see any kind of browning. Just give it a light cleaning with a RW product or a heavily diluted APC and brush it on, them knock down any high spots with an applicator. Every 3 months or so I'll do a deep cleaning to strip it all off and any kind of dirt and reapply.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Did this happen to be on the front tires?

There are small sections of discolouration on the inner radius of the tire wall on the fronts in the last set of pictures you posted.
    Yes

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Mike Phillips only recommends on new tires to use tire coating. Cleaning old ones is a PIA and if not totally clean you gotta redo. I do feel the TAC systems tire coat is more forgiving. I apply monthly 1-2 coats and performs well.

I suspect it being more forgiving is why durability is less. I got 2 months of protection and probably coulda got a 3rd but appearance wasn’t up to snuff for me.

Acura, PERL is my favorite and I felt 2 coats had that Perl sheen and was more durable. For the price you should give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

TAC system tire coating isn't a true coating, it doesn't have that bluish/purple color in the mix when applying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    The issue I encounter with the stuff is that I can’t spread it around. Before I make it 1/3 of the way around the tire, the stuff has become dry and impossible to spread around. It’s really, really weird.

My gut tells me to use more product, but I keep operating under the impression that it shouldn’t take much product at all to cover the tire. Next time I pick a tire to apply to, I may just apply more than I think I need. It certainly can’t come out worse than it has in previous attempts.

Hum... I did not use much product at all so far. I use a foam applicator for tire dressing, make a line of product along the long axis. Probably used about half an ounce to do 4 tires.

I did not get the drying effect while applying. So my guess is yes, you did not use enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    just went through this with PBL wheel coating. directions really hit on using their surface cleansing polish. I have tons of polishes, cleaners and strippers... do I really need this I ask myself? The coating is $60... another $30 for another bottle on a crowded shelf?

And then if it doesn't work as you had hoped there is this element of doubt. Is the product just not as advertised or is it my fault for not following the directions 100%...
    My rule of thumb is: Only switch product when the previous one is empty. Otherwise you will end up for 50 bottles of stuff all doing the same thing and some of them going bad before you can used them.

10. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hum... I did not use much product at all so far. I use a foam applicator for tire dressing, make a line of product along the long axis. Probably used about half an ounce to do 4 tires.

I did not get the drying effect while applying. So my guess is yes, you did not use enough.
    My last attempt at applying it was done with one of the speedmaster tire dressing applicator sponges: Speed Master Tire Dressing Applicator

It was a much better attempt than using a microfiber applicator/towel, but I still put about 3 lines of product on to the foam and it still didn't give me hardly any time at all to spread it around. it's very odd.

Post Thanks / Like

TAC system tire coating isn't a true coating, it doesn't have that bluish/purple color in the mix when applying.

I don’t think color makes it a coating or not. It is an acrylic based resin which McKee’s tire coat also claims to be. Lasted a couple of months for me which no dressing has.

It’s definitely a coating just not as durable as others.

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast