autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Paint Protective Film Preferred Sealant?

My new Toyota Tacoma came with a Toyoguard Platinum package that included a paint protective film on the hood and mirrors applied by Southeast Toyota. It also came with paint protection (I assume a sealant of some sort) applied by Southeast Toyota.

Does anyone know if it is recommended to apply a sealant or wax to the protective film and if so what is the preferred product? I apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to all my other cars and also use Meguiars Last Touch as a drying agent and quick detailer. Are these products recommended with protective film? I also occasionally use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant and WG Fuzion Spray Wax on my other cars.

Also does anyone have any information about what type of pant protection (I assume sealant) that Toyota uses? The film and paint protection is applied by Southeast Toyota before they reach the dealership. The salesman told me to treat the film like I would paint, but, I do not think he was very knowledgeable. Thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Paint Protective Film Preferred Sealant?

I would assume the film is a form of clear bra. The quality of it may be unknown though... I would be surprised if it was applied in the “factory”. Most of the stuff like tint,wrapping, and film is applied by a contractor who they most likely are paying a low amount of money for. Protect as you would paint and don’t use any thing with abrasives on it. Products with UV protection will be the best because clear film tends to yellow over time. Especially if it’s cheap. I used to apply packages like that for one of the Audi dealer ships in San Antonio Texas. Eventually our contract got sold to The expel installers since they were able to offer a lower price. The markup for those products is insane. They would pay the shop $250 for our lowest package which I think was door cups and quarter of hood and then sell that same package to customer for an add on of $1200

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    I would assume the film is a form of clear bra. The quality of it may be unknown though... I would be surprised if it was applied in the “factory”. Most of the stuff like tint,wrapping, and film is applied by a contractor who they most likely are paying a low amount of money for. Protect as you would paint and don’t use any thing with abrasives on it. Products with UV protection will be the best because clear film tends to yellow over time. Especially if it’s cheap. I used to apply packages like that for one of the Audi dealer ships in San Antonio Texas. Eventually our contract got sold to The expel installers since they were able to offer a lower price. The markup for those products is insane. They would pay the shop $250 for our lowest package which I think was door cups and quarter of hood and then sell that same package to customer for an add on of $1200

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    It's applied at the port by Southeast Toyota before they reach the dealerships along with other add ons according to Toyota. I'm not sure about the quality of the product. Of course Toyota says it's great, precision cut etc. Is there a particular sealant you would recommend using?

Post Thanks / Like

The stuff on my friends 2017 Toyota looks pretty bad only after a few years. Already yellowed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack1 View Post
    Does anyone know if it is recommended to
    apply a sealant or wax to the protective film

•With the above highlighted information in mind...
    -I don’t see any reason(s), whatsoever, that you
    cannot continue with your current products and
    methods—as listed in your OP—on both the PPF
    and the vehicle’s non-PPF’d-paintwork.

I apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    to all my other cars and also use Meguiars
    Last Touch as a drying agent and quick detailer.

I also occasionally use Wolfgang Deep Gloss
    Spritz Sealant and WG Fuzion Spray Wax on
    my other cars.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

My new Toyota Tacoma came with a Toyoguard Platinum package that included a paint protective film on the hood and mirrors applied by Southeast Toyota. It also came with paint protection (I assume a sealant of some sort) applied by Southeast Toyota.

Does anyone know if it is recommended to apply a sealant or wax to the protective film and if so what is the preferred product? I apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to all my other cars and also use Meguiars Last Touch as a drying agent and quick detailer. Are these products recommended with protective film? I also occasionally use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant and WG Fuzion Spray Wax on my other cars.

Also does anyone have any information about what type of pant protection (I assume sealant) that Toyota uses? The film and paint protection is applied by Southeast Toyota before they reach the dealership. The salesman told me to treat the film like I would paint, but, I do not think he was very knowledgeable. Thank you for your help.
    We have "Toyota" PPF on our hybrid RAV4. I waxed it with 476s and then use OCW weekly as a drying agent and it has stayed in nice shape for 1.5 years, parked outside all-year in NorCal. I wouldn't use a polisher on it but the spray wax seems to take it in quite well.