autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti clear coat restorer thoughts l.

Anyone bought opti’s sema launch product yet? Clear coat restorer there is YouTube the rag company shot it with the Opti guy with respirators on. Guess it worse than a coating smell.

2. Likes Demonicus666 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti clear coat restorer thoughts l.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    Anyone bought opti’s sema launch product yet? Clear coat restorer there is YouTube the rag company shot it with the Opti guy with respirators on. Guess it worse than a coating smell.
    No but it looks awesome. Reminds me of clear coat self healing like immortal from cquartz

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There is more info in this thread

The World is About to Change
    The World is About to Change

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    Have not tried it yet but I think it could be very usuful for those front bumper covers that are so hammered that compounding does almost nothing to them.

Someone on facebook mentionned that the product is 100$ per bottle, which is enough to do a full vehicle. The issue is that this product is a clearcoat product and it goes bad very quickly after opening the bottle. I feel they should have a smaller size bottle that would be enough to do a panel or two. And buying a bottle just to try it out is pretty expensive.

Yvan mentioned that packaging this product is complicated. I don't know if they can make various size bottles or not, but if they can, it would be a good idea to do so if they want this product to become popular with profesionnals.

If I am to use this on a bumper, I will need to charge about 150$ for the service... that is pretty expensive for just 1 panel on top of everything else I am doing on the vehicle.

6. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t believe a clear coat without an activator or catalyst can be durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailsbydennis View Post
    I don’t believe a clear coat without an activator or catalyst can be durable.
    So by extension that would mean that a coating can't be durable, either? And what does that say for (non-catalyzed) single-stage paint?

Post Thanks / Like

1K clear is less durable than 2K for sure. With that being said, this might be an entirelly different product than an acrylic clear like 1K.

Also, this is no designed to replace the clearcoat, it is a fix for clear that is in horrible shape. You spend 100$ to prevent having the car being repainted. I think that is a pretty awesome product for what it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    1K clear is less durable than 2K for sure. With that being said, this might be an entirelly different product than an acrylic clear like 1K.
    Less durable is different than "not durable". This product has something like 5 times the film build as a coating. OPT says that it's not as hard or as chemical resistant as a coating, but it is "better than body shop clear", whatever that means, but considering bodyshop clear is 2K, AFAIK, it sounds pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Less durable is different than "not durable". This product has something like 5 times the film build as a coating. OPT says that it's not as hard or as chemical resistant as a coating, but it is "better than body shop clear", whatever that means, but considering bodyshop clear is 2K, AFAIK, it sounds pretty good.
    Well, time will tell. From what I have seen so far, which is not much, it looks very promissing.

This product is much thicker than a coating but much thinner than the clearcoat layer. Yvan was talking about 5 to 10 micron thickness in his presentation video. So that puts it at 5 to 10 times the thickness of a coating and less than 20% of the thickness of the clearcoat.

Regardless, I don't think it should be compared with either since it is not gonna be used on cars in good condition like a coatings, nor as a replacement of the clearcoat during the paint process.

One of the products that Optimum just introduced that looks frickin amazing is Opti-shield! I am so sad that as a mobile detailer I won't be able to offer this! I don't know the cost for that product, but spraying on a PPF type protection is just great. I don't know how durable it is compared to say Plasti-dip or an actual PPF, but if that product is any good, I am sure it will be a big hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Well, time will tell. From what I have seen so far, which is not much, it looks very promissing.
    Heck, I'm the guy that started the other thread about this product, and I think for certain applications it will be a miracle product.

But, since I'm a glass half-full kind of guy, I think this product isn't going to be around for long as a consumer product, because it's not going to take long for someone to set their garage on fire, or poison their kid after they find it in the freezer when they're looking for the ice cream. I'm not even that crazy about using it, because I imagine the emphasis on respiratory protection and possible allergic reaction makes me think there is isocyanate content. Back in the day paints that contained polyisocyanates (like DuPont Imron, and I believe the 2K clears are the same, as a two-part polyurethane) required air-fed respirators, of course that was in the paint booth, but it was a no-fooling-around risk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast