autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

The bottle comes with a spray nozzle? Or how are you “supposed” to apply it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The bottle comes with a spray nozzle? Or how are you “supposed” to apply it?
    Flip top, no sprayer.

From Opti-coat Forum

How to apply: We have found the best results come from either applying with an HVLP gun (NOT the Optibond tire gun) or applying by hand with a medium pile microfiber towel (around 300 GSM) the tire should have a nice even purple color around the whole tire. A single application will give a satin/matte look. Waiting 30 minutes and applying a second coat will make the tire quite shiny. Optimum only recommends up to 3 coats at this time.

Longevity: 6-12 months

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So basically unchanged after 6 weeks of winter driving?
    If the Sun arrives today, I plan on a ONR wash and I'll try to take outside pics to try to match the day of install.

There is a lot still there. Maybe a little less shiny, but the tire is definitely still protected, slick to the touch.

4. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2nd set of tires seem to have somewhat of a silicone type shine to them but that could be due to the tires. Besides that this product looks interesting enough to check out, especially for the price. Thx for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tj98cobra View Post
    If the Sun arrives today, I plan on a ONR wash and I'll try to take outside pics to try to match the day of install.

There is a lot still there. Maybe a little less shiny, but the tire is definitely still protected, slick to the touch.
    I'll take your subjective description over the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The 2nd set of tires seem to have somewhat of a silicone type shine to them but that could be due to the tires. Besides that this product looks interesting enough to check out, especially for the price. Thx for posting.
    I agree, the are shinier side-by-side with the others with 2 coats. I think there are three factors :

1. Tahoe Tires are 4yrs old, 44k miles. For 3 of those 4 years, it was not owned by me. Probably not obsessively cared for
    2. Altima tires are 1yr old, maybe 6k miles. Since new they've been cared for with my OCD.
    3. Altima tires are likely a different compound.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

I agree, the are shinier side-by-side with the others with 2 coats. I think there are three factors :

1. Tahoe Tires are 4yrs old, 44k miles. For 3 of those 4 years, it was not owned by me. Probably not obsessively cared for
    2. Altima tires are 1yr old, maybe 6k miles. Since new they've been cared for with my OCD.
    3. Altima tires are likely a different compound.
    IMO age and care have nothing to do with how good or bad a tire can look on its best day. On my old Cadillac Seville all I ever bought was used tires and I never had a problem making an old dirty tire look phenomenal after just 2-3 quik cleanings and then straight to coating and never had a problem with bonding or anything as long as it was a quality tire to begin with.

Here’s a used tire I bought for $30 bucks including mounting. Looks pretty good eh?Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Here’s another $30 dollar used tire on the same car. Looks sweet.

Here’s the 3rd used tire... Unfortunately I wasn’t as lucky when I picked this 1 as it turned out to be a bit of an ugly duckling.

An ugly tire is an ugly tire and there’s no amount of cleaning that can fix it. Sidewalls don’t get ugly over time either. That’s why the worst thing you could do is buy a brand new set of ugly tires because then you’re stuck with them.

Post Thanks / Like

cobra...thanks much for your experience with the product...after I run out of my Tuf Shoine, I think I will give this a shot.

Eric

10. Likes tj98cobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Opti-coat Forum

How to apply:
    We have found the best results come from
    either applying with an HVLP gun (NOT the
    Optibond tire gun) or applying by hand with
    a medium pile microfiber towel (around 300
    GSM) the tire should have a nice even purple
    color around the whole tire.

A single application will give a satin/matte look.
    Waiting 30 minutes and applying a second coat
    will make the tire quite shiny. Optimum only
    recommends up to 3 coats at this time.

Longevity: 6-12 months
    I’ve always been a staunch advocate of
    Opti-Bond: TPC seems like it’d be the
    natural progression thereof. Can’t wait
    to give it a spin.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You know, I typed up a big long comment, but the long and short of it is that I believe they don't test other products. There is a video floating around the AG store with a new product intro for one of the OPT products, with Dr. G and Mike Phillips, and in the conversation, Dr. G says "I'm not a detailer Mike, that's why I rely on people like you".

Dr. G is a lab geek, I think the people in his orbit say "Dr. G, you should make a tire coating" and he asks what it should be like, and he goes off and concocts it and gives them something to test and they refine it.

The forum answer-guy, Ron, doesn't work at Optimum, as I understand it he's some sort of retired sales/marketing guy who monitors the forum from home, and he's not a detailer or even close. When he first took over that job after Chris got dumped, he was really pretty clueless, but he's picked up a lot over the last couple of years. There seems to be a lot of funneling questions back and forth by email.

Optimum has never had full-time people on staff like AG has had with Mike Phillips and Nick, the public-facing Optimum people always have had their own detailing businesses, Anthony Orosco, Scottwax, Chris, Dann, Yvan. It may have changed now, I know Dann sold his business, but he doesn't work "at" Optimum, he's the west coast rep. Yvan had two shops up in Canada and AFAIK he still does, even though he may not be running them day-to-day since he is doing so much PR/training now for Optimum, but who knows, obviously he couldn't be in both shops at the same time, so he may be juggling both of them and the OPT gig also, which would be pretty much par for the course from what I have observed over the years.

Thank for this information as I was not aware! Very helpful and good to know.

From the photos and experiences, this seems like a winner. I'll pick some up when I can thoroughly wash my tires. This is great for us waterless/rinseless wash guys.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast