autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Question

Hello there. New to the forum and new to car detailing. The only experience I have in detailing a car is washing it and doing the old school method of using a compound and then waxing everything afterwards by hand which was taught to me by my dad many moons ago. Sad to say it’s been years since I’ve actually polished and waxed a vehicle. I usually just take it to a car wash place every once in a blue moon to get it clay barred and waxed. I have no experience with either a rotary or DA machine.

So now that my brief history with car detailing has been explained my question is this, my 4Runner’s clear coat is cracking in certain places on the roof and a small section of the roof’s clear coat has started peeling. See pictures

My question is, how would I go about fixing the clear coat? My worry is that if I use a DA polisher on the peeling clear coat, it might make it worse by making the clear coat peel even more. Or am I just worrying too much? As far as getting the vehicle repainted, that’s out of the question as this my daily driver and I can’t afford to not have a vehicle.

Also can you suggest of a good brand of polish and wax that won’t break my bank? And also what do you folks think of the GoPlus Hyet DA polisher sold on Amazon? I’m not trying to break my bank as this is more geared towards a necessity and not as a business venture.

Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie Question

First... Welcome. Second cant really fix without repainting. One can slow it down. Sealant. Wax. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Dodo Juice waxes I like. Lots of good stuff on Autogeek. Key is to keep it on there. As in after so long one needs to reapply.

Dont know anything about that polisher but cant go wrong with the Griots Garage GG6. Also sold here. Just stay away from where the peel is with the pads to be safe maybe.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

3. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Likes drei4runner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    First... Welcome. Second cant really fix without repainting. One can slow it down. Sealant. Wax. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Dodo Juice waxes I like. Lots of good stuff on Autogeek. Key is to keep it on there. As in after so long one needs to reapply.

Dont know anything about that polisher but cant go wrong with the Griots Garage GG6. Also sold here. Just stay away from where the peel is with the pads to be safe maybe.

Good luck.

First thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Second, how would I go about applying the sealant or wax without damaging more of the clear coat without using a polisher? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drei4runner View Post
    First thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Second, how would I go about applying the sealant or wax without damaging more of the clear coat without using a polisher? Thanks

By hand... foam applicator. Could use a red pad on a D/A but don't have to per se. Judging by those pictures the failure didn't look too bad. If you have to go over the failed spots just be very gentle so maybe it doesn't flake off more.

Otherwise seal it up and just keep it sealed to prolong the life.

6. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont know anything about that polisher but cant go wrong with the Griots Garage GG6.
    This.

Do not throw away 60 bucks on junk trying to save 50.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Thanks Goonie75 thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If just using once in a few moons and don’t want to spend 100$+ I’d go with HF over the Hyet. When I first started collecting things for my 1st polish and coating last year I looked into the hyet and was not bad. Reason I recommend HF is get their warranty. If it goes out it’s probably going to be while using it and you can take back and exchange for 2 years. This will keep you from having to stop and order another polisher from Jeff. He’s in the middle of a divorce and might not get right back to you....

All that being said if your budget will allow I agree with the griots. Look around, find one on sale. If AG carrys what you want and you find it cheaper do the right thing and call up for a price match. AG’s customer service is top notch and company should be supported for hosting this forum.

10. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

this is not an answer, more like a question ? that clear is definitely peeling but the paint looks intact. couldn't a body shop sand & re-clear that roof ? maybe you could check in with a local shop & get their opinion. there's no way it's going to get better by waxing it. if you do speak to a body shop I'd be interested in their opinion. good luck
    hmardown

12. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    this is not an answer, more like a question ? that clear is definitely peeling but the paint looks intact. couldn't a body shop sand & re-clear that roof ? maybe you could check in with a local shop & get their opinion. there's no way it's going to get better by waxing it. if you do speak to a body shop I'd be interested in their opinion. good luck
    hmardown
    Thanks. I’ll check on that. Don’t want to spend too much but if it’s not too bad then I’ll do it

Post Thanks / Like

First... Welcome. Second cant really fix without repainting. One can slow it down. Sealant. Wax. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Dodo Juice waxes I like. Lots of good stuff on Autogeek.

What do you think of HD Poxy? Is it the same as the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant and Dodo Juice waxes? It seems like the HD Poxy is a combination of both a sealant and wax.

Also would this be the proper way to start off with polishing and waxing my vehicle?
    1. Use a compound
    2. Use a polish
    3. Use a sealant
    4. Use a wax

Or is there something I don’t need in one of those steps I mentioned. I’m not trying to fully correct my paint, but I do want to bring back some of its luster and shine to it.

Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I would skip the compounding step and only polish the paint. Since you are experience clearcoat failure your paint is most certain thinner and a compounding will only move it nearer to more. It's not necessary to do both sealant and wax. Go with a good sealant and get a drying aid or after drying apply it. I would look into Optimum Car Wax as it's ability to block UV as a topper. And you could go with an AIO and maintance with OCW. Since an AIO is often less aggressive than a polish and gives you a little protection behind as well. The polish will gloss and clean the paint great. The compounding is more for going after as much of defects as possible. So in your situation I would not advise to compound.

/ Tony

16. Thanks drei4runner thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, drei4runner liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast