autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pro Detailers that started later in their careers

Started at 41 and now I am 48. If I had to do it all over again, I would start doing facebook advertizing right away. I was trying to cut costs as much as possible during the first few years and was having a real hard time getting business. Traditional advertizing might be a total waste of money but social media one work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Started at 41 and now I am 48. If I had to do it all over again, I would start doing facebook advertizing right away. I was trying to cut costs as much as possible during the first few years and was having a real hard time getting business. Traditional advertizing might be a total waste of money but social media one work.
    Is the boost your post the advertising part of FB?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    Is the boost your post the advertising part of FB?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    No I never use that feature. I have done 1 campaign per month last year, always from scratch. This year I will be trying to get some marketing training to optimize what I will post. I thought about hiring someone to do it for me but I know myself and I won't be happy with what they will do. I am a lone wolf, I simply can't delegate no matter how much I want to.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have detailing since I was 18 or so,,,I'll be 47 this year.

Detailing can be tough on your body,especially your neck and shoulders,,or at least mine,but I'm in pretty decent shape otherwise and do firewood,hay baling and general farmwork to "stay loose"

I have always detailed for someone else and have him hawed about opening my own shop but I'm not really sure I have the drive for the long hours and hectic schedule it takes to push a business into success,I wish I was 20 years younger sometimes,,lol
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 45, been doing it professionally on an every day basis since 40. After say my third year, it really did a job on my joints...shoulder, elbow, wrist, fingers, lower back, knees. I never imagined it would be so physical...constant bending, twisting. On the other hand, I have zero stress in my life now...absolutely none. There is no mental drain, especially when you learn how to choose the right jobs, and avoid the crazy people. Time literally flies, but the body always aches LOL. Still, I would never go back to the "real world"

7. Likes UncleDavy, 8SecGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    I have detailing since I was 18 or so,,,I'll be 47 this year.

Detailing can be tough on your body,especially your neck and shoulders,,or at least mine,but I'm in pretty decent shape otherwise and do firewood,hay baling and general farmwork to "stay loose"

I have always detailed for someone else and have him hawed about opening my own shop but I'm not really sure I have the drive for the long hours and hectic schedule it takes to push a business into success,I wish I was 20 years younger sometimes,,lol
    Mobile detailing is the best my friend. You make your own schedule and you don't have huge expenses to force you to work. Plus it allows you to deduct part of your residence and utilities as business expenses. I don't see myself going into a shop even if I would love the conveniance of having a controled environment to do the work. The idea of starting every month 2000$ in the hole after paying rent and utilities is a huge turn off for me.

9. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Wax View Post
    I'm 45, been doing it professionally on an every day basis since 40. After say my third year, it really did a job on my joints...shoulder, elbow, wrist, fingers, lower back, knees. I never imagined it would be so physical...constant bending, twisting. On the other hand, I have zero stress in my life now...absolutely none. There is no mental drain, especially when you learn how to choose the right jobs, and avoid the crazy people. Time literally flies, but the body always aches LOL. Still, I would never go back to the "real world"
    Yes, hard for the body to be sure. If you find it too hard, you could try to figure out what part of detailing is hardest for you and not offer that service anymore. Also, being mindful of it could allow you to change the way you position yourself doing the tasks so you would not tax you body as much.

For exemple, when I first started, I was bending over to polish the doors. Now I sit down to do them. Was doing the same thing for vacuuming, just bending over, now I sit on the door jamb to do the work.

For vibration, you can get better tools. When I started I had a Meguiars DA and that thing was like a giant vibrator on steroids. When I updgraded to the Rupes Bigfoot 21 it made a huge difference. You can also wear padded gloves to absorb some of the vibration.

One of the most important aspect to me is to protect yourself against chemical products. I always wear Nitril gloves while working. Many of the products we use are horible for the skin, but worse than can be bad for the health too. An other thing you can do is work with products that are not as toxic when you can. For exemple ONR can be used in various ways and that product is gentle.

11. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes Mad Wax, 8SecGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, hard for the body to be sure. If you find it too hard, you could try to figure out what part of detailing is hardest for you and not offer that service anymore. Also, being mindful of it could allow you to change the way you position yourself doing the tasks so you would not tax you body as much.

For exemple, when I first started, I was bending over to polish the doors. Now I sit down to do them. Was doing the same thing for vacuuming, just bending over, now I sit on the door jamb to do the work.

For vibration, you can get better tools. When I started I had a Meguiars DA and that thing was like a giant vibrator on steroids. When I updgraded to the Rupes Bigfoot 21 it made a huge difference. You can also wear padded gloves to absorb some of the vibration.

One of the most important aspect to me is to protect yourself against chemical products. I always wear Nitril gloves while working. Many of the products we use are horible for the skin, but worse than can be bad for the health too. An other thing you can do is work with products that are not as toxic when you can. For exemple ONR can be used in various ways and that product is gentle.
    Great points brother!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for the point regarding PPE! Everyone should invest in good disposable gloves and a respirator. I see so many people and especially these new tangled YouTube experts cleaning wheels and apply cermaic coatings with no gloves or respirators!

Just remember, if it's on your skin, it's in your body. I actually wear eye protection if I wash wheels with harsh chemicals, because it splashed in my eyes once while brushing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12