autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti clear coat restorer thoughts l.

So their is no point on decent polished paint? I still want to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    So their is no point on decent polished paint? I still want to try it.
    nope..this product will not bond on polished paint..If you want to use this product then compound the paint with wool pad or microfiber pad then apply this product..it will not bond to polished paint according to youtube comments..plus if you can polish the paint then you wont need this product.. might be good option for thin paint i suppose..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone on the autogeek forum tried this yet. Is it sold by AutoGeek. I have several applications that would be perfect.

Mike P. We are looking to the Mountain for wisdom and guidance.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle haven’t used it yet. I bought it for swirled clear coat wheels. I need to compound and polish these wheels which is PIA so I bought this instead I’m actually going to sand 1000-1500-2000 and I was hoping to apply over 2000 grit but I’m not sure if this is a good idea. I also want to put multiple coats on I’m thinking three. Then I’m putting ceramic wheel coating on. I should really contact opti. I’m afraid to crack it open because it spoils so fast... 30 days I bought on eBay 60ml air tight aluminum bottles as soon as I crack open I’m going to fill two of those bottles up try to limit oxygen exposure to keep it longer then I have a vac pack.

Has anyone used this?

The mountain from Game of thrones?

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of stock wheels are these that are worth going through all this for? Pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody use this with success. The videos that I have watched aren’t particularly “clear.” Pun intended.

Mike Phillips has Autogeek tried this? Any thoughts?

My son’s 4runner, dark blue, clear coat has gone hazy. Looks like the car has been wet sanded with 1500 grit. No checking, no peeling. Repainted about 5 years ago.

I tried compounding with marginal success. It looks bettter but is still not great.

Opti clear coat restorer looks like the perfect fix. I always like the reviews on the forum, lots of skilled pros and enthusiasts. I am hoping that someone has some experience, good or bad.

Thanks. Phil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What kind of stock wheels are these that are worth going through all this for? Pics?
    I have a tuff time putting pics up on forum google 2014 ford edge sport wheels. they are the nicest ive seen from a factory. very tank like ride. look good but ride like chit.

I'm sanding Saturday then hitting with wool pad then clear coat then ceramic I will try to post before and after pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    Opti clear coat restorer looks like the perfect fix. I always like the reviews on the forum, lots of skilled pros and enthusiasts. I am hoping that someone has some experience, good or bad.
    They say it isn't for hazy (failed) paint, more for scratches that you can't polish out. Like you, I'm waiting for someone to try it on failed clear. I was going to do it, but I'm uncomfortable with the warnings and they (Optimum) say there is no MSDS available (yet). I'm not sure how you can sell a product if there is not MSDS available. There's also all the shelf life issues.

So...since the Gelcoat restorer, which came out first (and I don't think is sold here yet), is supposed to restore faded gelcoat without polishing, I thought it might work on faded clear. It's cheap (in comparison) and doesn't have to be frozen, so I decided to try it since the label warnings aren't so dire (also no MSDS yet).

I tried it on some exposed basecoat on my friend's car and it did darken it and increase the beading (sorry, no pics ) The stuff (Gelcoat Restorer) reminded me of tire coating...and since I have a quart and I'm rotating my tires next week...I'm going to try it on the backs.

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this thread so we all know opti wants wool on rotary before the restorer. I did a couple test spot for my use of the product for wheels the wool can be done but it’s hard work try to get angles and not burn. what I have found is a magic eraser scuffed up the painted surface nice creating uniform surface with enough surface roughness that CCR sticks and levels out nicely I’m gonna put photos up once I can figure it out. So anyone using CCR a magic dresser might help you in tough hard to reach spots. If I had a whole car to do I think it would be easier with magic ereaser over my makita rotary

10. Thanks Diner, oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Less durable is different than "not durable". This product has something like 5 times the film build as a coating. OPT says that it's not as hard or as chemical resistant as a coating, but it is "better than body shop clear", whatever that means, but considering bodyshop clear is 2K, AFAIK, it sounds pretty good.
    And when it cures, you can ceramic coat over it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast