autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

This thread is amazing....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It could have to do with them being Michelins...

As far as tire foam, I would never expect a tire foam to clean good enough for prepping for a tire coating. They’re simply not made to do that.
    Yeah I was just at Griots and was strongest they had. Bought both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Finick, what kind of applicator did you use? Optimum recommends using a microfiber towel. That's not something I can imagine doing, but I haven't used the stuff yet.
    I used a round microfiber applicator on my first tire, and a big foam one on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

In descriptions I read tuff shine and optimum seem comparable and McKee’s and the tac systems sounded similar. Maybe give McKee’s or tacs a try. If I know anyone with Michelin’s I’ll give them a try

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    In descriptions I read tuff shine and optimum seem comparable and McKee’s and the tac systems sounded similar. Maybe give McKee’s or tacs a try. If I know anyone with Michelin’s I’ll give them a try

Now we’re taking! Get that crowd science going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I had a not so great experience with the optimum tire coating.

This is my second tire that looks like absolute trash after application. I’m not sure what I can really do differently at this point, as all my tires have been scrubbed, cumulatively, about 8 times with straight power clean.

Almost as soon as the coating touches my tire it dries out and I can’t really spread it around, leading to this streaky horrible appearance.

I don’t know if it’s my tires or what. The first one I applied it to in about 40 degree weather, so I blamed that on me. But it’s 60 today, and I was in the shade. So I’m really at a loss here as to what I could be doing wrong.

Not really looking forward to doing my last two tires If this will he the end result, lol. It’s sad when my tire just looked a lot better without anything on it at all.

That looks like a mess. It sounds like the tire is absorbing the product to quickly. Your tires may need to be worked in small sections with additional coats until the tire absorbs enough product. Mckee's and Tuf Shine are similar in that regard with certain tires.

Also 40 degrees is the minimum temp it should be applied.

Curious what type of tire dressing where you using before the tire coating?

I used an applicator. It’s really weird, it just dries so damn fast on the tire. Like I almost want to say within 5-6 seconds it seems like it’s tacky and you can’t spread it without streaking it.

I imagine if I sprayed it I wouldn’t have any issues.

Edit: to put it into context, you had enough working time to use the brush then level it with the microfiber applicator pad? If I started applying at the top of my tire, before I even got to the bottom of the tire it was already black. It would be impossible to have a blue hue all over the tire based on how fast it dries. Unless I used a ridiculous amount, and I already used a ton on that tire. Much more than I’ve seen other people use.

I saw the applicator you were using and it looks like it is on the thin side and probably not absorbing enough into the core of the applicator.

Optimum recommends a microfiber towel so maybe try that or one of the more plush microfiber applicators (the blue microfiber versions that are a bit more plush). But put more to have the applicator a bit more damp rather than just a line and work it in small sections.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If I can figure out how to scrub the crap off I may just clean my tires and leave them naked moving forward. I really hate applying tire dressing lol.

Optimum recommends using their TAR Remover to remove it as Power Clean will not do it. Perhaps another tar remover will work. If not you will need to remove it like I did with McKee's (the old DP version) based on Nick's information as McKee's is an acrylic coating and a fresh coat is very durable and a paint to remove. I am on my phone at the moment but I am 95% certain that write up is on Autopia if you want to check it out search along the lines of how to remove DP Tire coating

I used a round microfiber applicator on my first tire, and a big foam one on this one.

Can you post a photo of this applicator?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

Actually Tuf Shine and Mckee's are more similar. They both behave the same and have that bluish tint when applied to the tire that turns clear. The new Mckee's version offers more gloss and seems to outperform Tuf Shine. I have to say McKee's is legit and the last time I got 11 months out of it on my daily driver before I reapplied it.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

That looks like a mess. It sounds like the tire is absorbing the product to quickly. Your tires may need to be worked in small sections with additional coats until the tire absorbs enough product. Mckee's and Tuf Shine are similar in that regard with certain tires.

Also 40 degrees is the minimum temp it should be applied.

Curious what type of tire dressing where you using before the tire coating?
    All things considered, if I could get it on evenly, I actually like the depth/color one coat seems to produce. I think I'd be happy with one coat on each, so long as one coat on each didn't look like complete garbage, lol.

Yeah, what I meant was just that I gave my first tire a pass, since I did apply it when it was a little cold out.

I was using PERL

I saw the applicator you were using and it looks like it is on the thin side and probably not absorbing enough into the core of the applicator.

Optimum recommends a microfiber towel so maybe try that or one of the more plush microfiber applicators (the blue microfiber versions that are a bit more plush). But put more to have the applicator a bit more damp rather than just a line and work it in small sections.
    Yeah it's pretty garbage, which is why I used it for this task. It was a really bad user experience, too. It just didn't want to glide over the tire. kept trying to rip out of my hands and was just really not enjoyable to use. I like the foam one a lot better.

Optimum recommends using their TAR Remover to remove it as Power Clean will not do it. Perhaps another tar remover will work. If not you will need to remove it like I did with McKee's (the old DP version) based on Nick's information as McKee's is an acrylic coating and a fresh coat is very durable and a paint to remove. I am on my phone at the moment but I am 95% certain that write up is on Autopia if you want to check it out search along the lines of how to remove DP Tire coating
    Found your write up, so I'll probably just save myself some headache and go straight to steel wool. I seem to remember Yvan saying in a video that mineral spirits can be used to scrub the coating off, but I'd have to dig to find that video.

Can you post a photo of this applicator?

Post Thanks / Like

All things considered, if I could get it on evenly, I actually like the depth/color one coat seems to produce. I think I'd be happy with one coat on each, so long as one coat on each didn't look like complete garbage, lol.

Yeah, what I meant was just that I gave my first tire a pass, since I did apply it when it was a little cold out.

I was using PERL

Yeah it's pretty garbage, which is why I used it for this task. It was a really bad user experience, too. It just didn't want to glide over the tire. kept trying to rip out of my hands and was just really not enjoyable to use. I like the foam one a lot better.

Found your write up, so I'll probably just save myself some headache and go straight to steel wool. I seem to remember Yvan saying in a video that mineral spirits can be used to scrub the coating off, but I'd have to dig to find that video.

Hopefully that write up works for you.

You got me thinking and I remember that I did try the old DP tire coating on a set of Michelin tires and it held up fine. Not as long as other tire manufacturers but it was not bad. I would give a more plush microfiber applicator a shot to see if that helps. Worth a shot to experiment.

One thing to keep in mind is that cleaning the tires doesn’t necessarily clean whatever has been absorbed from previous tire dressings. Learned that the hard way which is why I wrote that removal write up.

I haven’t used that applicator but my favorite tire coating applicator is the one from Tuf Shine. It just seems to work really well.

If I ever buy the optimum tire coating I am going to give it a shot among other things to test it out with.

9. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it took me all of 25 minutes to seemingly remove it from my passenger front tire

Saw a video posted earlier today where Yvan just scrubbed down the tire in his Jeep with their new tar remover, so I figured I’d go out there and try that with tarx.

Took one pass to get the botched coating off, and I did an extra one for good measure. Followed by a couple scrubs with pure power clean.

Didn’t take a picture of the tire before, but it looked similar to the front driver side tire I posted about before.

I may give it a couple more scrubbing and try again on that tire, lol. Now that I know it’s pretty freakin easy to remove.

11. Likes The Guz, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it took me all of 25 minutes to seemingly remove it from my passenger front tire

Saw a video posted earlier today where Yvan just scrubbed down the tire in his Jeep with their new tar remover, so I figured I’d go out there and try that with tarx.

Took one pass to get the botched coating off, and I did an extra one for good measure. Followed by a couple scrubs with pure power clean.

Didn’t take a picture of the tire before, but it looked similar to the front driver side tire I posted about before.

I may give it a couple more scrubbing and try again on that tire, lol. Now that I know it’s pretty freakin easy to remove.

That's not good if it is easy to remove, I think. As long as longevity is concerned, IMO.

I had not prepped one of my tires enough when I first applied Tuf Shine,, and it was a PITA to remove.

Eric

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast