autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I thought it was by far the cheapest tire coating, but someone mentioned another one that was similar price, I honestly can't remember what.

This is the application method they recommended at the OPT forum:

"How to apply: We have found the best results come from either applying with an HVLP gun (NOT the Optibond tire gun) or applying by hand with a medium pile microfiber towel (around 300 GSM) the tire should have a nice even purple color around the whole tire. A single application will give a satin/matte look. Waiting 30 minutes and applying a second coat will make the tire quite shiny. Optimum only recommends up to 3 coats at this time."

I asked about how to clean that towel and they said this:

"Immediately soak towels in Optimum Power Clean, dwell a minimum of 10 min, rinse then wash normally, do not allow to dry before washing."

Me personally I'm going to use a cheapo tire swipe and throw it out after, if I ever get any of this stuff.
    Wow... 3 coats with 30 minutes wait between coats... so almost an hour and a half to coat the tires. That's sad, I really don't have that much time to waste on a tire coating. Maybe for enthousiasts it would be ok, but I can't use that in my business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    That's a really good price for the quart compared to all the other tire coatings.

How do you plan on applying it? With one of those Carrand tire brushes that are recommended for the M37 tire coating or a normal foam tire swipe? I wonder how good air brush application would be.

Any word if the applicator will dry rubbery if not cleaned right away

I want to try a HVLP gun. If this works well, it will be great for off road type tires.

I also cut up old foam buffing pads for tire dressing application. We’ll see how this works as well.
    Jim

3. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Wow... 3 coats with 30 minutes wait between coats... so almost an hour and a half to coat the tires. That's sad, I really don't have that much time to waste on a tire coating. Maybe for enthousiasts it would be ok, but I can't use that in my business.
    Put a coat on then do something else like apply a LSP. Then reapply. If a tire coating is worthwhile, it should be an upsell anyway to cover the extra work involved.
    Jim

5. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was by far the cheapest tire coating, but someone mentioned another one that was similar price, I honestly can't remember what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 03-11-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Item not sold at Autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... 3 coats with 30 minutes wait between coats... so almost an hour and a half to coat the tires. That's sad, I really don't have that much time to waste on a tire coating. Maybe for enthusiasts it would be ok, but I can't use that in my business.
    I think one coat is probably going to be fine, the description of 2 coats was "a glazed donut", I believe they mention 3 coats only because that is the limit before it may crack (my guess). Do you use a coating now? I mean that 30 minutes seems to be the "standard" dry time for a tire coating before recoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Tac systems tire coat
    Oh yeah, that's it, "consist by acrylic polymer of resin", and "Not too much oily shine in the surface. Have beautiful and deep burnish. The function of anti-pollution has improved"; who could forget.

EDIT: Is this stuff really a "coating" in the vein of Tuf Shine, M37, or the new Optimum product? Because I found a review over on Autopia and it sounds a bit more like Perl than a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Yvan about speeding up the curing process with the sidekick like Mike P does with Tuf Shine and Yvan said no.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, that's it, "consist by acrylic polymer of resin", and "Not too much oily shine in the surface. Have beautiful and deep burnish. The function of anti-pollution has improved"; who could forget.

EDIT: Is this stuff really a "coating" in the vein of Tuf Shine, M37, or the new Optimum product? Because I found a review over on Autopia and it sounds a bit more like Perl than a coating.
    McKee’s is an acrylic based resin, tac tire coat is the same, Acrylic polymer of resin.

Optimum states it’s tire coating “a long lasting water based tire shine and protectant”.

Auto geek says Perl is water based protective coating “that lasts up to 3 months!”

Based of discriptions of being water based and acrylic resin based. Optimum product more like Perl and tirecoat more like M37. Everyone’s favorite coating TW endure shine was also acrylic based.

Don’t let the name “coating” fool you....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    McKee’s is an acrylic based resin, tac tire coat is the same, Acrylic polymer of resin.

Optimum states it’s tire coating “a long lasting water based tire shine and protectant”.

Auto geek says Perl is water based protective coating “that lasts up to 3 months!”

Based of discriptions of being water based and acrylic resin based. Optimum product more like Perl and tirecoat more like M37. Everyone’s favorite coating TW endure shine was also acrylic based.

Don’t let the name “coating” fool you....
    I don't know if you're being facetious or not, we know that Perl is an SiO2-enhanced silicone dressing, and we know that the TW, M37 and OPT products are coatings (I take Optimum at their word when they say that theirs is an acrylic coating which lasts 6+ months, per their forum). Sure the garbled translation on the TAC product would seem to indicate it's the same, but I was only able to find the one review on Autopia which seemed to me inconclusive, which is why I asked.

Post Thanks / Like

No not at all. Just everything is called a coating nowadays. I pointed out difference because I could no find on AG or Optimums website stating that they use acrylic resin. Just waterbased like Perl. Also Perl uses silicon (silica) not silicone. To confused me and found out silicon is another way of saying silica which is sio2.

I did a lot to research on the tire coatings before purchasing. I think OPT makes amazing products but could not find much on optimums tire coating in reference to ingredients I could not find anything stating it had acrylic resin in it. I actually thought the same of tirecoat being same as Perl as theirs a lot who think tac systems makes Car pros and Gyeon product, as the are all South Korean company but see that chemicaI make up is completely different. Made choice due to price, several articles (including one on Autopia), messages to forum members who have used tire coat. Due to information available, recommendations, being able to get 16oz bottle, and it stating that it has acrylic resin (although in broken English). I was just trying to inform based of of my findings and sorry if it came across any other way.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast