autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How fast can you wash an "average" size car?

I mostly do Rineseless washes and clean the body & wheels in 20 minutes. And after 18 months of ownership there are no swirls. 2 buckets, only a Grit Guard in the rinse bucket, high quality Microfiber wash mitt, 370 GSM towels to damp wipe, Detail Spray to extra shine and GG 16x16 PFM towels to dry.

2. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This question has been asked numerous times over the years and there are always those who say they can thoroughly wash and dry a car, start to finish, in less than 30 mins. - some even stating they can do it in 15 mins. I have to call B.S on this! They're either doing a half-assed job or they're leaving parts unwashed, which actually falls under the first option.
    To properly do all 4 wheels/tires - including the barrels, remove all the bugs and splatter on the front end - including the grille work, removing the tar, gum, etc., that's been slung up onto the lower portion of the car, wash inside the gas door, wash the mirrors, and then the main body of the car, there's no way this can be done in less than 30 mins.
    I'm shocked when I pull it off in less than an hour!
    I challenge anyone who says they can do a proper, complete wash and dry in less than 30 mins. to prove it by making a video and posting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    This question has been asked numerous times over the years and there are always those who say they can thoroughly wash and dry a car, start to finish, in less than 30 mins. - some even stating they can do it in 15 mins. I have to call B.S on this! They're either doing a half-assed job or they're leaving parts unwashed, which actually falls under the first option.
    To properly do all 4 wheels/tires - including the barrels, remove all the bugs and splatter on the front end - including the grille work, removing the tar, gum, etc., that's been slung up onto the lower portion of the car, wash inside the gas door, wash the mirrors, and then the main body of the car, there's no way this can be done in less than 30 mins.
    I challenge anyone who says they can do a proper, complete wash and dry in less than 30 mins. to prove it by making a video and posting it.
    That's why I said 2 hours. 30 minutes is how long it takes me to do wheels alone I think. Probably half hour to set up and later to put things away / clean up brushes and buckets. The washing the car part is the fastest. Drying also takes a while as I first use a blow dryer and then go around the whole car with quick detailer and a towel. Then windows and tires. Usually between 1.5 and 2 hours, mostly closer to the 2 hour mark.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    That's why I said 2 hours. 30 minutes is how long it takes me to do wheels alone I think. Probably half hour to set up and later to put things away / clean up brushes and buckets. The washing the car part is the fastest. Drying also takes a while as I first use a blow dryer and then go around the whole car with quick detailer and a towel. Then windows and tires. Usually between 1.5 and 2 hours, mostly closer to the 2 hour mark.
    I think you're right on the actual true time involved, Bruno.
    That's not including the beer runs. There's another half hour right there!

6. Likes Bruno Soares, Rrthomas78 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2 1/2 to 3 for my F150. Wheels, tires and wheel wells take me 40 minutes. I usually wipe out door jams and interior side of glass. Includes clean the bed liner with a broom. I don't rush just a steady pace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    A big factor is how dirty the car is. With a good spray wax I can go two weeks and not have anything really "stick" to the paint. Sure a drive through bug country might increase that time signigicantly but my routine washes, not an issue.

9. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    A big factor is how dirty the car is.
    This.How fast can you wash an "average" size car?

I can waterless wash my car in less than 6min... If I do it everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it differs if your doing for business or pleasure. Washing wheels with mitt and tool to get corners can be done in 1-2 mins. Most when doing wash and vac for customers don’t get into the barrels but that takes another min per wheel if needed to get in and out. I spend 10-15 mins per corner as I clean face with boars hair detail brush (scared bigger ones will scream have matte finish). Wheel woolie barrels and calipers then use a Merlin type mixture with to dry. Also use dedicated wheel cleaner that needs to dwell. Most customers when getting care just washed and wax are not expecting this kind of level of service. When doing it for hobby time is not money. I could do a car to a decent level of retail clean if I did it for money in 30-45 mins. My car as this is a hobby can take 2-5 hours depending on what rabbit hole I fell down today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

yakky
    i think we need to set up a live video with the clock running. in 30 minutes I could probably wash & dry my truck(short bed standard cab ram). but dragging out all the equipment & putting everything back has got to kill the clock. I didn't time myself today but first I did the wheels & tires. then when when I rinsed them off I also rinsed the truck off. then back in to change the soapy water to do the sheet metal. also I used a pressure washer & a foam cannon. I'm sure you're referring to a hose, wash bucket and a towel in a half hour. I'll give it a try in warmer weather but don't see it happening. I mean if it were a competition maybe. If i were pressed for time i may rush, but most the time i like to enjoy what I'm doing. oh and don't forget I had to go back in the garage & look for my McKee's 37 turbo dryer. I'm subscribed so I'll time myself next time, let you know.
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

That really depends on what you do during the wash.

For me, if I do a detailled cleaning of the wheels and a 2 bucket wash, usually between 90 to 120 minutes including the drying time and dressing of the trims and tires.

If I do a quick maintenance wash which is only a quick spraying of wheel cleaners with pressure washing of the wheels and do a rinseless wash, about 45 to 60 minutes with drying and dressing.

A quick breakdown of steps and times:

Setting up (filling buckets, plugging the pressure washer, filling foam cannon, etc) : 15 minutes
    Pressure washer pre-wash: 10 minutes
    Quick wheel cleaning: 5 minutes
    Detailled wheel cleaning: 40 minutes
    Foam bath and detailled cleaning of the badges and all nook and crannies: 15 minutes
    Pressure rinse off: 5 minutes
    Wash : 15 minutes
    Rinse off (if doing 2 bucket wash): 5 minutes
    Blow drying of mirrors and nook and crannies: 10 minutes
    Towel drying of the car and application of spray wax : 15 minutes
    Dressing trims and tires: 10 minutes

Those are the maximum times, usually takes me a little less than that for each step unless there is a problem to be resolved.

I did not include and decontamination steps, those can make the work much longer depending what is needed.

14. Likes Bruno Soares, VitreousHumor liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast