autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I wouldn’t ever imply there’s any truth to the statement, just that they do say it. Although it doesn’t seem far fetched, in my head, that these specific rubber cleaner products may leave something behind to make the tires look so good after everything is said and done.

I go back and forth between completely disregarding the notion that x brands cleaner is special and thinking “ehh, maybe?”

I can’t (maybe won’t) accept that paint coatings operate under different rules (brand specific prep products) than a tire coating, because to me it’s the exact same principle. Like using IPA instead of paying extortion level prices for something like eraser, which is essentially boutique IPA with a scent. Who knows, just thinking out loud really.

I do see a lot of people in the optimum Facebook group struggle with the tire coating though, for one reason or another. I’ve not seen anyone have an okay experience. It’s either the dream, or they hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is the goal of every company, just put a doubt in your mind so you go: "Well, might as well follow the directions to the letter". It's nothing new, if you take cook books for 1930, they will list ingrediants by brand: Put 1 cup of "our company" butter. I think any butter would do nicelly

I agree with you on Eracer. Never used it, and never will. It might do a good job, but I have 5 other products that are very likelly better and cost a fraction of the price. Gtechniq also has a crazy expensive prep product called Panel Wipe. 27 can$ for a 16 oz bottle. It works well, but I did not notice any improvement over Duplicolor Grease and wax remover that I can buy for 15$ for 32 oz.

As for the facebook group, as for any coating, the preparation is the hard part. If people just slap that stuff on as if it was a tire dressing, they will have a dreadful experience. And when applied correctly, any coating should be pretty much perfect.

I put it on my own tires before I offered it to my clients. I think it look good. It has a bit of a plastic look to it, very hard to describe, but the tires are very uniform with just a little bit of shine. So as long as you don't like the heavy wet look, you should be happy with it.

2. Thanks Finick thanked for this post
    Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    As for the facebook group, as for any coating, the preparation is the hard part. If people just slap that stuff on as if it was a tire dressing, they will have a dreadful experience. And when applied correctly, any coating should be pretty much perfect.

I put it on my own tires before I offered it to my clients. I think it look good. It has a bit of a plastic look to it, very hard to describe, but the tires are very uniform with just a little bit of shine. So as long as you don't like the heavy wet look, you should be happy with it.
    The issue I encounter with the stuff is that I can’t spread it around. Before I make it 1/3 of the way around the tire, the stuff has become dry and impossible to spread around. It’s really, really weird.

My gut tells me to use more product, but I keep operating under the impression that it shouldn’t take much product at all to cover the tire. Next time I pick a tire to apply to, I may just apply more than I think I need. It certainly can’t come out worse than it has in previous attempts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Thank you and Dr. OLDZ, as well as everyone else here. I guess I'm going to need some paint thinner and strip them down and re-clean and hopefully get a better resultOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Tarx took the coating off in basically one round of scrubbing, so if you have something similar I’d try that. Only reason I ended up needing to do it twice was I couldn’t scrub the part of the sidewalk against the asphalt as thoroughly.

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've also used Optimum Tire Protection Coating, 2 coats. I didn't have good results unfortunately.

I will try again. Its possible that I did not clean the tires well enough. Will give it another shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I need some mineral spirits or Tarx, thank you everyone and I guess my cleaning wasn't good enough, especially considering how much product is soaked into my tires. Even when driving in the rain and washing afterwards the tires are never brown, just natural black.

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    That is the goal of every company, just put a doubt in your mind so you go: "Well, might as well follow the directions to the letter". .
    just went through this with PBL wheel coating. directions really hit on using their surface cleansing polish. I have tons of polishes, cleaners and strippers... do I really need this I ask myself? The coating is $60... another $30 for another bottle on a crowded shelf?

And then if it doesn't work as you had hoped there is this element of doubt. Is the product just not as advertised or is it my fault for not following the directions 100%...
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Klasse, how many different tire products have you used on those tires since you bought it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Klasse, how many different tire products have you used on those tires since you bought it?
    Gyeon Tire & Tire Express, Soft99 BLACKBLACK, Hydrosilex Slick, TW Endura tire coat (once) and a soon to be released to AG high tire gloss, I think that's itOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Gyeon Tire & Tire Express, Soft99 BLACKBLACK, Hydrosilex Slick, TW Endura tire coat (once) and a soon to be released to AG high tire gloss, I think that's itOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Wow, I guess you have to clean deeper for OTC to work.
    How did that second coat look?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Wow, I guess you have to clean deeper for OTC to work.
    How did that second coat look?
    Tires look great right now, sun is right on them. I'm going to just keep an eye on them, stay "tuned", LOL. Thanks for the follow up on this and the info, much appreciatedOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast