autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro Detailers that started later in their careers

Hey everyone. Just like the title says.Who has started this a bit later in life. Good experiences and bad. where you started/where you are/things you wish you did different. I'm 45 I hate my job, I detail on the side like a lot of us do, but I love detailing more than any other activity. I really want to get the proper training to help me be successful. I'm eyeballing the Renny Doyle classes or the Mike Phillips classes. I'm really just looking for a nudge down the best path. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pro Detailers that started later in their careers

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Hey everyone. Just like the title says.Who has started this a bit later in life. Good experiences and bad. where you started/where you are/things you wish you did different. I'm 45 I hate my job, I detail on the side like a lot of us do, but I love detailing more than any other activity. I really want to get the proper training to help me be successful. I'm eyeballing the Renny Doyle classes or the Mike Phillips classes. I'm really just looking for a nudge down the best path. Thank you
    43... quit mental health therapy after 20 years. Doing this now. Get a little tired but worth it. Different kind of tired. Been doing this most of my life. Mike is super. Not taken his class but seems very thorough. For me it was a good choice

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 55 and I think about a career in detailing every day. I enjoy my normal 9 to 5 where I make a decent living but I always think about a detailing business. Whenever I drive past a commercial property with a large bay door I often wonder how much the rent would be. If I was to do a detailing gig full time, I would definitely invest in one of Mike Philips Detailing Boot Camps.

4. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I figure I can work another 15-20 years. I just want it to be more on my terms. I'm just kind of looking for the best place to start on the next path I take in my life

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had thought of detailing when I was as young as y’all! I would recommend taking Mike’s class first to see if you really want to detail. You will get enough knowledge in this class to be able to work with various cars and finishes. You also get you use all the great polishing tools so you will figure out is you want to go Flex, Rupes, Griots or the others. I have taken Mike’s class and Renny’s class, both when over 60 so your not too late to learn now. I started mobile and then got a shop but still haven’t given up my day job. Also you should look into the Joining the IDA if you decide to become a detailer.

7. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fulltime or part time detailer. I dont detail for money, I do my family and friends cars here and there. Often to test new products and my skill. My car is almost perfect, so I have no reason to bust out the PC or the GG21 lol.

I will say life is short, do something you will love to do. Detailing is hard work as we all know and takes it toll on your body. I'll give you some tips that may help.
    1) Do your market research! Make sure you can sustain yourself in your area with new and existing clients.

2) Check your costs (renting a garage, renovating your garage to detail, mobile rig setup), water, chemicals, tools, insurance, electric, your time. See how many clients/what kind of numbers you need to churn weekly or daily to make a profit.

3) What kind of detailer do you want to be, high volume , mid level or high end.

I'm sure there are others that can chime in and give good info. I would absolutely recommend taking a class with Mike. He has been in the industry forver and knows his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going against the idea. Detailing is a tough physical demanding job and as you age you start breaking down. I was in great shape until age 47 and my back went out. I can still detail, but trying to do it for 10 hours a day 6 days a week would be suicide. I don’t want to rain on anyone’s dream but try to find a job that has a decent pension plan or make sure you pay yourself (save) with a less physical job. I’m 60 right now and I do people’s vehicles because I enjoy it. If I did it for a living I’m not sure if I would like it so much.

10. Likes Bill D, UncleDavy, SWETM, PaulMys, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel similarly. If I were to do it all the time, every day,I know I would grow to hate it.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing is pretty demanding on my 60 year old hips. I just started this hobby spring 2018 and after spending 6 to 8 hours washing,claying,compounding,polishing, sealing and all I can say is more power to the young full timers ( and I,m in decent shape, mens league ice hockey 1x a week, row, swim, bike n weights the non hockey days). Have a business plan and get a mentor that knows the business. Make sure you have fun along the way ! I’m currently a scientist full time for 35 years (still having fun) and stopped my part time wedding photography gig after 19 years because I stopped having fun.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Here's a trend that I've seen first hand in all my class, that includes,

3-day class here at Autogeek
    2-day roadshow class
    And yes, by boat detailing classes

I have predominantly men, but some women, that take one of my classes and even all of the above classes and they have either retired from their career job and want to start detailing for money, OR they are preparing to retire from their career job and want to start detailing for money.

And here's another insight I've gleaned from talking to these people,

1: They take my class to learn correct techniques so they have the confidence to tackle any detailing job and know they won't screw it up.

2: They want to test out all the primary tools currently being used in the detailing industry to find out which tool they like and works best for them BEFORE they start investing in tool, pads and products. This is key because I have had so many people go through my classes over the last 10 years here at Autogeek, (before that at Meguiar's), that started out by purchasing a tool, the pads and the products and then struggling to become proficient with the tool and also get the detail job done in a timely manner.

Then when they take my class and use all the tools and hundreds of different pads and products, sometimes they sadly find out they went with the wrong tool or "system" and then it sinks in that in order to get to where they want to be they're going to have to purchase yet another tool or tools, pads and products. (happens a lot). So there's a real benefit to taking any of the classes I teach just due to the mass volume of tools you get to use PLUS you are on your feet buffing out real cars, not demo hoods or cookie sheets.

3: The want to make money. When you take one of my classes I teach you how to make money in this business as we work through the class. There's something to be said from REAL life experience that I will share with you when you attend any of the classes. I actually teach to concepts, one is what to do and the other is what NOT to do and they are both important.

The people that fit this category, that is soon to retire or retired and starting a real detailing business, not just a hobby, they have come to realize that it's vitally important to actually learn how to make money, not just be detailing their buddies cars for a case of beer. And anyone reading this that has poured themselves into someone else's car for an entire day, plus used up expensive chemicals, pads, microfiber towels and the right tools for the job knows the work they have performed is worth a LOT more than a case of beer. So I show you have to earn your worth.

The above is just off the top of my head....

Also - I have confirmed 6 locations for roadshow classes and am working on confirming at least 2 more. You can see the current list here,

Available dates for 2019 Roadshow Classes

I will also be teaching at least one class in Spanish in Southern California this year and possibly more and definitely more into the future. My first newsletter should go out next week and it will have the dates and locations of all the confirmed roadshow classes in it. So be sure to be signed up for my newsletter.

Every year I see more people claiming the title of "instructor" and I applaud them and encourage them to pursue this if their true passion is like mine, and that is,

1: I love to detail cool cars.
    I'm actually an instructor that walks the talk. I practice what I preach and besides teaching classes I also detail cars. I don't see that with other's claiming to be "instructors", at least I can't find any write-ups where they share their work AND their passion.

2: I love to show others how to detail cars.
    Listen to what I say about this in my interview with Dennis Gage

I've been posting the above for decades now, that is my two passions, detailing cars and showing others how to detail cars and one of the comments I hear from people all the time is they can sense this passion when they take one of my classes. This is important. You don't what to take a class from someone that is simply doing this for money, or prestige? You want someone that is invested in your success.

I would recommend Renny Doyle's class. I've never taken it myself but I know Renny personally and he is the real deal and I'm sure he would say the same thing about me.

Before taking anyone's class, do some research, see if you can find ANY documentation via pictures, videos and testimonies that support or prove their authenticity. I would also see if you can find their credentials anywhere. I share my credentials in all my Roadshow class announce threads and here, see post #2

Autogeek's 2-Day Roadshow Detailing Classes with Mike Phillips

14. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast