autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I used an applicator. It’s really weird, it just dries so damn fast on the tire. Like I almost want to say within 5-6 seconds it seems like it’s tacky and you can’t spread it without streaking it.

I imagine if I sprayed it I wouldn’t have any issues.

Edit: to put it into context, you had enough working time to use the brush then level it with the microfiber applicator pad? If I started applying at the top of my tire, before I even got to the bottom of the tire it was already black. It would be impossible to have a blue hue all over the tire based on how fast it dries. Unless I used a ridiculous amount, and I already used a ton on that tire. Much more than I’ve seen other people use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I had 3-4 minutes of play time. Weird could be tire or product composition....

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If I can figure out how to scrub the crap off I may just clean my tires and leave them naked moving forward. I really hate applying tire dressing lol.

Yeah tyres aren’t the greatest of jobs. They do add that cherry on top though.

I would experiment with a solvent based coating next to see what happens. Your tyre is a great test bed.

Post Thanks / Like

It could have to do with them being Michelins...

As far as tire foam, I would never expect a tire foam to clean good enough for prepping for a tire coating. They’re simply not made to do that.

4. Likes Rrthomas78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Maybe try tac systems or McKee’s ? The seem to be polymer/resin and I believe solvent based maybe? Optimum doesn’t mention resin and is water base. May be different type of coating so maybe different results?

My last ditch effort is going to be going to Home Depot and getting a foam roller. One of those little boys that the black pearl tire coating uses for application, and try applying it that way.

I imagine since the wiping is causing the steaks, maybe the roller will allow me to apply a smoother coat.

Post Thanks / Like

My last ditch effort is going to be going to Home Depot and getting a foam roller. One of those little boys that the black pearl tire coating uses for application, and try applying it that way.

I imagine since the wiping is causing the steaks, maybe the roller will allow me to apply a smoother coat.

Ill call it early and say it will be no use. The product and tyre compound aren’t playing together.The surface is drinking up what it can and leaving the rest.

The same happens with oxidised plastics when they are dressed, can look great on first application but come back a few hours later and it is patchy.

Tyres are worse because they are uncoated by nature and extremely porous.

Go straight to the solvent based coatings.

7. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Yeah tyres aren’t the greatest of jobs. They do add that cherry on top though.

I would experiment with a solvent based coating next to see what happens. Your tyre is a great test bed.
    At the risk of sounding super lazy, which ones are solvent based? I know of M37, optimum, tuff shine, adams, black pearl, and the tac systeks one Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Granted, I’ll probably still try to get the optimum one to work on my other two tires, or experiment on family member cars who would never notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It could have to do with them being Michelins...
    Why you gotta roast my Michelins??? You bout to end up in a Boston crab.

Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of sounding super lazy, which ones are solvent based? I know of M37, optimum, tuff shine, adams, black pearl, and the tac systeks one Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Granted, I’ll probably still try to get the optimum one to work on my other two tires, or experiment on family member cars who wouldn’t notice
    Sorry mate, you’ll have to do that bit yourself or someone here might be able to jump in.

Still worth keeping it. Try it on another car with different brand tyres, use the exact same cleaning technique and see what happens.

Be sure to report back here though, we all want to ‘aah’ over the info.

10. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Ill call it early and say it will be no use. The product and tyre compound aren’t playing together.The surface is drinking up what it can and leaving the rest.

The same happens with oxidised plastics when they are dressed, can look great on first application but come back a few hours later and it is patchy.

Tyres are worse because they are uncoated by nature and extremely porous.

Go straight to the solvent based coatings.
    He’s right.^
    On tires that refused to accept coatings [Michelins] I usually go with a high gloss solvent based tire shine/gel i.e. Meguiars Endurance.

Why you gotta roast my Michelins??? You bout to end up in a Boston crab.

If you get me in a Boston Crab, I’ll get up and lay down a Nature Boy Chop!Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)lol.

12. Likes gspam1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    He’s right.^
    On tires that refused to accept coatings [Michelins] I usually go with a high gloss solvent based tire shine/gel i.e. Meguiars Endurance.

If you get me in a Boston Crab, I’ll get up and lay down a Nature Boy Chop!Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)lol.
    Well I guess I’ll pursue trying to remove the coating from the two it’s on and just use the bottle on the numerous cars around the house, lol.

I can always just use up the perl and vrp I have. Those have always looked just fine. Then after that I’ll decide where I wanna go Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Woo!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Finick, what kind of applicator did you use? Optimum recommends using a microfiber towel. That's not something I can imagine doing, but I haven't used the stuff yet.

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast