autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I would skip the compounding step and only polish the paint. Since you are experience clearcoat failure your paint is most certain thinner and a compounding will only move it nearer to more. It's not necessary to do both sealant and wax. Go with a good sealant and get a drying aid or after drying apply it. I would look into Optimum Car Wax as it's ability to block UV as a topper. And you could go with an AIO and maintance with OCW. Since an AIO is often less aggressive than a polish and gives you a little protection behind as well. The polish will gloss and clean the paint great. The compounding is more for going after as much of defects as possible. So in your situation I would not advise to compound.

/ Tony
    I agree with using an All In One.

In this situation Duragloss 101 "Polish & Cleaner" would get the nod. It is a synthetic cleaner wax. So it has a really light abrasive to lightly exfoliate the paint, and remove some really light scratches and seals with their durable polymer.

Iike 101 on black Buff and Shine pads, which are a bit more rigid and aggressive than the Lake Country, offering.

Yeah, go with the Griot's GG6 for your polisher. Lifetime warranty on it.

2. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, drei4runner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Tony said

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Other than the clearcoat fail, your paint doesn't look bad at all (of course I don't know what it looks like IRL). Do you really need/want to polish? Even by hand? Do you wash the car yourself? I would second the Optimum Car Wax (OCW), which has UV inhibitors in it (make sure you shake the bottle frequently while you're using it, it separates), or Duragloss AquaWax, or Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax (same as the Detailer Line Synthetic Xpress Wax). Those can be put on while you're drying the car. If you wash the car even monthly, any of those ought to keep you in pretty good shape when used at that frequency.

That's just a suggestion to keep things simple, you can, of course, make things as complicated as you want...some of us if we had it to do over again would keep it on the simple end of things.

6. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Likes drei4runner liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking to get the clearcoat redone, talk to the body shop, they might have loaners available.

Waxes have carnauba in them. They tend to give your vehicle a "warmer glow". Waxes also dont last as long so you need to apply more often to keep your paint and clearcoat protected.

Sealants are often times more durable. They can give your car
    a "hard candy coating" or extra layer of clearcoat" type look to the paint. They tend to last longer than wax. I think a sealant would look great on your color.

Some great sealants I've used are Collinite 845, Finish Kare 1000p Hi Temp paste wax, and Duragloss Clear Coat Polish #111 with the #601 bonding agent. I think I like the Duragloss best on my wife's silver Jeep.

Like I said earlier, terms in the detailing industry can get interchanged. The Hi Temp paste wax is a sealant. And the Duragloss Clearcoat Polish isn't a polish as there are no abrasives in it to polish the paint or remove swirls.

Good luck in your endeavor! Read everything Mike Phillips has written. Watch his videos. Use what he uses. Keep us up to date.

8. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I would skip the compounding step and only polish the paint. Since you are experience clearcoat failure your paint is most certain thinner and a compounding will only move it nearer to more. It's not necessary to do both sealant and wax. Go with a good sealant and get a drying aid or after drying apply it. I would look into Optimum Car Wax as it's ability to block UV as a topper. And you could go with an AIO and maintance with OCW. Since an AIO is often less aggressive than a polish and gives you a little protection behind as well. The polish will gloss and clean the paint great. The compounding is more for going after as much of defects as possible. So in your situation I would not advise to compound.

/ Tony
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an OCW? I know what an AIO is but so far haven't heard of OCW before in the short amount of time I've been researching on how to properly polish and wax my vehicle. Thanks.

Disregard. After reading your reply more carefully and also reading the other replies, I realized what OCW stood for. Thanks again for your input.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum and you have been given great advice from our fellow members. As far as a polisher is concerned, I have not heard of that brand name that you are looking at on Amazon so I do not know much about it. What I can tell you is that if you buy cheap, you get cheap. Many of us started on with the Porter Cable 7424XP. It is a great starter machine with plenty of power to polish out some defects and add an even coat of sealant. The Griots GG6 is a very popular machine and one that I recently moved up to. Shop around and find the best deal. Then bring that to Autogeek.net and they will match the price.

14. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I appreciate it. I took your suggestions and purchased some of the items that were mentioned in this thread, specifically the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Combo and the Duragloss Clear Coat Polish #111 and Bonding Agent #601. I did also purchase a polishing compound to do all my vehicles. A couple of the vehicles, specially my son's Accord and other son's Rav4 have been neglected. Unfortunately I haven't purchased a DA yet. It's been raining a lot here in Southern California so I haven't had the chance to wash any of my vehicles. I'm just gonna wait on purchasing the GG 6 for a bit. Hopefully the sale will still be up. Just bummed that I missed the President's Day Sale for the extra 25% off

16. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

25% off usually doesn’t cover polishers. Only a few sales a year cover polishers. Best bet when ready pep boys offer 20% off online most of the time. Have Autogeek match it when ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    25% off usually doesn’t cover polishers. Only a few sales a year cover polishers. Best bet when ready pep boys offer 20% off online most of the time. Have Autogeek match it when ready.

Thanks for that info. I thought that this past President's Day Sale did cover it. I put in the discount code and it took 25% off. Unfortunately I couldn't complete the sale and when I returned the following day, the sale ended already.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast